How's Your Short Term Memory

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
My older brother (80) marvels at the things I remember from our childhood of which he has no recollection. My long term memory is sharp, but I'm occasionally frightened by my short term memory shortcomings. Over the three days of the weekend (Fri-Sun) I went several places with a tablet. On Monday, I could not find it, no matter where in the house I looked. I stopped in everywhere I had been looking to locate the tablet. No dice. Finally, I asked my older daughter for some help. Five minutes in the house and she had the tablet in hand. "Dad, it was in plain sight in the back seat of your car." I do not remember putting it there or seeing it there.

I feel your pain. I misplaced several important items during packing for my move to AZ 3 years ago. I still have no clue what I did with them.

Cheers,

RR

My short term memory is woeful, I can get up to go to a room for a specific thing and when I get there I ask myself why am I here? And I'm in my mid forties...

Both my grandfathers died of Alzheimers, so I don't hold out much hope for me. Though both my grans and my mum were sharp as a tack until the end. 🤞

Heck, we've all done this on occasion!! I put something down, walk off; then try to remember where I put it! I do a "backtrack" routine which works 95% of the time. My long-term memory/ies are spot on!! Short-term...sometimes I can't think of what I had for lunch yesterday! Then I ask myself..."Who the f@*k cares???? But I do know what pipes and tobacco I smoked yesterday!!! Now that's important s$%t!!! LOL!!!!! FTRPLT

Spent a couple of minutes looking for my phone the other day before leaving to go to work. Wife asks "what are you looking for" which irks me as I replied "nothing". Found it in my hand along with keys and wallet while looking for it in the living room. Very glad I found it before she did.

Spent a couple of minutes looking for my phone the other day before leaving to go to work. Wife asks "what are you looking for" which irks me as I replied "nothing". Found it in my hand along with keys and wallet while looking for it in the living room. Very glad I found it before she did.

Hehehe, had a wood work teacher that would do that in year nine. He'd wander around with his set of keys, which were needed to start up the wood working equipment, in his hands saying, "where's my keys boys, where are my keys..."

We would also get him when he was wearing velcro shoes by telling him his shoe laces were undone. Always a long stare at his shoes before having a go at us for tricking him.

We had a truly wonderful teacher when I was in Jr High School. She would scurry around the room looking for her glasses…which were neatly tucked above her forehead with the stems inserted firmly into her hair.

We also had a math teacher from Scotland that would work equations on the blackboard with his back to the room. We were terrified of him cause he would, with total accuracy, call out the name of anyone that was doing some forbidden act in the room. He continued to write on the board while asking with evil glee - Like…”Mr. Harris, what is in that note you just passed to Miss. Jenkins? Would you care to stand are share it with the rest of us? I’m sure we would ALL like to hear.” We in the back would throw erasers at each other…”Oh, brilliant shot Mr. Harris. A bit lower and you would have caught Mr. Dalton right on the chin!” But all that was a different story…he was sharp as a tack!

In 1960, Maybelle Mattson was my world history teacher. She often had difficulty keeping her days straight and would start to teach the same material two days consecutively, until someone told her, "that was yesterday."
Above the blackboard in front of the room was a large framed black and white photograph with a young woman and her class. There was an engraved metal plate, "To Maybelle Mattson, Our Favorite Teacher from the Class of 1918." When I had Miss Mattson, I'd guess she was nearing 70.

Think I posted on here yesterday, or was it wednesday? Can't remember. Just kidding, I'm sharp as ever although I do occasionally go to the store for something specific and forget what is was when I get there, lol. I also sometimes forget to do things the wife asks me to do, but in all honesty not sure I can attribute that to memory loss. Haha.

We had a truly wonderful teacher when I was in Jr High School. She would scurry around the room looking for her glasses…which were neatly tucked above her forehead with the stems inserted firmly into her hair.

We also had a math teacher from Scotland that would work equations on the blackboard with his back to the room. We were terrified of him cause he would, with total accuracy, call out the name of anyone that was doing some forbidden act in the room. He continued to write on the board while asking with evil glee - Like…”Mr. Harris, what is in that note you just passed to Miss. Jenkins? Would you care to stand are share it with the rest of us? I’m sure we would ALL like to hear.” We in the back would throw erasers at each other…”Oh, brilliant shot Mr. Harris. A bit lower and you would have caught Mr. Dalton right on the chin!” But all that was a different story…he was sharp as a tack!
My fav teacher was Ms. Cheny. Probably in her 70s, taught Latin, and sharp as a tack. Must have been a Catholic school teacher at one time as she walked around with a ruler and if she caught you goofing off would slap the desk with it and scare the crap out of the whole room. But most fun teacher was Ms. Wolf. Very tall, near 6', and beautiful. Long raven black hair. Think she might have been part native american. Taught math, trig, and geometry. Had a huge German shepherd she called Dammit and drove an Austin Healy Sprite bugeye. Funny as hell to see her and Dammit sitting in the Sprite heads towering above the windshield.

How do I know I’m as sharp as ever if my memory is going?

Like others have alluded to, I can clearly remember the drive in movies with a special girlfriend of my youth. I just can’t remember why I’m standing here in the kitchen. Fair trade.

How do I know I’m as sharp as ever if my memory is going?

Like others have alluded to, I can clearly remember the drive in movies with a special girlfriend of my youth. I just can’t remember why I’m standing here in the kitchen. Fair trade.
Read an interesting article a few months ago by a noted Dr. and psychologist. Can't remember his name, lol, but basically he said if you are aware that you can't remember then you don't have dementia but just normal aging. His contention was that folks who have dementia don't know they have it. If you are aware you are forgetful you are normal, lol. I will go along with his theory although I'm not sure I was ever normal, lol.