How Much Is Too Much?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread came at a most opportune time. I have been slowly moving things from Arizona to my Sons house in Indiana which includes my tobacco cellar and pipes. Looking at my tobacco celler I would guess I have at least thirty pounds of jarred tobacco (mostly English or Virginia blends) and several hundred tins. Most of which is still in Arizona. My thirty foot travel trailer can only hold so much. I'm 65 and am sure I won't be able to smoke it all before its my time. What's sad is I still occasionally buy new tins or bulk of new blends that have come out that I would like to try. What really shocked me and got me thinking was going through my pipes that I've accumulated these past thirty plus years. So far I've inventoried 110 pipes of which probably only three or four haven't been smoked. In a sense I guess I should be considered a hoarder. Do I have any regrets, not really as I've enjoyed this hobby through the years both with friends and the relaxation its given me.
You know, you bring up a very good point; one which I had not considered enough. I've been enjoying my pipes and tobaccos for, Lord, 50+ years. Instead of bemoaning my coming tobacco cessation, I should rejoice in the wonderful years when my briars were my friends. Still, hard to let go.

That is a quandary. Will you be able to drive or ride to a smoking area? If you are giving up the pipes, is there a local pipe club that would accept donations? Any smoking buddies? From what I've been able to gather, tobacco that is not in tins has limited value on the market. Unless you can make a deal with someone looking for a ready made cellar who will buy it all. I'm paying attention to these things as I have more than a few pounds of jarred tobacco.
Good luck!
Suspect I'll hang on to some of my pipes and some tobacco, in case I visit my daughter, where I can smoke on her patio. Still, probably the safest bet is to just back off and recall better times.

WT, I might suggest you follow the Seal motto. Never give up, never give in. No reason to stop doing something you enjoy. No matter where you move there has to be a place where you can still enjoy a bowl now and then. A park, hiking trail, under a bridge, lol.

After my wife died in 2008, I began looking at condos and town houses. Virtually all that I saw that were appealing were non-smoking. In the neighborhood where I aggressively looked for a new residence, there's one cigar shop. It's exclusively for cigars. Pre-Covid restrictions, I ventured in and spoke with a few guys in the lounge area. All lived in the town home complex adjacent to a nearby golf course and close to this shop. Their town home complex and the golf course are non-smoking.
I'm still in the house that I built in 1983, but the lawn maintenance, snow shoveling, and general upkeep will soon be more than I can handle.
I genuinely dislike the thought of not being able to relax with a smoke whenever I get the urge, but I foresee the time approaching. Not long ago, I dated a very nice woman and thought we'd become a permanent dating couple. The relationship seemed to have legs until she asked if I'd permanently give up my pipes and cigars. I said that I would limit smoking to one cigar or bowl of tobacco each day. Her response was a short, "We're done."
LOL. Just kidding but understand. Several years ago before I met my wife I dated a very nice lady a couple of times. Thought it was going well till she found out I voted Republican. Same response, we are through. Oh well. Worked out fine as a few months later met my wife. A wonderful 7 years now.