Howl long has it been since you say a rocket launch?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mhrkdHshb3E" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I haven't seen a launch since I left Florida in 2011. It used to be a common occurance.

My father was an engineer on the Saturn V booster during the Apolo program, so I was a NASA kid. When we moved to Central Florida I was elated that we could see the launches from the cul-de-sac in front our home.

I do remember one launch in particular as it made a huge impact on me. It was one of the last shuttle launches and I watched the countdown on the local TV station then rushed out to the street to watch it go. I was excited as usual and noticed that a group of the neighborhood kids were playing in the yard across the street. I yelled to them "hey, the shuttle is going to launch!" I'll never forget one of the boys replied to me "So what? They do that all the time" then went on with what they were doing.

The last shuttle mission was in 2011. Since then we’ve been riding with the Russians...or something. That’ll change soon. Right?

Bub...you might think about toning down the automatic spelling screwup software...it’s slapping your post around pretty good. :lol:

:lol!:

Last launch I saw was back in the early 90's. A Minuteman III launched from Vandenburg AFB in California.

I saw a big Delta rocket go up sometime in January, 1990. I was in Orlando. Roughly 30 miles from the Cape. It was impressive as it was after sundown. I think I had just missed a Shuttle launch in early January.

I was working at Kennedy when Apollo 11 launched. Our rocket launched a few days before. We were the "Biosatellite" launch. I was in the spectator area when 11 went up. When our monkey came down I was part of the crew that pulled him out of the capsule-in the Pacific. We had lots of questions for nasa regarding safety for the men going into space. How many children do you think astronauts who have been in space for any extended time have had? Our monkey went up 94% fertile, after 8 days he was sterile. Despite the fact that we were a NASA group, they had no comment for any of our questions. It was a GREAT launch though.