Humidor Temperature

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Well I've got my humidor set up and I opted to change from an analog hygrometer to digital hygrometer/temp gauge (Western Caliber III). I've been reading not to let your humidor reach temperatures of above 74 degrees to avoid tobacco beetle infestation. Do the senior cigar members here subscribe to this standard? I'm just looking to keep my stash from being eaten.

Thanks Fellas,

Dan

I've heard the same advice. I used to be able to easily follow said advice as the humidor lived in my northeastern basement. Now, however, it lives in my warn southeastern garage. No beetles yet, but it's only my first year here in the South...

-Andrew

Being in Arizona it is a little tough sometimes to "keep" the humidor temperature down below 74 degrees when my air-conditioning is set at 78 degrees. I keep the two humidors I have away from direct sunlight or the "warmer" places in the house and have not had any beetle problems that I know of. I would guess that they have never gotten above 80 degrees in the years that I have had a humidor going. I have always worried about having the humidity too high and causing the beetle problem. I too would be curious on what exactly "does" cause beetle infestation.

Thanks for the replies, Mike from what I've read it's high sustained heat that cause the problem, temps over 75 degrees or so for an extended period of time. Which brings up another thought, all our cigars travel to us (at least in the summer months) in hot trucks.

i keep my cigars at 65 temp (in my basement) and 63rh. i wouldn't let the cigars stay in temps above even 70 degrees, chance of beetles like you said.. put your humidor in the coolest dryest place in the house.. if you see any signs of beetles freeze your entire stash.

there are beetle larva in most cigars to begin with, they hatch at a certain temp, i'm not sure what but lets just say 72 to be on the safe side

edit; reason i say this is cause i had a beetle outbreak when my cigars were stored at 72