how many tins opened at one time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw306

Reaction score
Just started with pipes a couple of months ago, and wondering how many tins one should have opened at any given time? I have my bulk stored in jars but got to thinking I may be opening to many tins when I get a new TAD. Right now I have 5 opened and was wondering if I should finish a couple before I opened one I haven't tried yet.

I keep lots of tins open, though I empty the contents into mason jars when I open them. I have about 24 open "tins" at most time. But I have an above average love of variety, I think. I am trying to get better about going deeper into a blend rather than wider across blends. I'm not sure why I feel this has more merit, but I think it has something to do with the idea that I'll appreciate a blend more. YMMV.

There is no right answer, in my opinion. If you like to have lots open, have lots open - just make sure they are stored well (this generally means mason jars). If you'd rather keep your options in check, 5-6 seems a good number.

-Andrew

Just counted. I have 37 open blends. Of these, maybe less than 10 see regular smoking. I just like the variety.

Way too many than I can finish before they dry out - so I have moved most to Mason Jars. If any become tinder before I can move them I use the moist towel over a plate or tupperware filled with the said tinder - after a few hours the tobacco is as good as new - just about...

I have maybe 8 tins open now. I'm also digging from three mason jars. I have been thinking about reducing that quite a bit to maybe 1-2 tins. Just to focus on a few flavors at a time. Then I can pop open a new tin or two of different blends and enjoy those.

As of 8/10/10, 12:21 CST: 6 tins, 2 jars, and 1 pouch:

TINS
G.L. Pease Cairo
G.L. Pease Cumberland
G.L. Pease Fillmore
McClelland Club Selection Samovar
McClelland Jubilee
McClelland Tudor Castle

JARS
Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian
Rattray's Marlin Flake

POUCH
Pinkerton Tobacco Co. Five Brothers

This list is liable to change without notice.

I think it depends on the tins. The circular ones that twist shut tight seem to keep better. (Presbyterian would keep forever in the tin.) The others I will keep around maybe a couple of weeks before transfering them to the masons. Some are really better to me if they dry out some. I probably have 5 or 6 open at one time. Variety is the spice of life, I couldn't stick to one or two blends for more than a couple days.

Thanks guys! Don't feel like I am getting carried away now. Just need to invest in some more mason jars. Falconer glad you mentioned Presbytarian as I just purchased a tin and was waiting to open. No more waiting!

Currently opened tins, transferred to jars. Some get smoked nearly everyday, others not so much:

Red Rapparee

Sunday Picnic

Reiner LFG

Solani Silver Flake

Exh Rooster

McC's Oriental #1

McC's Oriental #6

Escudo

Chelsea Morning

Embarcadero

Revelation

Orlik GS

Solani Aged Burley Flake

Petersons Irish Flake

Also a few jars of bulk stuff such as:

Uhle's #300

Uhle's CWB

Boswell's Dan's Blend

Also various samples from other smokers and box pass stored in jars...too many to remember off the top of my head.

Also a bunch of random crap (aros and such) that I most likely will never smoke again.

When I buy tins of any given blend I try to get one for now, one for storage. The "now" tin I transfer to a jar immediately after opening and smoking the first bowl, then come back to that jar whenever I desire. Naturally the storage tins go in storage and stay unopened.

I seem to be like many of the other posters on this thread in that I like great variety I currently have 20 open tins right now but most have been moved to mason jars so that they will not dry out. I have tried to only keep one or two tins open at a time but I get bored too easily. :D

Technically I only have one tin open at the moment (FVF). As do others, I have numerous jars that I can dip into at any given time: Balkan Sobranie, Balkan Sasieni, Lancers Slices, Sq. Ldr., Sterling Balkan, Peretti's Oriental #40, Troost Slices, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Altadis Heavy English, and Consolidated (?) BS-005, to name a few. Now if the dern temps would just cool off so I could stand to be outside and enjoy a bowl!!!!! FTRPLT

I usually have one or two that I'm working on at a time.

Generally, I try to finish a whole tin before I open another of similar kind. It helps me to get a better understanding of what the heck I am really smoking and it makes it easier for me to decide what to smoke. Sometimes I need to smoke the same thing in a pipe for a while to get a better understanding of what it is (or isn't).

Interesting thread MW, Muddler and I were discussing it just the other day.
I have 12 open and find it difficult to cope........

:lol!:

Mudd has a lot more open. he told me of some dudes who have over a hundred different ones open at any given time!!!

Piet Binsbergen":ybthfpgy said:

Add that to the learning curve of a guy who's just getting started and you have a big mess to sort out . . . . :shock:

Over the past few years, I began to explore the vast and diverse tobacco blends once I discovered that there was more to pipe tobaccos than the cherry, vanilla, and coffee flavored blends that were offered from the local smoke shop. I began to accumulate several tins - more than I could smoke in a lifetime. Anyway, as far as tobaccos sold in tins and cans, I found that sealing the container with parafilm keeps the contents moist (and minimizes oxidation) even after several years. I even heard of people using electrical tape to seal their containers. I have a tin of Margate that I purchased and opened in the late 1990's. After keeping it sealed for a decade, it still smokes with great pleasure.

tin man":ut7esn7p said:
Piet Binsbergen":ut7esn7p said:

Add that to the learning curve of a guy who's just getting started and you have a big mess to sort out . . . . :shock:

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

tin man":s48lruhf said:
Piet Binsbergen":s48lruhf said:

It is a mess to sort out to many choices to choose from.