how much water do you like to buy?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonecoyote":x847mq23 said:
Stick":x847mq23 said:
I'm a moist type of chap.

The general measure for me is that the 'baccy should just about start to clump if a pinch is squeezed hard, but then should start to break up if dropped. Hardly scientific but it's a good rule of thumb that works for me. I find my smokes more flavoursome this way.
Excellent " rule of thumb "! Basically you'll know it's at the point where the tobacco should be at it's peak of flavor.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
:)

I find it takes a bit more tending when it's like this and the burn is less reliable, but I find it most rewarding and more engaging too. I like this as when I smoke it's my sole activity so I'm completely focussed on the experience, rather than smoking whilst completing another activity. Most bowls last a good hour or so in an average sized bowl too. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it blows my skirt up.

I like my tobacco on the drier side of what most blenders ship. McClelland, GK&Co, Sammy G ship their blends with way too much moisture for my likes and unfortunately most of the blends I prefer are made by them. This means long periods of drying and/or using a filter in my pipe. Wet tobacco equals tongue bite for me and with the combination of drying and filter use eliminates this painful problem. :)

AJ

I am buying a lot of water because my favorite blending houses are McClelland, Germain and Sam Gawith. :p

I agree with the notion that it's much easier to dry tobacco to your liking than it is to rehydrate it. I have had some decent results doing so, but I have found that the various methods work best when I am only dealing with, depending on the cut, around 1 ounce at a time. One thing is for certain, unlike drying a small amount of tobacco down, rehydrating takes time and cannot be rushed. So, as long as the tobacco's to my liking, I'll take the water.

Simple Man":qi7it0xq said:
I smoke a lot of Semois... so I guess not so much water. :lol:
True! :p

There are a number of very good blends that are less hydrated, Manil's Le Petit Robin is fantastic and it burns like dry brush in a hot wind. A number of the D&R's are winners and like Ted mentioned, the John Patton's are excellent too.

DrumsAndBeer":mf2bu5vf said:
Simple Man":mf2bu5vf said:
I smoke a lot of Semois... so I guess not so much water. :lol:
True!  :p

There are a number of very good blends that are less hydrated, Manil's Le Petit Robin is fantastic and it burns like dry brush in a hot wind. A number of the D&R's are winners and like Ted mentioned, the John Patton's are excellent too.
Also, a favorite! Love Storm Front and Dark & Stormy!