HOW PROMPT DO YOU PAY WHEN YOU WIN?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
This is a subject that has always bothered me for as long as I've been a member on eBay.
Now, I'm not new to it at all being a member there for over ten years and I've always paid immediately after the auction closes or on very rare occasions a several minutes later. And on one or maybe even two other times, after previously asking the seller if it be okay to pay a little late, as in a day because I really wanted the item but, wouldn't have the funds till the next day and was granted that by the seller before even bidding.
But, what I don't understand is why some just take it upon themselves to wait till the very last minute before paying without any communication to the seller even when prompted by said seller. My thoughts are sellers on eBay don't have a layaway plan nor do they sell just out of it being so much fun but, because they need the money. I hardly think that you'll find any place that lets you purchase anything and walk out the door, even though your not taking it with you, without first paying or making arrangements to pay a little later. Specially in real life auctions, you better have money in your pocket to pay or you'll give up the right to the item or items or be showed the door before even bidding.
If you haven't yet guessed, Yes I'm a seller and for the most part a buyer on eBay, only selling when need be. No fun involved. I pay on time, that means at end of auction or at a agreed time that the seller and the buyer have previously arranged. There's a golden rule that also pertains to this situation, "Do unto others as you would want done unto you" (paraphrased). So, without further ado, lets hear your reasoning pro or con on this subject.
Maybe I should have put this in the rubber room but, I reckon we'll see what the Mod's think and leave it up there discretion.

I pay the piper straight away, means I get it quicker.

Well in most cases anyway!

allyby":u4xzy5ea said:
I pay the piper straight away, means I get it quicker.

Well in most cases anyway!
That's certainly how I feel Ally! ;) 
And if the seller doesn't get it off to me promptly it's on him, at least
I've done my part promptly and properly.

Now, this goes without saying, I understand that SOMETIMES there's a problem
that can't be avoided, like sickness, had to work late, emergencies, and even death.
But, some take advantage of these excuses and use them on a regular basis instead
of being considerate to others. In other words, just being SELF-CENTERED.

Me too...I've always paid immediately. I've even received messages from sellers like "Thanks for paying so quickly, that's rare" and I'm always baffled by that.

PozzSka":rcbx9az5 said:
Me too...I've always paid immediately.  I've even received messages from sellers like "Thanks for paying so quickly, that's rare" and I'm always baffled by that.
Glad to see I'm not one of a few just yet, and Pozz, I ALWAYS contact the buyer after they pay promptly with a thank you and let them know that there item will be in the mail the next morning. Even if they haven't paid promptly, I ALWAYS notify them that there item will be shipped the next day or the following Monday if it ends on a weekend.
That's how things should be done but, I rarely get a reply from a buyer, even when I tell them I've opted to ship the item Priority out of my pocket instead of 1st class or Parcel Post for which they paid.  :scratch:

Not everyone in eBay land has the same sense of honor as you do, Cart.

I always pay at closing. My one and only only glitch was discovering my CC had expired when I tried to use PayPal a few years ago. I solved the problem within hours but it unnerved me. I hate not being able to take care of it right away. Especially when you really do have the money and the only problem is getting it there.   :oops:  :evil:

MisterE":xnicaxns said:
Not everyone in eBay land has the same sense of honor as you do, Cart.

I always pay at closing. My one and only only glitch was discovering my CC had expired when I tried to use PayPal a few years ago. I solved the problem within hours but it unnerved me. I hate not being able to take care of it right away. Especially when you really do have the money and the only problem is getting it there.   :oops:  :evil:
Oh Don't I know your right "E", the world is filled with selfish little people.
I'm just glad to know that are some that know how and why to do the right things in life.
It's just a shame I don't get many of them patronizing me when I sell on eBay. :fpalm:

And Jim, there was no question that you would. ;)

I don't think we'll hear anyone to the contrary on this subject, hopefully it has changed there minds on how to conduct themselves properly dealing on eBay and all other aspects in life, I hope.

Immediately. Most of the time if I'm going to be home when the auction is over. I'll pay as soon as I win. If I'm away at work or whatever, I'll pay as soon as I get home. I agree ," do unto others as you would have done unto you ".

millerman":08klyvf5 said:
Immediately. Most of the time if I'm going to be home when the auction is over. I'll pay as soon as I win. If I'm away at work or whatever, I'll pay as soon as I get home. I agree ," do unto others as you would have done unto you ".
Good to hear it Mr.Miller, not that I doubt anyone here, it's just I don't know many of you all enough to really know.  ;) 
Kinda like, you know who your friends really are after you loan them money.  :suspect: 

I pay immediately.

The only exception is if I'm on the road or something at work keeps me preoccupied that I can't monitor the closing of the auction - in which case I pay as soon as I get the notification/reminder that I won.

I'm glad to see that there are more of us and I know what you mean LT, I try and see if I can beat the invoice before it gets to me sometimes. I've become pretty good at typing fast when I want to be, even for being a two finger plucker. ;) 

I caught myself thinking again this year, Yeah I know, that's dangerous. But anyway, I was thinking if they can develop a sniper program that bids for you automatically at a certain time, why not develop one that PAYS for you at the end of an auction. Then no one would have to wait on the selfish or the few that have had emergencies or unexpected difficulties from time to time. And it would make it even easier for the prompt and proper ones too. ;) 

Cartaphilus":5ndm4dih said:
I caught myself thinking again this year, Yeah I know, that's dangerous. But anyway, I was thinking if they can develop a sniper program that bids for you automatically at a certain time, why not develop one that PAYS for you at the end of an auction. Then no one would have to wait on the selfish or the few that have had emergencies or unexpected difficulties from time to time. And it would make it even easier for the prompt and proper ones too. ;) 
Hmm a program that has control of your payment information. I don't think I would want to be a part of it. I will just do it the old fashioned was of using paypal!!!

herbinedave":h7ihabrk said:
Cartaphilus":h7ihabrk said:
Hmm a program that has control of your payment information.  I don't think I would want to be a part of it.  I will just do it the old fashioned was of using paypal!!!
Ah! But you see, PayPal has the same control. When your balance is low or zero it takes it from your Bank account to pay for the item. So what would be the difference? In fact if PayPal could do it it be even better see'en they already have your info and permission. The only down side is would there be a charge for it and how much?

I always pay immediately.

I did forget about a pipe that I had bid on last year though. Something hinky was going on with my email and I didn't get the notification that I had won...that'll teach me to rely on my phone to dowload messages when they come through. I just randomly logged in the day after the auction and saw the winning bid. It was a Monday and payday wasn't until Friday. I sent the seller an email asap to let them know what was going on. 12:01am Friday morning I paid for the pipe.

It was dumb on my part to forget about the auction and that I spent the money on something else in the mean time. I would never not communicate with a seller to try to sherk my responsibility or stretch them out for the payment.