How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woke up to +12F this morning!! Already +25F at 10am; heading to +34F by the afternoon!! May see some melting, who knows.
BH, your story about the lady and her power line to her house is all to familiar!! As the Heartland is prone to many ice storms (ala the one here a few months ago that we are still cleaning up!!), I find it amazing the number of home/property owners who don't know that the line connection to their electric meter is theirs to maintain (same with water and gas meters/lines, in most states). The power company cannot connect power to a faulty/damaged/destroyed meter! The owner must have it repaired/brought up to code. This situation also brings up the situation where some areas have underground power lines (as I do), while others still have poles and power lines (hence prone to ice damage). Ah, the joys of home ownership!!! FTRPLT

Still have about a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Sunny outside (for now) with a high of 20 degrees and a low of -4 degrees. Luckily we don't have a power issue. If it becomes an issue my camper has a 180 watt solar panel along with a 4000 watt Onan generator if something went wrong. We drove to Indianapolis yesterday to take my Granddaughter to the Payton Manning Children's Hospital (fantastic Doctors and Nurses) for follow up check ups from her hip surgeries and was surprised of the numbers of big rigs that were jacknifed and wrecked in the medium and the side of the road. I assumed from the storms and road conditions.

Woke up to +12F this morning!! Already +25F at 10am; heading to +34F by the afternoon!! May see some melting, who knows.
BH, your story about the lady and her power line to her house is all to familiar!! As the Heartland is prone to many ice storms (ala the one here a few months ago that we are still cleaning up!!), I find it amazing the number of home/property owners who don't know that the line connection to their electric meter is theirs to maintain (same with water and gas meters/lines, in most states). The power company cannot connect power to a faulty/damaged/destroyed meter! The owner must have it repaired/brought up to code. This situation also brings up the situation where some areas have underground power lines (as I do), while others still have poles and power lines (hence prone to ice damage). Ah, the joys of home ownership!!! FTRPLT

I found out all about this many years ago back in WA state right after getting clobbered with a devastating windstorm. I had a 100' Hemlock come down right next to my kitchen and took down the power lines from the pole to my weather-head. Pulled the weather-head right out of the roof too!

When the power crews finally came around to re-energize the lines I found out their responsibility stops at the pole. Anything from there to my house is up to me! Fortunately I found a local electrician that came by later that day and repaired the weather-head. That in itself was a miracle since all electricians were going in 3 different directions right about then.

The power company crew was still in my neighborhood and I managed to talk them into coming back to my house to energize the line to the house. Went without power 4 days that time with no genny. Brutal. Welcome to the Pac NW!

:mad:

No Cheers,

RR

BD, excellent point about finding a qualified electrician during these emergency times. What I love are the folks who go online looking for a good, cheap electrician (or plumber/handyman, etc.) who will be there immediately!!! I read one person's such request saying they could only pay $50 for the restoration work! Wanna' guess how many replies they received???????????? FTRPLT

Weather...jeez...after the worst ice storm in a hundred years it looks like Spring here. Early bulbs are up (Snow Drops & Daffodils). Flowering trees are budding (Cherry & Plum). Several species of migratory birds have been through Oregon on their way to wherever they go (various Warblers, Thrushes, Vireos, Sparrows & Grosbeaks).

At 3:43 cst in St. Paul-Mpls. it's 60 F. Hard to believe. I wish I felt well enough to go out for a walk.

Beautiful day here in the mountains. 55 degrees this am. 60 right now and a warm breeze. Finishing up some Hobbits Weed and pondering the stars.

The flippin wind here in the Colorado River Valley is almost as bad as Wyoming. At least it quits for a few days before cranking back up again.