How many things are you reading at a time?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
According to my wife, I'm crazy. Apparently, she's of the belief that it's best to only be reading one book at a time (not counting magazines, etc).

For me, I've always been in the middle of three books at a time. One fiction, one non-fiction, and one audiobook in the car. In my world, this makes sense...all through college and grad school I always had a "for fun" fiction book to read, and was always buried in books related to coursework. The audiobook I added as something to do in the car other than listen to the same music or talk radio everyday.

What about the rest of you? Are you one-book-at-a-timers, or do have multiple things going on at once?

Your a true Multi-Tasker sir! ;) I can't even keep the directions on my meds straight half the time much less read several books at the same time.

One at a time with fiction. Multiples otherwise, and concurrent with fiction. I don't experience any conflict.

Ive probably got five going at any given time. A couple of fiction paperbacks and a few work related books. Most of the fiction stuff you can put down for up to a month and still retain what was going on.

Now with the kindle and the various kindle apps, I usually only read a single book, but I used to always have two or three. One in my briefcase for the train, one next to the bed, and one next to the couch (in case I was too lazy to go upstairs and get the one next to the bed).

Now I keep my actual kindle in my brief case, but I can read on my phone or any of my three tablets. So it is more rare that I have more than one book going at a time anymore.

Dave_In_Philly":zhdmcvci said:
Now with the kindle and the various kindle apps, I usually only read a single book, but I used to always have two or three. One in my briefcase for the train, one next to the bed, and one next to the couch (in case I was too lazy to go upstairs and get the one next to the bed).

Now I keep my actual kindle in my brief case, but I can read on my phone or any of my three tablets. So it is more rare that I have more than one book going at a time anymore.
Ditto, rarely anymore unless I'm researching something.

Revive this thing.

I'm currently in about 6 books.

I used to be a book at a time guy but my medicines destroy my ability to combat my ADD. I pick something up, read a chapter, move to the next, come back to the first, etc

I don't read as much as I used to and that needs to be corrected ASAP.

puros_bran":rhzltaud said:
Revive this thing.  

I'm currently in about 6 books.  

I used to be a book at a time guy but my medicines destroy my ability to combat my ADD. I pick something up, read a chapter, move to the next, come back to the first, etc    

I don't read as much as I used to and that needs to be corrected ASAP.  

Six?  I mean, I know it's driven by an unfortunate...uh...what is ADD?  I mean, I know what it IS, but what do we call it these days?  Condition?  Illness? Disorder? The point is six is impressive regardless the cause.

I also need to find more time to read.  Actually, I have plenty of time, I just choose to fill it with other things...and in the middle of doing said other things I usually think, "I'd really rather just read something," but carry on with wasting my time, anyway.

Changes really, I read the Bible daily I tend to have a book in the bog to read, and I may have a book or two on the go, I also tend to get bored easily if the subject matter doesn't engage me properly, I always finish a book but if a book bores me enough I might have read a dozen or so others before I get to finishing it.

Typically just the one unless I'm conducting research, then there might be several papers and books all on the go at once.

Currently reading Scouting for Boys by BP.

Idbowman. I call it a drug induced side effect but ehh whatever someone is comfortable calling it. It's unusual for me, I'm usually a pick it up and don't look elsewhere until finished.. But these medicines make it impossible to ward off the ADD and stay focused.

Right now.
Theologians of the Baptist Tradition. George & Dockery
Romans. Barnhouse
Onward Russell Moore.
Doctrines that divide. (Forget the author and it's not right beside me)
Lutheran Smaller Catchism w/h Explanation.
The Christian Faith. Horton.

Plus the reference works, magazines (I have a stack) and of course the bible usually ESV bit also KJV, NLT, NIV.

I'm also hand copying the 1689 London Baptist Confession if that counts. I mean I have to read it to write it but I don't know how that fits in.