how to clean estate pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Dunhill estate pipe that has some residue caked along the inside of the bowl. For the first time using this pipe, I smoked a bowl of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake. I could not enjoy the smoke because it was contaminated with a strong smell of latakia. I was thinking of using a dremel with an abrasive bit to clean out the bowl but I am afraid of damaging the pipe. Any suggestions?

If (since) it's a good pipe and you're so unfamiliar with the tool(s) and procedure involved, I'd recommend you send it to a reputable pipe restoration guy to do for you -- there are several here on the board.

:face:

I wrote this some time ago, and it is intended as a primer for the neophyte, safe instructions for the basics, but not so inclusive as to be confusing. And suggestions for clarification are greatly sought, it is perfectly clear to me what i am trying to say, but I don't know how it well I succeeded . :oops:

How to clean an estate pipe

Let us try to break it down:
1) the stem or mouthpiece: a] inner air channel-clean with pipe cleaner and alcohol (alcohol need not be drinkable, but use as high of purity or proof as available) repeat until the pipe cleaner comes out completely clean.
b] exterior - on typical black stem clean with super mild abrasive, currently i am trying toothpaste rubbed in with fingers, although I have in the past used: a very fine metal grain paste metal polish; a paste type stem cleaner: fine grain rubbing compound; extremely fine grit foam packed sanding pads, depending upon the degree of oxidation. When cleaned and polished acceptably, protect with a pipe wax or stem wax.
WARNING: do not use a buffing wheel unless you really know what you are doing. Mechanical buffing wheels easily develop high enough heat to cause distortions in the surface that are impossible to fix. Over buffing can also thin out the stem to the extent that it will break.

2) wooden bowl: a) tobacco chamber: i: if the cake is built up over the thickness of a dime you may want to trim this, this will help prevent heat build up and cracking. There are a number different tools made for this purpose, all of which share a common feature, they do not have sharpened edges which could lead to gouging into the side of the bowl. For this reason it is NOT advised to use a knife blade. I have two tools I use, a Bittner style reamer which is handy to carry around with me, and Kleen-n-Reem which is the at home tool. In addition to reaming the bowl, this latter tool also has a built in hand drill for cleaning out the air and draft hole.
ii: cleaning out rancid oils in the bowl. Tobacco like any plant has oils and sugars in it, some of which permeate the wood of the bowl and will over time turn rancid. Additionally there may be smells and tastes from previous tobaccos, which may not be the taste you wanted when you bought your tobacco blend, whether you smoke a cherry aromatic or a latakia laced English blend you don't want it tasting of the other. You can buy commercial "pipe sweetners", a relative expensive method, or you can use the "Professor's" alcohol and salt method or the alcohol & cotton ball method which are relatively cheap and generally effective. (these methods are described in detail on many pipe care sites on the web) [Some people have attributed cracking problems due to salt and alcohol process, although I have never seen such a problem.]
iii. cleaning black bowl rim- dampen with saliva and rub with cloth and this will generally come off.

3) Mortise and air channel, after swabbing out the mortise (the hole the mouthpiece goes into) with alcohol soaked Q-tip wipe with the dry end, repeat and continue until you can get a clean wipe. Repeat process using pipe cleaner on the air hole until you can get a clean wipe.

4) wipe and wax exterior to renew finish until satisfied. [I use and am quite pleased with Halcyon II and Paragon waxes, the two formulas are needed as one is for smooth and the other rusticated surfaces.]

Let pipe stand idle for at least 24 hours, with mouthpiece unmounted, to maximize airflow and allow any residual alcohol to evaporate.
Enjoy

Al Lanman

Yak":el5srmj6 said:
If (since) it's a good pipe and you're so unfamiliar with the tool(s) and procedure involved, I'd recommend you send it to a reputable pipe restoration guy to do for you -- there are several here on the board.

:face:
Agreed!