How much smoke when you puff?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
How much and how thick is the smoke when you puff? When lighting up, I can get a nice thick cloud to billow out from my mouth, but that drops off a lot afterwards. I've learned to slow down my puffing pace, but then subsequent puffs produce thin wispy smoke. I have to puff several times rapidly to produce a decent cloud and get a full taste of the tobacco. I am curious as to how you experienced smokers do it. Is what I am experiencing normal? Perhaps I am not packing the bowl correctly?

Thanks.

- Jason

I generall have just wisps of smoke when I puff because I use the breath smoking technique (described on Greg Pease's web site) and smoke as slowly as possible. This avoids overheating of the pipe and gives me more true tobacco flavor.

Smokey

I don't get but a few wisps of smoke when i smoke my pipe. After the thick smoke from the light, it tapers to a thinner smoke, which I enjoy. I like to sip at the pipe and if i wanted super thick smoke each time i'd go for a cigar.

I see. Glad to know I'm not far off the mark in doing this. I did read the article on breath smoking and it seems interesting. I'll give it a try with my next bowl. Thanks.

For me it also depends on the blend. It seems when I smoke English blends they tend to produce a lot more smoke then a Virginia blend. I would also agree with you guys in the fact that the smoke does taper off some after the initial light.