How often do you self censor?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

After about 20 years of arguing with strangers online I often find myself deleting posts before pressing the send button. I probably write and delete more than I send.

Is this normal or am I into cranky old bastard territory?

If you don't have an opinion about most things, then you aren't human. One of the problems with holding discussions is people will say the stupidest things because they know they can't be corrected with a bloody nose. I generally don't bother arguing when it is obvious that the other person is either trolling or secure and happy in their ignorance.

True enough bosun. Lately tho I have been self censoring stuff I would never have imagined (pre internet) would have upset people.

It's not just about friction either. I have a visceral reaction to the whole tweeting, selfie, I am the center of the Universe collective monologue that seems to be happening today.

I haven't actually thought this thru, but if I were to ask myself 'does this add to the sum of human happiness' I think I might be coming up short myself.

bosun1":ki6h5yqv said:
If you don't have an opinion about most things, then you aren't human.  One of the problems with holding discussions is people will say the stupidest things because they know they can't be corrected with a bloody nose.  I generally don't bother arguing when it is obvious that the other person is either trolling or secure and happy in their ignorance.

JCB said:  "I haven't actually thought this thru, but if I were to ask myself 'does this add to the sum of human happiness' I think I might be coming up short myself."

THIS^^^^^^.

It is easy to criticize, tougher to keep your mouth shut.  Like now ferinstance.

I hardly ever censor myself but, I have once or 3 times this year.  ;)

Old and Cranky? Nah! Human?..........Yeah maybe.

Self censored, yes.

Then again I have a 6 and 9 year old daughter at home. I save all my argumentative/negotiation energy for dealing with them.

Good topic! I don't post a lot here, but online or face to face, I find I have to self sensor more lately. Online, more so because I don't see the value in attempting to win an electronic pissing match with someone who might be an expert or mental patient.

In real life, lately I'm astonished at how intolerant, some people who claim to be tolerant, are of contrarian opinions. Lately, I've gotten the impression that no ones to talk or even debate a subject, they simply want to hear themselves talk, then wait for the next opportunity to hear themselves some more.

This all puts me at a disadvantage socially (or in office politics) because I was encouraged to debate as a kid. A healthy conversation of opposing views can clear the air and my parents would hear out a reasonable argument. My reaction to hearing an opposing opinion is to hear them out, explore the logic, and offer my own.

If I'm being totally honest, on more than one occasion I canned a multi-paragraph responses to our beloved Yak, as my cursor hovered over the "Send" button.

On a lot of other non pipe related forums I have not only self censored what I write but have flat out stopped reading posts from certain people. I've only been here on BoB for a few months now, but have not felt the need to do either. I assume its a different demographic, or maybe pipes just help calm everyone down.
Mike.

Some folks seem to live for arguing on the 'net. Thankfully there doesn't seem to me much in the way of trolls on this board, as I have no use for that kind of behaviour and won't waste time getting into a pissing match with anyone here or aywhere. It's not why I come here anyway.

So to answer the OP's question, I don't self-censor. I just move on.

Cheers,

RR

Dutch":ayd7bml5 said:
I was really getting into this thread and enjoying the opinions, I was planning a well thought out reply when you dropped this bomb. I'm comfortable enough in not self censoring myself to admit I laughed way too hard at that.

the macdonald":vamf27h2 said:
This all puts me at a disadvantage socially (or in office politics) because I was encouraged to debate as a kid.  A healthy conversation of opposing views can clear the air and my parents would hear out a reasonable argument.  My reaction to hearing an opposing opinion is to hear them out, explore the logic, and offer my own.          
I too came from a family where arguing (in its proper sense) was normal. My undergrad degree was in philosophy, so in some senses that is also my professional training. My core understanding was that people don't win or lose arguments, ideas do.

I am conflicted on this score. A part of me thinks bad things happen when good men say and do nothing. I was, for example, disappointed by the 'retard' reference above, and feel that needs to be challenged. But then, if one does that, people get upset.

But I don't want to be trying to unfuck the world single handed either.

I think that self censoring, to a degree, is ok. It's normal and healthy and helps us avoid unnecessary altercations every day.

If you're self censoring to the point where you're no longer representing yourself but someone that you think others want you to be then you've stepped into bad self censoring territory, IMO.

Brewdude":cjx64s72 said:
So to answer the OP's question, I don't self-censor. I just move on.

Cheers,

RR
Not that it matters much, but that's what I was thinking of when I said that I do self censor. Just moving on. Life is too short to be wordsmithing a response on an internet forum. If I ever feel that need, I save myself the time and move on.
Mike.

Richard Burley":h5hdrpvw said:
Why self-censor when there are so many nowadays willing and able to do it for you?
I appreciate this was humour, but so there is no confusion on this score, the answer is that not rocking the boat has obvious benefits. It is probably the life strategy of the majority of humanity, and, somewhat ironically, the reason people DO find their speech restricted by others.

Thanks for your input brothers. I guess I'm at the 'choose your battles' stage.