"How Many/What Tins Do You Have Open?" (Part ???)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I know, I know... there's countless threads...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t13376-how-many-open-tins-at-once?

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t14407-beginner-question-how-many-tins?

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10615-how-many-tins-or-different-tobacco-s-do-you-have-working?

...but where to pick up again? I always am curious at the tides of "tin opening" between the new guys, the intermediate fellas and the old dogs. Moreover, not so much the count, but what you have open.

I'll go:

Erinmore Flake (Orlik)
C&D Star of the East
Robert McConnell Scottish Flake
Captain Earle's Ten Russians
Murray's Warrior Plug
Peterson Perfect Plug
Mac B Plumcake
Mac B VA No. 1
SG Squadron Leader
McC's Three Oaks (Syrian)
Dunhill Nightcap

Now for me, this is WAY TOO MANY TINS open. I smoke smaller pipes and only smoke once or twice a day. Three-quarters of them were tins that other pipesters gave me already open, since they either didn't like them or I wanted to try a few bowlfuls. It's going to take me a while to get through these, but with a lineup like that, there's no "...oh geez, not that stuff again... *sigh*" going on...

...I miss me some Embarcadero, though, so I think once the Erinmore is finished (it's going fast)...

8)

A little while back I purchased a smaller, plastic Rubbermaid container with the intent of having a separate place for my opened tins and jars. It fits perfectly on the bottom shelf of my bookcase.

Right now, opened and being enjoyed:

FVF from 2008
McC's Va #24
Ashton Black Parrot from 1999
H&H Virginia Memory #10
Dunhill EMP
Germain Special Latakia Flake
Peter Heinrich Curly
Old Gowrie
Embarcadero

:)

Oh, what a decision I will have when I have to choose between EMP and 'Barc. I have too much "heavy stuff" in rotation right now. Way too much. Might have to give some of it to a few newer guys here in Reno soon. *sigh* Or I'll just come over and hang out, Shane...that way I can have my 'bacca and smoke it, too... :p

Sounds good to me!

This is the time of year when I most enjoy opening some 10-year-old whatever and sitting outside all night smoking bowl after bowl!

It's difficult to make my way through all the tins I opened this summer without any help! :)

Kind of off-topic but lately, even though I have all those lovely tins open, I find myself reaching for the Old Gowrie over, and over again...

I'm going through a phase of believing that I could only smoke one tobacco forever...

I need to come to my senses and snap out of this madness! :p

Having got into GH flakes in bulk I have whittled the open tins down to only 7

Erinmore Balkan Mixture
Erinmore Flake
JJ Fox Campanile
Orlik Golden Sliced
SG Grousemoor
SG Perfection
St Bruno

and open jars of

Condor
GH Ennerdale
GH Grasmere

I'm pretty GLP heavy right now.

Piccadilly
Blackpoint
Embarcadero
Haddo's
Fillmore
Frog Morton
Orlik Golden Sliced

This doesn't count the dozen or so sample baggies from various brothers Then there are the jars of 1Q, BCA-Q, and Carter Hall that I dip into on occasion, but those are pretty much mainstays. When Embarcadero, Frog Morton, or OGS run out, I'll open a new tin of the same. As to the others, I probably won't open a new tin until I smoke through at least two of 'em, and I'm not really sure what I'll break out when that happens. Probably a flake of some sort, just not sure which (Pete Uni? Dunhill Flake?)

Chris: How is that Erinmore Balkan? All I can find over here is the Erinmore flake.

Shane: I hear ya, brother. Something about my wacky life lately has me spun into a world where looking forward to something "different" is admittedly superficial, but has been a great distraction. I'm getting to the point where I know what I like, and now I'm just putting them all to the test, and it's still fun. We'll probably be the kind of guys that in a decade or more, we'll wax and wane between "let's try new stuff!" to "...blissfully satisfied with a handful."

8)

As far as tins are concerned, these are what I currently have loitering around my den:
SG Skiff Mixture (the mainstay)
H&H Cerberus
Dunhill London Mixture
C&D Bayou Morning Flake
C&D Evening Rise
Now jars?...jeeze... ;)

idbowman":z5bn0moy said:
I'm pretty GLP heavy right now.

Piccadilly
Blackpoint
Embarcadero
Haddo's
Fillmore
Frog Morton
Orlik Golden Sliced

This doesn't count the dozen or so sample baggies from various brothers Then there are the jars of 1Q, BCA-Q, and Carter Hall that I dip into on occasion, but those are pretty much mainstays. When Embarcadero, Frog Morton, or OGS run out, I'll open a new tin of the same. As to the others, I probably won't open a new tin until I smoke through at least two of 'em, and I'm not really sure what I'll break out when that happens. Probably a flake of some sort, just not sure which (Pete Uni? Dunhill Flake?)
The sample bags don't really count, if you ask me. I have, holy crap, probably 50 baggies hanging about. Usually those bags turn into TAD tins, and then...here we are. :lol: Great spread of GLP stuff...Greg's blends/mixtures are sadly lacking from my lineup right now. *another sigh*

I say Dunhill Flake...that's one I've wanted to dive into, fortunately, I don't have any. :lol: Temptation.

8)

Crap. Jars. Yeah. Well, there's some jars hanging around, mostly stuffed with Billy Budd and Squadron Leader. I didn't even think about that. :pale:

Well, if I count tins and not bulk:

Villiger 1888 Mid Day
Cup O Joes #5
GL Pease Union Square
Cornell and Diehl Sunday Picnic
Sutliff Barbados Plantation
McClelland 221b Arcadia

Looks like I'm doing pretty good compared to some.

I try to keep the number of open tins to a minimum. Currently:

Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
C&D Billy Bud
C&D Opening Night
Edgeworth Ready Rubbed

I have a load of bulk tobacco and various samples in small Masons and various bail top jars, but interestingly only a handful of open tins including -

Haddo's Delight
Blackwoods Flake
Maltese Falcon
Erinmore Flake
FMOTT
Long Golden Flake

That's it.

Tins are easy, just two... Billy Budd and Escudo. Jars and samples are another matter, I'd say 15 or so jars including a couple jars with various samples in each.

I keep one of my bail lid French Parfait Jars full with about 8ozs of Royal Blend, another smaller one with 6 ozs of McC's FM#2000, 1ea 100g tin of McC;s Virginia Woods, Blackwoods Flake and Oriental # 14. I also am currently smoking some ARo's, Dan Tobacco's Milonga, Stanwell's Melange and C&D's Brigadier. And I've got another small "parfait jar with 2 tins worth of Erinmore Flake as well as a tin of Royal Yacht and Dunhill Flake ! It's usually the first 5 that I always smoke but have added the Erinmore and Dunhill Flake to my usual rotation now. This is MORE tobacco variation than I used to smoke in the years past! I do have s few unopened tins of my McC 'bacs "cellared" and un-opened but they don't count :p

Man, I have TOO MANY open...

Erinmore Flake
Erinmore Mixture (I like to compare/contrast)
Sextant
Union Square
Hamborger Veermeister
Penzance
Frog Morton
Halfling's Leaf
Hobbit's Weed
Luxury Navy Flake
Old Dark Fired

Rattray's #7 Medium
Frog Morton On The Town
Frog Morton Cellar
Dunhill Royal Yacht
Solani White and Black
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
Mac Baren Navy Flake
Peter Stokkebye Danske Black
Peter Stokkebye Golden Danske
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Penzance
Dunhill Navy Rolls
McClelland Christmas Cheer
McClelland Blue Mountain
John Aylesbury English Mixture

My opens tins include:

Christmas Cheer 2011
Frog Mortons Cellar
Odyssey
Nightcap
My Mixture 965
Peterson Summertime Blend 2012

Andy

How many?

More than I would like to have open at one time...

Here's my list, in no particular order:

Erinmore Flake
2011 Holiday Spirit
FVF
Bob's Chocolate Flake
Haddo's Delight
EMP
Dan Tobacco - Devil's Holiday
C&D #426 Jamaican Rum
Vanilla Cream Flake