Humidor impressions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ego Archive

Reaction score
I thought I would see what you guys think of this humidor!

I've outgrown my 20ct Humidor, and have a bunch of cigars sitting in cigar boxes with little humidor packs; so, rather then just go up to a 75-100ct humidor, I figure I will jump up a couple sizes...since I will probably get there eventually anyhow.

What do you think, is there a better choice for upgrading?

PS. I know this probably wont actually hold 300, but 150-200 would probably be more then I should ever need...I hope.

hollywood":9d0wuk82 said:
If you really want the best bang for your buck; try this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4807332

$40 bucks for the cooler; $40 for humidity beads; 50 cents for distilled water; and you're done!! Will hold a ton of smokes and the humidity will stay rock solid!! If you feel froggy; you can even add some cedar planks, too.
Funny enough I have a cooler sitting around, that I was thinking of doing that with also. The only problem with the cooler is it doesn't seem to have the same ambience that something like a wood piece would have, so I was figuring it would be box storage if/when I get to that point. :shock:

Ego,

For the money you just can't go wrong with a nice piece like that. But you may want to go bigger! :twisted: I know you may think you won't ever need more than a 300 count humidor....right? .......wrong! :evil: I started out with a 50 ct. and went upto a 150 then a 300 and then started investing in coolidors and tupperdors! Now I'm pushing about 1700 sticks and I have no need for smaller humidors because my wife let me build a walk-in! :twisted:

If you don't think you will ever go above 300 sticks then get the one you mentioned. If you may go above 300 I say go with some coolidors/tupperdors or go with a nice furniture piece like:

COFFEE-TABLE-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-LARGE-FURNITURE-CASE-400-500

or

400-ct-CIGAR-HUMIDOR-CABINET-END-TABLE-DISPLAY-CASE

The above is a great buy!

or

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=M-HUM5000&cat=82

Hope you find this helpful.

Lucky

Nicely done, Paul. Great links.

What Lucky sais pretty much sums it up. I too got bit hard by the cigar bug and have mroe sticks than I can smoke in 5 yrs. I store them in a coolerdor...or two.
However, I do like to keep my active rotation sticks handy and want them displayed so I picked up a nice glasstop ( which has its merits as well other than asthetics, but I digress) as a display/easy access.
I am also getting ahead of meself, but a long term storage "humidor" will most likely be at a higher RH as cigars mature/age at an optimum rh of around %70/70 degrees. When you are grabbing sticks regularly that RH is a bit high as the sticks will not burn as well....wait i digress again I think...

back on point: what Lucky said pretty much is along the lines of what i was thinking when I read the post. Kepp us informed!!

hollywood":8yn9size said:
If you really want the best bang for your buck; try this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4807332

$40 bucks for the cooler; $40 for humidity beads; 50 cents for distilled water; and you're done!! Will hold a ton of smokes and the humidity will stay rock solid!! If you feel froggy; you can even add some cedar planks, too.

This got me to thinking (very dangerous), about a "coolidor". You see I have this old refriderator in my basement, that isn't doing anything. Originally my thought was that I would make it into a brewmiester, but -
1. I never got around to it.
2. I prefer cigars to beer...

So I was wondering, can an old fridge be easily turned into a humidor? What would be the pros and cons, and how difficult would it be?

By the way, thank you for the previous suggestions. The humidor I was looking at sold before I purchased it (apparently), so I'm still looking around. The suggestions have been a big help; of course the cabinets are nice, but so far out of my price range, that they just serve to taunt me. :D

Seems like it would work! A person cold surely fit a butt load of cigars in a frig! The only concern woould be the humidification system. You would need one that could keep up with that amount of space and could replenish the Rh for each time you open the door. Other then that I think it's go to go.
:cheers:

Keep us updated!

Lucky

luckydogguy":qq56a9q1 said:
Seems like it would work! A person cold surely fit a butt load of cigars in a frig! The only concern woould be the humidification system. You would need one that could keep up with that amount of space and could replenish the Rh for each time you open the door. Other then that I think it's go to go.
:cheers:

Keep us updated!

Lucky
Well, I haven't picked up a new humidor yet (I bought a few too many stick, to be able to hide a humi purchase :twisted: ), but I did convert the old refridgerator into my tobacco storage station. The bottom is storage for my pipe tobacco, and the freezer is my "coolidor". It's working pretty slick for my purposes, with on issue.

It may be sealed too well. I can't get the humidity to stay down around 70%. It's been hovering in the 75-80% since I put it together, any suggestions (other than more stick, unless your going to supply them :lol: ), for getting the humity to drop down?

Wood, put in some wood preferable of the Spanish Variety. It soaks moisture like crazy when 'dry'

For something the size of your freezer section you cold go with beads! They work great at keeping the Rh at 65 or 70 (depending on which ones you get). They don't cost an arm and a leg and will be the best thing for your application.

You could order some through:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Maybe you can give them a call to see how much you would need.

How many sticks are you running right now?

Lucky