Hurricane Florence

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes indeed, everyone stay safe.    Some of my relatives lived in Kill Devil Hills. After his parents passed away, my cousin stayed.  He was a commercial pilot and flew to and from Elizabeth City, N.C.  Please heed the local warnings and get out to a safer area.

Well, the sustained winds are here (15-20 mph) and will increase to around 27 Sat afternoon-Sunday afternoon.  If the gusts are strong enough, we will likely lose power at some point (hopefully not, but if they go 40-50 as is currently v possible it will almost certainly happen).  Best of luck those facing worse!

Lost power and cooked spaghetti on the Coleman for lunch. Gusty winds in Fuquay Varina. Got the generator going for the fridge and freezer. Hear Rocky Mount /Tarboro had duel tornadoes. Pretty sure Topsail Island had a bad time. Onshore winds at high tide. So much for vacation next week. Stay safe everyone and keep puffin!

Sent from Topic'it App

Some local flooding & street flooding and power outages etc., but despite some flickers the power stayed on and the creek behind the apt didn't rise to really be too worrisome. Lots worse 30 miles south or east. Classes cancelled for today. Managed my usual piping; that's what yello-bole brylons are for!

I hope the others affected made it through ok

It's still raining in Greensboro, and we have a little wind, but nothing to worry about. Lost power for a very short bit yesterday morning, but otherwise, we've come through it fairly well.

What I thought was cool was that the city opened up all their parking garages, and people could park their cars for free during the storm. I'm sure it saved a lot of damage.

Video of South Topsail looked like the dunes were wiped out. Was supposed to be there this week. Now I hear Cape Lookout didn't fair well either. Guess my camping / fishing trip is toast in November.

Feel for all those poor folks down there. It will be awhile before things are normal again.

Sent from Topic'it App

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/florence/index.html#19/34.76112/-76.41112

Satellite of where we get off the ferry at Cape Lookout. Use to be 15 cabins and a two rows of camper vehicles. You can view the damage to NC by panning out and picking locations. Topsail Island structurally did ok and where I was suppose to be last week but the dunes are wiped out. Unreal.

When I was up in Boone, NC this weekend there was a lady that evacuated Wilmington with her two grandkids and foster kid. Been up there for almost 2 weeks. She said her house in Wilmington just got power back on this last Sunday and was waiting for the roads to reopen.