How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday morning, early. Woke up to 2” of fresh snow on top of a 1/4” layer of “freezing rain”. With our roads having lots and lots of grades and twisty turns this will be an ugly commute because the brave morons that think they have a vehicle that can drive on anything, will try. There is no surface with less traction to cars, etc. than a thin layer of snow over a sheet of solid ice. The snow compacts up into the tire, filling the tread and that whole thing glides across the ice like the runner of a bobsled. A wonderfully slick and slippery combo. Tire studs do no good and even chains aren’t all that effective. I won’t go further into the physics of that here and now. I’m just glad I’m not a State Farm agent.

I’m just keeping my fingers crossed re not losing power. A quarter inch of ice coating power lines and tree limbs adds a huge amount of weight. Widow makers come down out of the trees, sometimes onto already stressed lines and kaboom...that’s all she wrote. Easy to lose power to a few streets...multiple neighborhoods...even half the city. If bad enough it takes the crews days to even weeks to get things back together. Not a pretty Currier & Ives postcard.

Ya I've been watching the weather back up the Pac NW. The area I moved from is being hammered with 3 powerful storms, bringing accumulation to the lowlands, much more in the higher elevations, and wind gusts of up to 50 mph. That's a sure formula for light's out. Ask me how I know this! 😯

Stay safe and sound Dave, and have your backup genny fueled and ready.

Cheers,

RR

Friday morning, early. Woke up to 2” of fresh snow on top of a 1/4” layer of “freezing rain”. With our roads having lots and lots of grades and twisty turns this will be an ugly commute because the brave morons that think they have a vehicle that can drive on anything, will try. There is no surface with less traction to cars, etc. than a thin layer of snow over a sheet of solid ice. The snow compacts up into the tire, filling the tread and that whole thing glides across the ice like the runner of a bobsled. A wonderfully slick and slippery combo. Tire studs do no good and even chains aren’t all that effective. I won’t go further into the physics of that here and now. I’m just glad I’m not a State Farm agent.

I’m just keeping my fingers crossed re not losing power. A quarter inch of ice coating power lines and tree limbs adds a huge amount of weight. Widow makers come down out of the trees, sometimes onto already stressed lines and kaboom...that’s all she wrote. Easy to lose power to a few streets...multiple neighborhoods...even half the city. If bad enough it takes the crews days to even weeks to get things back together. Not a pretty Currier & Ives postcard.
I/we can feel your pain!!!! Gonna' be about 18F by this afternoon, maybe!! Ice covered with dry snow flurries. The bad chit moves in tomorrow for 4-to-5 days! WX pundits still talking 12-14" inches of snow. Just hope we don't lose power! We do have a nice gas fireplace!! FTRPLT

Well, we’re pretty much screwed. We’ve got a 1”+ coating of freezing rain on EVERYTHING that’s outside...trees, sidewalks, deck stairs, parked cars...a huge mess. The ice is phenomenal, but not in a good way. Step outside here in the neighborhood and every minute or so you can hear another branch somewhere crack under the weight of the ice load. There’s a tree down and across the road two houses down from us. Truly nasty.

Here’s a few shots taken around our house:

31DC5546-E9B0-4EDE-8027-25428F7901A5.jpeg
42134372-9D12-484B-9116-A08ED30F4739.jpeg

OKC's massive ice storm late last year looked exactly like yours, BH!! Work crews are still picking up tree limbs; won't be through until March!!
Woke up this morning to 9F, snow flurries with big snow starting tonight around midnight, and a high today of 16-18F!! Looking at 12-14" of white stuff with single digit highs/minus night time temps for a few days. Forecast temps above freezing not until next frappin' Friday!! Needless to say, my "puffin' on the patio" will have to wait for damn near another week!! FTRPLT

Last edited:
Rande - Power grid still holding. We get a flicker every once in a while which all the electronic stuff with digital clocks don’t like, but we’re OK with it so long as it comes right back. The satellite is totally encased in ic so that’s not working. Glad we have the ROKU. Local channels plus a bazillion others. Fingers crossed.

Not the first time we’re really glad we moved into the rare neighborhood...with underground utilities. If we had overhead power lines, etc. the tree that fell two houses down would have taken the lines down for sure. Whew!

Doesn't look like much, but it's frozen solid and on the streets it's tretcherous! Went out this A.M. and t'was like driving on an ice rink. Won't do that again.

20210213_164926_001.jpg

Yeah...it’s the stuff you can’t really see that nails you as you and three other cars are each headed toward a four way intersection all from different directions. So annoying. It’s not the noise of the crash so much as all that screaming right up to it.

Yeah...it’s the stuff you can’t really see that nails you as you and three other cars are each headed toward a four way intersection all from different directions. So annoying. It’s not the noise of the crash so much as all that screaming right up to it.
Okay, I'm old (74) but not an idiot. Some 'yut' in a little rice rocket was on my tail for about 1/4 mile. I just took my foot off'n the gas and slowed to a point where he passed me by. He gave me the stink-eye, and I just smiled watching his tail lights. Did say a quick prayer that he wouldn't be badly hurt if/when he came to an abrupt stop. I'm not a monster!

Okay, I'm old (74) but not an idiot. Some 'yut' in a little rice rocket was on my tail for about 1/4 mile. I just took my foot off'n the gas and slowed to a point where he passed me by. He gave me the stink-eye, and I just smiled watching his tail lights. Did say a quick prayer that he wouldn't be badly hurt if/when he came to an abrupt stop. I'm not a monster!
Hmmm. I’m only 73 so I have to bow to your far greater age. It goes before beauty ya know.

I’m a huge advocate of slowing gradually, making them itchy to pass. I used to drive between Prince Rupert, BC and Portland, OR and practiced the technique on the resident Canadian drivers up there. I’d be going 55 mph and they’d roar past me doing a solid 80 mph. It made me feel very secure knowing they were up ahead clearing the Mounties out of their speed traps. Sometimes I’d even toot my horn in a friendly greeting as I drove by their car, parked off to the side right in front of that big ol’ white RCMP Crown Vickie with its chase lights flashing. Yup...safe driving pays off in many ways.

43B6F6B1-8882-46FC-826C-FE423790A182.jpeg

Currently two degrees above freezing. Ice is slowly melting. The deck and yard are SOLID ice...about an inch thick. My Pug, Watson, has discovered a safe path behind the shrubery...leading to his yellow snow field. This is all supposed to be history within two more days. In typical Oregon valley fashion it’ll be mid to upper 40’s and rain as of tomorrow. No complaints here.

Starting tonight we are suppose to get six to eight inches of snow until Wednesday in Sullivan Indiana. This Arizona boy not use to that except when I'm up on the Mogollon Rim in November.

Woke up to 5F with blowing snow this morning! 3-4" already on ground. Now almost 7F with big time blowing snow. Forecast is damn cold with 8-16" of snow, depending on where you may be within the snow "band." This is just the first wave! A second wave is on the way!! Single digit temps forecast thru Wednesday; above freezing temps by Thursday hopefully. What a deal!!!!! FTRPLT

Yesterday, 2/13/2021 was really windy and so dusty it looked similar to a snow whiteout. I think they call it a haboob. Not hahaha funny and boobs, wish it were. Anyhow today is sunny and clear with a mild breeze.

The corvettes were out in full force today. Probably saw two dozen including two of the new ones.