How many new roofs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
We are getting a new roof as I sit here typing.
There is a lot of banging, hammering and nailing in the background.
This is our second house and second roof and both houses had two layers of shingles.
If we are lucky this maybe our last new roof.
How many new roofs have you needed?

We roofed this house in 1999 and again a year later when the insurance company pronounced hail damage. That was after finding shattered bricks all over the roof from a lightning strike.

So, we quickly went to two layers of asphalt shingles. Then, just short of two years ago, due to a change in agent of record with the insurance company. They re-assess the policy and values. Took pictures. We knew we were going to need to put a new roof on within a couple years. The insurance company said do it by the renewal date or they would drop us. There was a little curl to the shingles. I've seen much, much worst.

So I started getting the contractors coming by and giving their pitches. Usual number of depressing conversations. Some outright crooks. Weeded them down to two I thought I could trust. We put a steel roof on with a 40 year warranty. The contractor went the extra mile for us and worked to make sure the old roof was as sound and flat as possible before putting on the steel.

Same contractor, local fellow, also removed the old vinyl siding and put on new vinyl siding. Handled all the necessary changes in the way things are down now compared to 40+ years ago. Wrapped the house in a wrap designed for the purpose before siding. Arranged some outdoor electrical work at the same time. Security lights and outlets.

We are pleased. Had new gutters done same time. Not a very steep roof. But I would recommend getting something to stop snow from sliding, At least over the doors and walkways. A steel roof mounts to a wood framework mounted to your existing roof. The noise in a hard rain is less than before.

We contracted with a local company that gets good reviews and presented a good proposal.
We have 6 workers and two are woman.
As you might expect, English is not their native language.
They arrived around 6 in the morning and plan to stay until the job is completed, which might be around 8 this evening.
They want to finish today because they have another job in the morning.
This experience makes us thankful for a lot of things besides the roof.

Arg! don't talk to me about replacing roofs. Our last house needed a new roof and I hired a company out of Oklahoma. The forman had 4 non-speaking helpers to do the work. I came home from lunch break the first day they were on the job and I found one guy looking in our windows! Another guy was sitting next to the air compressors because he could not figure out how to get them started. He plugged both into the same outlets and blew the circuit breaker! I couldn't find the other two until I walked to the back yard. Under the pine trees the other two were taking a ciesta! At the same time, the boss man came in and when those two saw him, they jumped up and ran to their truck. He yelled at them and they left! Then he yelled at the other one and told him to leave also. Two days later, the boss came with another crew! They spoke some English and did an ok job. They were done in four days, cleaned up the mess, and left. Several days later it rained and I had more leaks in a roof that never leaked before. I called the company and found their phone was disconnected! I called my insurance company and they sent another guy to check out my roof. He fixed the leaks, and I had to pay! I never did find out what happened to the other guy and his company.

The other time we had to have part of a roof replaced was on our first house. A tornado came through and ripped off the shingles on the west and south sides. That was a mess. The insurance company came through and had the shingles replaced within several days. Meanwhile, I was pulling shards of broken glass and other stuff out of the siding and fixing the fence. Good thing it wasn't a direct hit or else we wouldn't have had a house left.

2011, 12, and 13 we had huge hail storms blow thru OKC! Mega-bucks in damages. Bottom line...three new roofs in three years :evil: I had a great roofing company plus my insurance company took good care of me. Of course, they also raised my rates a bit!!! Could have been worse. :cheers: FTRPLT

I've been through four roofs on four different homes. First place the roof was old, inspector said it wouldn't last three years. Got 12 out of it before I replaced it. Tore off three layers of comp and the original cedar shake to skip sheeting. Put 5/8" plywood on and 30 year architectural on. Never had a roof problem after that.
Second place had a new 20 year three tab. Christmas tree lights burnt it to the ground Christmas morning. I moved.
Third place had a rake shake shingle roof with hot mop poured onto it that was blistered, but didn't leak for several years. Eventually it did. I did the same thing I did to the first home. I can't stand overlays, they're like buying retreads for your car. (Junk that costs you more money down the road offering a false sense of security.) Sold that place before I had to deal with it again.
Currently have a metal roof. Occasional maintenance on the fastener seals, as it gets mighty hot here and cooks the gaskets. No worries yet, knock on wood!

New roof about every 7-10 years. Sold the house and of course there is hail damage and I have to get it fixed pronto.

Bought a home in 89, put a roof on that house in the mid 90's (that home had 12 locust trees surrounding the house, for decades).

Built a new home in 1999, still on that roof. I lose a few shingles every winter. My neighbor is a contractor, he said it has five years left and I'll need him for a few torn shingles every winter. We have to time it to putting the new roof on before we decide to sell/downsize.

Our 20 year AC unit lost the fan motor two weeks ago, first time its needed any care at all. Furnace had a few components replaced last winter, but hopefully it hangs in.
Don't get me started inside, ....flooring and kitchen need updated.

Looks like the new roof will be on by the end of the month, along with siding. So I got that going for me.

And garage sales, a big 2 1/2 day this past weekend and still have to give furniture away or donate it. If I never see another garage sale that will be fine with me.