Hybrid Blending....Happy Results

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarPipeNYC

Reaction score
I recently mixed two commercially available, blends together and came up with a mixture that I think, is great.  So I wanted to share my results with other kindred spirits. I called my new hybrid blend:

BENEDICTION

Wilkes "High Hat"
Peter Stokkebye "Luxury Bullseye Flake"

Mix equal parts of each by WEIGHT.  I rubbed out the LBF, breaking up the Black Cavendish into tiny bits.  Hand mixed the two blends in a large bowl and then jarred the hybrid blend, for a little exchanging of atoms....just for a day or two.  A true blessing, a "Benediction" with incense -provided by the tobaccos.

****************************************************************************

Now for me, smoking straight "High Hat" was a mixed pleasure.  I am no liker of Latakia, and the residual creosote-ish flavor of HH was not a welcomed guest.  But that aroma!  All eyes turn towards HH when shows up at any party.  The aroma is special.  Not a fan of stronger, assertive, English blends either...but I couldn't say good-bye to HH just yet.  The PS-LBF was wonderful.  Sweet and grassy, and a bit-o'-honey from the Black Cavendish.  The Perique buzz was there but the hit wasn't heavy.  I liked it.

Ummmm....what if I mix both together, I thunk.  So I did, I smoked, and I enjoyed the results. Here's why:

The straight HH was a great, old fashioned mixture that's been around since the late 1800s.  It's a well balanced Englishy-American blend of special tobaccos and has a very unique room note.  But, however....just a little too much smokey Latakia for me.  So I tried to "dilute" that burnt-leather taste with the LBF....and it worked.  The hybrid sum was better than the two individual blends.  The HH calmed down quite a bit but the aroma was still there.  It was helped by the additional Perique and Virginias, from the LBF, and the Black Cavendish mellowed out the whole shebang, and turned those blessed weeds into a pleasurable surprise.  

So...that's it.  Mixed-marriages can work, sometimes.