How many "Look Only" pipes do you own?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Don Carlos Bolero one note tankard I purchased back in '01 that will probably never be smoked. I can't really say why either but I don't want to sell it. I do have several others that I've just not gotten around to smoking yet but will at some point.

Cheers,

RR

I have a Don Carlos Bolero one note tankard I purchased back in '01 that will probably never be smoked. I can't really say why either but I don't want to sell it. I do have several others that I've just not gotten around to smoking yet but will at some point.

Cheers,

RR
I wouldn't wait on that one. I have one Don Carlos, a one note full bent, almost an oom paul, estate I scored off eBay about a month ago now. It has turned out to be a great smoker. Easily in my top 5. Can't wait to get another.

Just happened across this thread now. Love going back and reading old posts. Always interesting. Back when I had 60+ pipes only 2 had never been smoked. One, an old German style with a foot long cherry wood stem and metal wind cap. Guess you might call it an austrian mountain pipe. Bought in austria back in the 70's. Would have been too awkward to smoke so just kept it on display with some German beer mugs. The other was a deer head meer gifted to me by a fellow from phx that I met on alt.pipes. just way to beautiful to smoke.
I got one of those mountain pipes too, bought mine in Mittenwald Bavaria near border to Innsbruck. Guess they are a traditional Tyrolean or Bavarian style. Smoked mine a couple of times but just too awkward. I should probably move my Bavarian pipe to the stein display where it will get more visibility (that's a good idea you have). The Old Man Dunhill (pictured above) is also too awkward to really enjoy, so I've smoked it only a few times.

Hmmm. I may be an exception around here! :D

I collect vintage, Made in Canada, Brigham pipes and the collection has evolved to be just that. It's more of a physical representation of the company's history for me, though I have, of course, smoked a few of them. I have upwards of 50 in the racks at the moment, and many more than that cataloged in the Shape Chart.

I DO of course also have about 15 pipes I smoke, some more than others. These range from my first briar (a Brigham 218) through a few Stanwells, several Petes, a Dunnie Tanshell and a Harcourt freehand.
Nice to hear about a fellow Brigham collector. I grew up in Canada and when I started pipe smoking seriously I concentrated on Brighams, the Canadian Dunhills. A friend owned a tobacco shop and I got a few nice pipes from him over the years. After moving to the USA back in the '90's, I continued to collect them mostly via Ebay. Not sure how many I have but they range from a couple of unfinished models to two enormous Brigham Eggs. One of my favorites is a beautiful straight grained, smallish straight Dublin which is a 7-dot.

I have one Ferndown square shank panel billiard that has not yet been smoked. I concentrated on rounding out my Ferndown collection when Les started winding down his production, even though I have not been pipe smoking on a regular basis the past few years. A number have only been smoked once or twice but the plan is to get back to it once I have fully retired.

I have two pipes that I haven't smoked yet (don't really know why). A Paul Perri freehand that I bought along time ago at the Los Angeles pipe show and a Jirsa nine star poker that I purchased when they had a pipe show in Phoenix. I knew the guy that brought/imported them into the States.

I have several new unsmoked pipes and I have no idea why I bought them, except, perhaps, the price was right. I do not treat my pipes as art. For me, they are tools and for the last couple of years, I've been smoking mostly Mark Twain and Dagner cobs with replacement acrylic stems covered with Softy pipe bits.

I have one Ferndown square shank panel billiard that has not yet been smoked. I concentrated on rounding out my Ferndown collection when Les started winding down his production, even though I have not been pipe smoking on a regular basis the past few years. A number have only been smoked once or twice but the plan is to get back to it once I have fully retired.
If its anything like the Ferdown square shanked panel billiard that I have I think you will find that its very good smoking pipe. I'm not sure why my post has two images. Not sure what I did wrong.
20201221_184451.jpg
20201221_184451.jpg

A basket pipe my Dad gave me (he's cheap) and a cheap plain MM Cob. Nothing wrong with the plain cob, just don't use it much.
I remember visiting my Dad in Florida back in the late 70s. Took me to an Edwards pipe/tobacco store and bought me an Edwards pipe. Kind of a 1/4 bent dublin. Think it was around 15 bucks. Worst pipe I ever owned. Smoked hot as blazes no matter what tobacco or how slow I puffed. After maybe a dozen tries gave up and tossed it in a box where it lay until I sold all my pipes in 2014.

I remember visiting my Dad in Florida back in the late 70s. Took me to an Edwards pipe/tobacco store and bought me an Edwards pipe. Kind of a 1/4 bent dublin. Think it was around 15 bucks. Worst pipe I ever owned. Smoked hot as blazes no matter what tobacco or how slow I puffed. After maybe a dozen tries gave up and tossed it in a box where it lay until I sold all my pipes in 2014.
Same here. Not a bad looking straight-stem pipe. Not quite an Apple, more of a mutt.

Only pipe I've ever had that made Captain Black burn hot. lol

If its anything like the Ferdown square shanked panel billiard that I have I think you will find that its very good smoking pipe. I'm not sure why my post has two images. Not sure what I did wrong. View attachment 369View attachment 369
Thats a beauty. All my Ferdowns are blast finish, mostly Michael Parks rustication. My paneled billiard is a straight brindle shank, I don't have many saddle bit pipes for whatever reason.

I can cross that one off my list. I enjoyed a couple of bowls of 2006 Christmas Cheer in it over the holidays. Of course, new pipe was not as satisfying as it could be but both pipe and tobacco were superb.

Dearly departed pipe smoking friend passed away last year. His executor gifted me with a bunch of his pipes. Most were well used, but a half dozen or so were new-in-box. Why he never lit 'em up, I'll never know; they were, while not 'collectable' items very fine (think: Stanwell, Savinelli) pipes.

Dearly departed pipe smoking friend passed away last year. His executor gifted me with a bunch of his pipes. Most were well used, but a half dozen or so were new-in-box. Why he never lit 'em up, I'll never know; they were, while not 'collectable' items very fine (think: Stanwell, Savinelli) pipes.
I would have mixed feelings about such a gift, on the one hand he would be honored that a good friend is now enjoying them, on the other hand if it put me in a sad and pensive mood every time, I don't know. Maybe its just the grey day here making me think this way. Don't mind me.