How to apply carnauba wax to a new buffer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've got a very hard block of carnauba wax and a brand new spinning buffer

How do you go about to "charge" the buffer with said wax, please?

A light touch is all you need. I've been buffing pipes for years on the same block of carnauba, probably 1000 pipes. The block is only half used. What you don't want is wax accumulation which is easy to do. Holding the wax firmly to the wheel for approximately 1-3 seconds is all you should need.

I thank you ! :cheers:

Will try buffing my first pipe tomorrow.....old reject, just for in case I make a blunder

I received buffer and carnauba from Charl Goussard as a gift. He told me the same as you did. Just wanted to make sure I heard him correctly. I'm a bit nervous, never even touched this stuff before.

He also warned me to be careful, the buff might grab the pipe from me :lol:

Oh, may I use carnauba on vulcanite stems too? Forgot to ask Charl about it

Ocelot55":zgy8j9wu said:
A light touch is all you need. I've been buffing pipes for years on the same block of carnauba, probably 1000 pipes. The block is only half used. What you don't want is wax accumulation which is easy to do. Holding the wax firmly to the wheel for approximately 1-3 seconds is all you should need.
I'm waiting for a Sasieni 4 dot estate which I bought from the Blue Room last week!

Like all have said and remember, YOU WILL GET a pipe snagged and it will go flying across the room! :twisted:  So I would start practicing on old ones you don't care about even going to a second hand store and buying some lesser valued pipes to practice on. It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of this procedure!! :twisted:

SpeedyPete":jvyjii4x said:
Ocelot55":jvyjii4x said:
I'm waiting for a Sasieni 4 dot estate  which I bought from the Blue Room last week!
I hope you like it!

Ya don't need to lean into, it just a light, even touch of the pipe to the center of wheel with a good grip.
Trying to keep one finger in the chamber helps to keep it in your hand.
I use a down motion when buffing a pipe, some do not but, I find it puts a shine on it much quicker and evenly. ;)

You can wax Vulcanite stems if you wish, I personally use a hand applied wax made for pipes on Vulcanite and then buff
with a clean wheel.