How Many Boxes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glpease

Reaction score
Please indulge my rambling, for a moment, about the structure of the forum.

I'd like to suggest the possibility that there are too many boxes in the different categories - too many sub-categories. I'm pretty much of the notion that pipes is pipes, tobaccos is tobaccos. Most of our discussion is likely to be about briar, for instance, but I see no reason for meerschaums to be relegated to their own pigeon hole. I'm only somewhat interested in them, so am not likely to wander into that sub-category, though I'd almost certainly read a thread about them in a more general "Pipes" category.

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear...

There is a category, "Pipes." Within that category are several sub-categories, and within each of those sub-categories is the potential to become a tapestry of threads of many colours. Those threads do the job of sub-categorization perfectly well, I would think, and the extra layer in the taxonomy is pretty much pointless, and may be counterproductive. At least, the way *I* tend to use these things, the extra layer discourages me from exploring things I might otherwise do.

Similarly, many of us enjoy multiple sub-categories of tobaccos, but with the current scheme, I'd be hard pressed (and sliced!) to figure out where to post something about, say, Fillmore, which is a VA blend, but does contain that delicate hint o'Latakia. What about things like Campanile, Dorsico, Embarcadero - blends that aren't VAs, exactly? Sure, they'd go into the General subcat, but so would anything else, so why the breakdown?

So, personally, IMNSHO, and all other disclaimers, I'd love to see some simplification. Of course, I'm only one guy. (But, I AM the Dark Lord, after all, and if you don't want to experience my fierce and fiery wrath, you'll simply roll over and agree with me...)

It seems to me that too often, complexity is created to allow for "the future," but, truthfully, I don't see a board like this ever getting SO densely poplulated or heavily trafficked that the added layer would enhance the user experience, and at present, at least to my mind (I'm only one guy), it actually detracts from it.

Others? Bueller? Bueller?

Bueller?

-Zero

I actually agree. Really all we need is.... General Discusion
Pipes
Tobacco
Outlandish Vito topics

I would also leave the 'reviews' sub catagory. For the formal type reviews.

I don't disagree. When I was setting them up I just basically starting throwing things out as they popped into my mind. More to have "something" there for when people started showing up and to get used to how the system worked. I am not set on the layout what so ever. In fact here's a quote from my "Starting out... " thread-
We'll also have to figure out what Categories and Sections we want on the forums. I just put up what came to mind when I was setting it up. It's far from complete so if you have any ideas post them in the Community Direction section. Even if you think we should trash the current organization and start from scratch.
Each Category is separated by boxes, each category has multiple forums. With that in mind what should the lay out be?

One more thing - all that said, I want to express my deepest thanks to J for getting this whole thing going in the first place! Whether or not I may like the category/sub-category structure, in theory, mind you, takes nothing at all away from the fact that this forum was created in the first place to satisfy the wants of a thriving virtual community, and for that, I do the happy dance in a purple satin tutu... (No, the YouTube version will not be televised...)

-Z

If it where me,and I realize I am one vote. I'd put these boxs up

Community Direction & Help
General Discusion
Pipes
Tobacco
(sub catagory:Reviews)
Cigars

everything really fits into those catagorys, I dont know how much work it'd be to move everything now, but if your going to do it I'd imagine it'd be easier to do it quickly.

I'm not being a critic like that Greg guy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I'm just tossing in my buck fortythree

J,

Thinking about it a little more, the problem only really exists when posting something new. For reading, I just go to the "New since last visit" thang anyway, so I'll see whatever was put up in the last, oh, fifteen seconds or so. ;) (Yeah, sometimes, I need a life...)

I think the "General" category is probably sufficient for pipes and tobaccos, though I really like the sub-categories in the "Community" category. That is a case where the increased level of granularity helps to convey the structure, rather than imposing a structure where one isn't necessary.

Just another twopence worth.

-Z

LOL...I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the 'post since last visit ' deal...lol.

Personally I like the pipes and tobacco being in diff catagorys but it really doesnt matter.

The reason. Some people (even here) dont like alot of the crap that goes on in the GD band of the board. It gives them refuge from us when we get going about politics and conspiracy theorys and gears in trucks and all that silly stuff. Yeah I know "if ya dont like it dont click it", but who can resist.

Also I'd leave 'yardsale' up

puros_bran":ph385hzh said:
LOL...I'm glad I'm not the only one that does the 'post since last visit ' deal...lol.

Personally I like the pipes and tobacco being in diff catagorys but it really doesnt matter.

The reason. Some people (even here) dont like alot of the crap that goes on in the GD band of the board. It gives them refuge from us when we get going about politics and conspiracy theorys and gears in trucks and all that silly stuff. Yeah I know "if ya dont like it dont click it", but who can resist.

Also I'd leave 'yardsale' up
I just read what I'd written, and again, I didn't express myself clearly. I agree that "Pipes" and "Tobacco" should be separate categories, with each containing only a "General" sub-category untill such time as something else may be needed.

I'll offer up my lawn clippings in "Yard Sale..."

-Z

I agree with the other gentlemen's thoughts on this. Should be an easy matter to move a few threads and delete some sub-categories. Do it while it's still small.

Something I have noticed about the forums on the Internet in general. Not just here. Last time I managed to get into the Knox board was yesterday from worked. It dropped during a post I was making. I have tried from two different OS's and three different browsers from home, and not managed to get in for several days.

This board has been running just a bit slow for me from home. Unknown why. Just the past two days.

I rambled enough.

As soon as we get some more input and I figure out how to move the existing posts into the General forums without deleting them I'll start making changes.

As it sits now my understanding is to leave the Community section alone and just consolidate the other sections into Pipes and Tobacco, then add a Cigar forum. Am I close?

Since I plan on being around awhile, and because it's what I do, it's reasonable to assume a lot of fix-it / shop / engineering / etc. questions will either be directed at me as the resident wrench-turner, or pull me in somehow before they're played out. (Especially since my Main Man TJ is as vigilant as a Border Collie in that regard. :lol: (thanks Teej! ;) ) )

If so, I would MUCH rather have that stuff in one place than have to read through every pipe thread looking for embedded questions. I've been spending a lot of time here the past few days cuz I'm a recovering sickie + the board is new and needed a "push" from the regulars, but that won't/can't continue. The shop, she calls.

In short, I'll be glad to throw my .02 at such questions, but don't want to have to go looking for them.

LatakiaLover":j8bq84b2 said:
puros_bran":j8bq84b2 said:
Edited out my...yeah thats a good post post...lol
I agree. Good post, PB
I've thought about it some more, and wanted to agree again---post agree---because I agreed so wholeheartedly the first time. Excellent post post, PB. :cheers:

Well now that everything is working as it should making the requested changes was a snap. How it be lookin' now?

jhuggett":gcgma213 said:
Well now that everything is working as it should making the requested changes was a snap. How it be lookin' now?
D00d! The new style sheet is a huge improvement, and the masthead is a very nice touch. And, as I mentioned elsewhere, thanks for the :darklord: emoticon. ;)

-Zero