How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mighty warm and humid here in the Heartland!!! High 90's to low triple digits! Gotta' do my puffin' either early in the morning or later in afternoon/evening!! FTRPLT

A thunder storm rolled through this morning and woke me up just after 4:00 so I got up. The dog didn't really want to go out in the rain. Had a flash of lightning almost immediately followed by a clap of thunder. A bit close! 3/4" of rain in the gauge. We can use it. 67°F now at 6:57 with more rain on the way.

Got pretty wild here yesterday afternoon when a front moved in - temp dropped from 110 to 90 and high winds I estimate to be 30 mph sustained with gusts to 50. I got pretty good at estimating wind speeds from all my years living in WA state. There they could easily be double that! Fortunately here services are underground and there are no trees to fall on my house. Had some lightning at sunup to the north of me but no rain yet.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited:
102F here right now; heading for 104F!! Crazy thing is...tomorrow's high is a forecast 83F!!!! Better go find my wool sweater/s!! FTRPLT

And now, for something completely different - RAIN!

Was awakened in the middle of last night to the sounds of rain pattering on my roof. Started off with gentle rain and then increased to heavy before tapering off into showers. Some thunder boomers off in the distance. It was all done by the time I got up but it was humid as all get out. First rain we've had in months and months.

Cheers,

RR

An acquaintance bought one of those swings with an awning cover. It sticks out from their roof overhang by a couple feet. Since buying this, they get water in the basement. The awning is adjustable by loosening and tightening a couple large knobs. "When you know it is going to rain heavy, why don't you just tilt it forward and away from the house rather than keeping it tilted back and towards the house?" "Eh, it's only a little bit. That's not why we're getting water in the basement."

So, I looked it up. Just last night, we got 2-3 inches in an hour. "An inch of rainfall on a square foot of surface area yields . 623 gallons." I'm guessing this person has around 10-12 square feet of awning funneling water towards the house. Yeah, you got water in your basement because of that awning, buddy.

Yesterday it was hot, humid, and miserable. Typical weather for the mid-west this time of year. Lots of activity in South Dakota, Nebraska, southern Minnesota, and northwest Iowa before I went to bed last night. We got some wind but not enough rain.

Supposed to be milder temperatures today (only 90° F for a high) with the possibility of rain off-and-on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Today is July 8th. It's currently 12:17. At noon it was 73...and raining. Still! I like the cooler temp, but could do without the rain. It's been high 80s all week.

Triple digits here the last few days with more to come! We did get a break late yesterday afternoon. Big ol' "high plains" thunderstorms came rolling thru the area!! Temps dropped 30 degrees with decent rain (wanted much more!!). FTRPLT

Triple digits here the last few days with more to come! We did get a break late yesterday afternoon. Big ol' "high plains" thunderstorms came rolling thru the area!! Temps dropped 30 degrees with decent rain (wanted much more!!). FTRPLT
Not sure of exact.high today but.near 110. To hot to do ANYTHING outside. Worse, nights dont.cool things off here in South Texas. At 2am this morning it.was 87. Lordy, I miss my Montara high country. Even though my former residence of Red Lodge flooded like the dickens.