How many lights?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be suprised.
I used to read while I smoked but the slosh of the chemicals in the tank put an end to that. Now I just play on the Blackberry. :)

This Meer pipe Santa gave me for Christmas is an exception. Its light enough to clench and cool enough to smoke on a light or two. Really dig meers for english stuff, if I didn't love Va's so much all I'd have would be meers, well meers,petes an stanwells. Gotta keep TJ riled. Lol

This thread was awsome .....thanks fellas.

Oh, and Puros, so what you're saying is that I am RIGHT, and everyone else is wrong? Got IT!!

Like Vito says, who friggin cares?

Doesn't matter how many plays it takes to get the ball into the end zone. Six points is six points.

A lot depends on pipe size and tobacco moisture. I like group 5/6 pipes and don't dry my tobacco. One light just isn't gonna happen. If it was THAT important; I'd switch to group 1's and set my tobacco on the dashboard for a week.

Is there a corelation between my many relights and the fact that I NEVER get tongue bite? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I most enjoy the pipe when it is on the verge of going out. Usually it does.

Who friggin cares?

tj

LOL yeah pretty much, basically if your enjoying it your doing it right. I'd toss is as long as you are getting flavor and not scalding your tongue,but those are really just benifits. As long as your having fun whocares.

Don't get me wrong, ask questions,try new ways, try new baccys and pipes and tampers and cleaners and whatnot,but as long as your happy that's all that matters. We over emphasize minor points and argue merits that really don't matter. My stepdad gets as much enjoyment out of his Grabows and CarterHall as I do my Castello and Renassaince. Who's right? Hell we both are. Piping is one of the few places I tolerate,no subscribe to, post modern philosphy.

puros_bran":u6e4o5ti said:
My stepdad gets as much enjoyment out of his Grabows and CarterHall as I do my Castello and Renassaince.
Exactly. The man responsible for getting me started was the father of my best high school buddy. He had hundreds of pipes; Grabows, Medicos, Yellow Bowls etc etc. He would mix a tub of PA with a tub of SWR and throw in one pouch of Mixture 79,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all he ever smoked. Offered him Balkan Sobranie several times. He was always a perfect gentleman and always smoked it. He NEVER asked for it though. Don't know ANYONE who ever enjoyed his pipe more than Brigadiere General Brossy Deluca, USAF. Flew bombers during WWII and delivered packages to Hitler. TEN HUT! Saluted no one, execpt Mrs. Deluca.

tj

I like it.

I suppose one of my issues is that I enoy sipping the pipe so much i fight to not sip too often..I definately lack some patience.

good stuff fellas...good stuff..

Vito":50lyvn4v said:
By the way, PB...the image of the mad, weed-crazed piper, hands and limbs bristling with pipe, tamper, and torch, careening down the road in the road in an 18-wheeler piloted by an elbow on the wheel...I'm thinking it's prolly more the exception than the rule
Meet Mr Exception :afro: :lol!: Now that I have a newer Peterbuilt with a computer controlled automatic transmission and jake brakes, all it takes is a single hand on the wheel and I'ma puffin on down de road :pipe:

Left hand on wheel, right hand on pipe. To relight, insert pipe in teeth, with the left hand grab tamper and level ash, grab zippo, light, puff.....Look ma, no hands :p Never coulda done that while grabbin gears. It did take me a couple o weeks before I quit reachin for that stick and before I began anticipating the jake throwing the Allison tranny into a downshift that would put my nose 6 inches from the windshield :shock: Good thing I don't smoke Canadians :affraid:

Looks like I'm the only Real trucker left here folks, well if ya ever considered them swirly canned city drivers truckers. :) roflmao. No not really my GearShift would get in the way. :) :) :) :)

About 10-11 years ago I worked for a company called Cal-Ark. I was a trainer at the time and they received 125 trucks with prototype Eaton Autoshifters. Tbar and BJ got the big idea of putting rookies in em. Can't shift,can't leave. Held true to,til Reddot and US Depress got automatic trucks. Now there 8-10 big fleets running them. Course most of the newbreed think Pilot is a cool truckstop to.

PD:

I meant it's prolly an exception rather than the rule that PB is driving with his elbow. I just don't get the impression that he's quite that nonchalant about his profession. The pros don't get to be pros if they act like dingbats. Of course, I'm making all this up. I dunno what PB really does...only his hairdresser knows for sure.

...er, I notice you specified that you have one hand on the wheel, not one elbow, or one knee, or some other appendage. All those fancy gizmonics prolly just make it easier to be your usual thoughtful, courteous, and considerate self. So you ain't foolin' anyboddih. I'm less nervous about you having one hand on the wheel than most other bozos driving with both hands. :)

Vito

puros_bran":vo96iydl said:
Looks like I'm the only Real trucker left here folks, ...

The only currently workin' one, maybe. (JD's auto tranny definitely takes him off the list. :twisted: :lol: ) Up until late last summer I was herding 100+ ft long, 151K lb trains through the mountains, year-round. Liquid sulphur, coal, and mineral-heavy filtration water, depending on need. Stretched KW W-9, 550 Cummins, 18 speed, bogie axle, all the heavy haul stuff. That be Real Truckin' and then a bit.

As long as still have my class A license and could jump back in a cab today and roll, it counts as "current enough to claim it" in my book.

Former Trucker (never ex, unless you want to be), and proud of it. 8)

Last May, an F-250 Diesel pulls into my driveway. Out jumps a cowboy in a fedora. Neighbors said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tj's got company again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,long weekend for the hood.
Ty had him vetted before lettin' him in the house.

:king: tj

Sittin behind a workbench tryin to convince himself he aint a sidewalk sissy. :) :) :) :). (Aint got any other emoticons worked out yet )

Just something that crossed my mind. An Italian 'Banker' buds with a guy in the concrete business.... How convienent. :)

He VaL serious for a second, you know after going three years inactive 99% of the companys won't be able to hire you because of the current insurance scam, unless you go to driving school. Aint that a whoopin.

puros_bran":vnnwje3k said:
Just something that crossed my mind. An Italian 'Banker' buds with a guy in the concrete business.... How convienent. :)
:lol!:

:king: tj

puros_bran":ekjp3ap5 said:
Just something that crossed my mind. An Italian 'Banker' buds with a guy in the concrete business....
Don't ask us where Hoffa is, we'll have to send uncle Guido to pay ya a little visit :no:

Driving the revolving tin can, at least in the capacity that I do, is more like heavy equipment operator than trucker. (The Operating Engineers even tried pulling a coup a few years back and wanted to hijack mixer drivers from the Teamsters on a technicality because their studies found that we spent more time off road than on. Almost won too.). There are plenty of outfits that just roll up to a little line pump and supply pool makers and patio builders, but we do a great deal of underground (infrastructure, like everything that gets built before a subdivision or mall goes in), bridge and highway work, and commercial structures like large warehouse mat pours, parking structures, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've come home from work and someone's there visiting, they take one look at me - a muddy bloody beat up mess - and gawk. "I thought you were a truck driver, howdja get so dirty?"

Those automatics actually suck in my line of work. They're fine for the 20 minutes I'm rollin a load down the highway but there's no match for controlling the truck with the greatest precision by dialing in the correct gear for the conditions. The autos are sloppy and there's a lot of play in them. Very often what is required it tailgating into a curb machine or some such thing and having to move 4 inches at a time on broken, uneven ground at bad angles. The old Eaton Fuller 13 speeds had a deep reduction and you could put the truck on this edge of a quarter or that edge, but now the autos either lurch when you release the brake or do nothing which requires you to accelerate to get it to lurch. :x So much for modern technology :suspect:

Puff Daddy":ju70s204 said:
...Those automatics actually suck in my line of work. They're fine for the 20 minutes I'm rollin a load down the highway but there's no match for controlling the truck with the greatest precision by dialing in the correct gear for the conditions. The autos are sloppy and there's a lot of play in them. Very often what is required it tailgating into a curb machine or some such thing and having to move 4 inches at a time on broken, uneven ground at bad angles. The old Eaton Fuller 13 speeds had a deep reduction and you could put the truck on this edge of a quarter or that edge, but now the autos either lurch when you release the brake or do nothing which requires you to accelerate to get it to lurch. :x So much for modern technology :suspect:
Jeez, PD...that can't possibly be right. The marketing dweebs assure us their "studies show" that the vast majority of time is spent driving between the ready-mix batching plant and the job site. They further assure us that your Allison automatic transmission should increase your productivity by one load per day, earning the company another $60,000 per year in revenue. You're getting at least, what...half of that in increased income? Surely the Allison marketing dweebs are checking with you to verify that their projected benefits are being realized...

Hello...PD? (Is this on?...testing, 1-2-3...) ...oh, I see...you're just speechless with gratitude to Allison Transmission for their incisive market research. :shock: :roll:

For a more intensive rant on this subject, see Are marketing dweebs running the show?

Vito :joker:

Sorry for the late response, I was outside playin in the dirt with my trucks :D

I gain absolutely no time due to the automatic, they left out the "Traffic" factor, as in you hit just as many red lights and back ups with an auto as you do with a stick. They do get off the line a little quicker, but if I'm empty I can take off in third or fourth with a stick and smoke the dude in the auto. Also, the stupid things are governed at 59 mph so there's no making up ground once on the highway.

The idiots....ERRR, employer I work for not only went with automatic transmissions, but also put a new automated batching system in that slows everything down in the yard (the batchman with a manual setting can batch 50% faster) and paid millions to implement a slump-o-matic (by Ronco!) that is supposed to think for me and insure that the right slump is acheived at delivery every load :face: Too bad it doesn't work either...Just makes the whole process (again) slower, and I end up having to make all the adjustments anyhow.....Stupid progress!

I used to haul 5 or 6 loads in an average 10 hour day, now it's 3, maybe 4.

Puff Daddy":ws17ih8l said:
I used to haul 5 or 6 loads in an average 10 hour day, now it's 3, maybe 4.
Yeah, but you're making 2-3 times as much for same amount of work since Spanish became the Official Language of Concrete, so kwitcherbitchin' gringo. :twisted:

To F'N Funny..from here on abreviated to TFF.

TFF. Management, by way of computerized 'progress' has managed to do what the Union has been trying to accomplish for decades. Lol.

(Actually not,I'm sure its more work fixin the 'progress' than it was doing it right the first time)

LatakiaLover":okvvkywh said:
...since Spanish became the Official Language of Concrete...
So that's how Cemex got to be the world's largest producer of ready-mix...or was it the other way around? :confused:

Vito :joker: