Humans used tobacco 12,300 years ago, new discovery suggests

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but we're they smoking it or burning it for heat??
I think they were chewing/eating it. If my first wife's mother were still alive, I'd ask her for some first person experience.

I think they were chewing/eating it. If my first wife's mother were still alive, I'd ask her for some first person experience.
The old lady despised me. I was a rough looking 24-year-old Viet Vet and her college freshman daughter was an "innocent" 19-year-old child and we were living together out of wedlock.

Wow! Tobacco seeds are mighty small these days. Were they a lot bigger 12,300 years ago - like coconuts or dinosaurs maybe?
Old vaudeville joke.
Salesman is traveling through the midwest. In Chicago, he sees the flashing lighted sign above a burlesque theater. "Limited Engagement The Fabulous Cracko" He's got nothing to do that evening, so he buys a ticket for the show. There are the dancing girls, comedians, and then out comes The Fabulous Cracko.
Cracko looks to in his 50s and is wearing a formal tuxedo jacket with tails, but from the waist down, nothing.
A round of applause as Cracko stands behind a low table at center stage. A beautiful woman comes out with a platter on which there are two smallish walnuts and sets the platter down in front of Cracko.
In one motion, with his "male member" he shatters the walnuts to enormous applause.

30 years later the Salesman is again traveling through the midwest. As he wanders around Chicago, he happens upon the same theater where he'd seen The Fabulous Cracko 30 years earlier. The theater is run down, but there's still flashing lights, and they are announcing the return of The Fabulous Cracko. Salesman buys a ticket, but is thinking it can't be the original Cracko, he'd be in his 80s.

The show hasn't changed much, but the dancing girls are now older and heavier, the comedians are laden with old gags. And using a walker, out comes a very old Fabulous Cracko, still wearing a tux with tails and nothing from the waist down. Again, he stands behind a low table at center stage, as a woman brings out a platter with two large coconuts.
In one motion, with his "male member" he shatters the coconuts to enormous applause.

The salesman can't believe what he's just witnessed and gives an usher a $100 tip to introduce him to The Fabulous Cracko. Back in Cracko's dressing room, the salesman introduces himself and compliments Cracko on his act.
Then asks, "Thirty years ago, I saw your act and you were using walnuts. Now, obviously much older, why are you using coconuts?"
To which The Fabulous Cracko replied, "The eyes are the first to go."

I thought they smoked it in both ceremony and smoke cleanses. Are there not pipes of various stones thousands of years old in museums?

Most of the stone pipes are fakes.
There are some clay pipes and clay pipe fragments but they are all relatively “new” in archaeological terms.
There have been some discoveries of pipes made of metal dating back 4000 years in eqypt. But there is no evidence of tobacco or smoking.
They were most likely used for ceremonial activities.
The Maya civilization has the oldest known record of tobacco usage/consumption. Bowls and flasks with tobacco residue and hieroglyphics denoting “tobacco” have been discovered recently.
Tobacco-has generally been associated wIth ceremonial activities and the Maya…smoked, chewed or simply allowed to float to the heavens.
Early dating suggests the above pots & flasks are over 1000 years old. The oldest known depiction of a personage smoking is from July 23, 690 CE in Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico.
He is God L.. often associated with war, wealth and magic.
He is depicted as elderly with a cigar or pipe (still debated) at his lips as smoke curls into the air.

Attachments

• ADD83594-3778-409A-BC07-165F5521E057.jpeg
    ADD83594-3778-409A-BC07-165F5521E057.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: