Howdy from Lubbock Texas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Bob

Reaction score
Hello!

I was a tobacconist for 14 years at Just For Him in Springfield MO. Currently, I am a PhD student at Texas Tech in (God Help Me!) Lubbock Texas. I have way too many pipes and smoke way too many different kinds of tobacco to list. I enjoy astronomy, religion, philosophy, baseball, and I brew my own mead.

Thats about it! See you in the forums.

-Uncle Bob

Welcome to the board Bob! Sounds like you'll have lots to add to our little community.

A warm welcome Uncle Bob... I would guess that it would be Rangers and Astro's in baseball.

-Paul :D

"I enjoy astronomy, religion, philosophy, baseball, and I brew my own mead."

Welcome, Uncle Bob!

I'm a big fan of the Discovery, National Geographic and History channels; I believe organized religion is the biggest scam in history, but I believe in God so I've convinced myself that the loathsome shortcomings of man are responsible; I've been a St Louis Cardinals fan since I was a kid, and I hate that Bill Dewitt is turning the team into the Minnesota Twins of the National League; I consumed so much beer in my 20's and 30's that I'm still mildly intoxicated, so I no longer drink. I hope there's something in there that we can agree upon, and I look forward to reading your posts.

JT :gatewheel:

Slow Puffs":zs93rgtk said:
A warm welcome Uncle Bob... I would guess that it would be Rangers and Astro's in baseball.

-Paul :D
No, I am a Tigers and Cardinals fan. All I can get on the radio is the Texans though.

They have been making some smart moves. I bet the Bo Sox are going to be in good shape.. again (grumble..). :D

There are a couple of Cleveland fans on this Board. They need to be humbled :lol: :lol: . When the season starts, it's good to know that they may get :p :p :p
:D Paul

Welcome! Brew your own mead. . .I'll have to look that one up!

I looked up mead and find that other than including honey in the recipe, not much is different than other kinds of brew. I know that usually sugar is a component of most recipes, to give the yeast something to eat, but as most brews are not sweet, it is entirely consumed, I suppose, in the brewing process. I would imagine that honey is used similarly, but is the amount of honey more than what the yeast will eat? And thus is mead sweeter than most brews?

Oh, and as a further comment on mead's components, no hops.

Howdy Uncle Bob:

I'm not much for the religion of baseball, but I do appreciate the philosophy of astronomy. Welcome to this thang. :mrgreen:

Vito :joker:

alfredo_buscatti":nhq8qnsg said:
Welcome! Brew your own mead. . .I'll have to look that one up!

I looked up mead and find that other than including honey in the recipe, not much is different than other kinds of brew. I know that usually sugar is a component of most recipes, to give the yeast something to eat, but as most brews are not sweet, it is entirely consumed, I suppose, in the brewing process. I would imagine that honey is used similarly, but is the amount of honey more than what the yeast will eat? And thus is mead sweeter than most brews?

Oh, and as a further comment on mead's components, no hops.
Howdy!

There are different kinds of yeasts and the mazer attempts to use yeast and the kind and amount of honey to achieve different levels of sweetness that range from dry to sticky-sweet. I have a mead that tastes like a pilsner and I have a mead that is so sweet I certainly cant drink it straight. I do have a mead blog: http://meadsafari.blogspot.com

Do you brew beer?

Wassup UB, didn't I just see you over at GFO? You get around dude :D

Holler if you're ever in Houston!

UncleBob, good to see you make your way here from CPS. I hope you like this community just as much, and welcome. The mead still sounds tasty. I plan to brew some eventually. :pipe: