Hypothetical Living Abroad poll

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with PB on this one, now i'm not one to blush at an off-hand remark having said a bunch myself but lets try and keep it in the rubber room.

Scotland. In the west where the winters are mild. I've spent a lot of time traveling there and have some Scottish fishing buddies. Its civilized and always interesting.

If I were fluent in Spanish, I'd look closely at Chile. Good wine, nice people and nicer trout. Argentina would also be on the list but there is a problem. As a friend once said, Argentina is a country of 37 million Italians speaking Spanish but retaining the Italian genius for government.

puros_bran":oc8sheuz said:
On the outskirts of Punta Gorda..
Tiny hut, a bottle of Rum, a real cigar... Cut off utilitys and a sweat stained t... Jimmy (Buffett or Hendrix) playing on my wore out tape deck... FN-Fal propped in the corner in case the Guatamalians start acting stupid again... A little Tiki Bar out by the sand to sell over priced drinks to the occasional gringo...

Sub Umbra Floreo
If, as I assume, you're talking about the Belize PG, I could hang there for a while. Found myself there a while back with some friends from graduate school and paid a boatman to run us over the border to Livingston for New Years. What we saved in beer and food more than paid for the boat. And you remember their national motto, "under the forest we flourish". Great idea.

I'm rather happy where I am, but if I had to move, Costa Rica is beautiful; moderately safe, and is (from what I've been able to find out) the only country in Earth that can say they have more teachers than soldiers and police. And the rum ain't bad either.

Natch

Natch":4ejg48lg said:
I'm rather happy where I am, but if I had to move, Costa Rica is beautiful; moderately safe, and is (from what I've been able to find out) the only country in Earth that can say they have more teachers than soldiers and police. And the rum ain't bad either.
Aren't you forgetting something? One of Mutha Nacha's more exquisite little horrors... the b-o-t-f-l-y?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I was going to link a youtube clip, but didn't want to be responsible for ruining people's keyboards.

Natch...

Your welcome in my hut...

Come to think of it we might deck you out in Safari Gear, and let you bartend the Tiki Hut, how's your British accent???? We can tell them you are a decendent of Baron Bliss.

Natch":a9wcu7cu said:
but if I had to move, Costa Rica is beautiful; moderately safe, and is (from what I've been able to find out) the only country in Earth that can say they have more teachers than soldiers and police. And the rum ain't bad either.

Natch
I was going to list Costa Rica but I knew folks would think that I am crazier than they already do! Costa Rica is an excellent choice. The fishing is fabulous!

I spent some time with a fellow grad student down there, last name of Bliss, but no relation to "Baron Bliss". Had quite a crush on her, but she married my roommate. Gave a couple of talks at the Bliss Auditorium in Belize Shitty on tourism development and ornithology. It would be a great country if crack hadn't come into it in the early 90s. The most underpopulated country in the Western Hemisphere, the only one that still has over 95% of it's original forest cover left, lot of potential. But all the problems that region suffers.

Natch

LL":6o2pgn6d said:
Natch":6o2pgn6d said:
Aren't you forgetting something? One of Mutha Nacha's more exquisite little horrors... the b-o-t-f-l-y?

I was going to link a youtube clip, but didn't want to be responsible for ruining people's keyboards.
The human botfly is a bit of a concern, but I've lived for years and worked throughout most of the New World tropics and only have one, small scar on my ankle from one that thought I looked like a good place to live. Picked it up trying to slip into Suriname from Guyana. Screw worms, leaches, and other disease biting flies are much more of a concern. And of course, the real "King of the Jungle", ants. I've got several dozen small scars on various parts of my body (and no, you don't want to see the pix of where!) from a coordinated dinner party they had on me one night. They slipped up my pants and I didn't feel a thing, until the commando leader reached my gonads, then he took one huge bite, gave off a pheromone and within a second or two, 20 to 30 of his closest friends all chomped down up and down both legs. I jumped up and tearing off my cloths was doing the hokey-pokey around the fire. Of course, my buddies, who as I, had been enjoying copious amounts of rum (for strictly medicinal purposes, of course) instead of coming to my aid, thought that was just about the funniest thing they ever saw.

An important rule to know in most of the world's tropical rain forests; don't touch anything, don't ever sit down, and don't stand still for more than a few seconds. There are millions of eyes looking at you thinking, "I can eat that", or "I can live in that", or "I can lay eggs in that", or "I can sting that". :affraid:

Natch

Hence the liberal application of Rum... Its pre-medication... Kinda like taking a Nerve Pill before going to a funeral... You know your going to need it...

The outskirts of PG is way better than Livingston.(For me anyway)..
Simply because I understand $2 bel for $1usd... I have no clue about those Quintarnitas or what ever it is they call Guatemala money. :D
Beside the outskirts of Livingston is ocean or jungle... There aint much of an 'outskirts'. Either your there or your not.

There's absolutely nowhere else on Earth that I'd rather live than where I am now. Every other place is good for a visit just as long as the religious extremists stay calm.

My first choice would be New Zealand as in my experience they are some of the most friendly and curtious people in the world that I've been around. Beautiful country and weather. My second choice would be out in the countryside of Thailand.

LL":roklpqe4 said:
Natch":roklpqe4 said:

I just looked.

I think I am gonna go lay down and thank the good Lord for the freezing cold climate I am in right now.

:pale:

I had property in Portugal thinking I would retire there. I've changed my mind and sold it four years ago. Now I have a place in the south of Spain. But that's not my choice. If I could retire today I would go to Brazil. I still have a few years ahead of me and plenty of time to make plans (and change them a few times, if necessary). But that's my choice now: Brazil.

Wet Dottle":dp8wsky4 said:
I had property in Portugal thinking I would retire there. I've changed my mind and sold it four years ago. Now I have a place in the south of Spain. But that's not my choice. If I could retire today I would go to Brazil. I still have a few years ahead of me and plenty of time to make plans (and change them a few times, if necessary). But that's my choice now: Brazil.
Oh, man! With any of those, you're going to be amongst some of the greatest food in the world. That's the one flaw in my plan for the British Isles.

I would likely choose England, though that decision is probably clouded by my religous leanings. I was born in Tennessee, and doubt I'll ever leave.

Of course, the northern most part of Idaho is a favorite area of mine.

I would go back to Ireland in a freakin heart beat.
Canada is nice too.

As an ex-pat American living in Canada for over forty years there are a whole lot of places I would like to visit, the UK being high on the list. But I think i will stay in North America. I want the access to health care which seems to be reserved for the rich in most of those truly cheap places to live, and as much as I complain about the depths of winter come the end of February, I'd probably stay right here in Canada.

Despite the high taxes, and the high prices on alcohol and tobacco those high taxes cause, access to medical care is a right and won't break the bank. Gun ownership is highly restricted, but gun crimes are rare, and most emergency rooms never see a gun shot victim.

In all my time in Canada I have seen cops with weapons drawn a total of four times.
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
Yeah, four count them four. When I was living in Lexington that happened all the time, any alarm at a bank or liquor store, and they approached with guns drawn. Even had one pointed at me by a cop in a traffic stop,
affraid.gif
the car answered the description of one involved in a liquor store robbery. Nothing like looking up from getting your license and ownership out while he walks up to the car to see what appears to be a howitzer pointed at you to hetrodyne the "pucker factor".

Windsor Ontario lost their first cop ever to death by gunshot just a a couple of years ago. Windsor is a heavy industry town (automotive), a port, a major border crossing, and during prohibition a big rum running town. Got killed by a punk drug dealer attempting to avoid arrest when caught dealing at a 7-ll, the cop was off duty.

You can take your choice of what you want, you want European culture, go to Quebec city, or possibly Montreal. Toronto is kind of second cityish, like Chicago, only cleaner and more Canadian. And there is the prairies, and the best of the Rockies, and both the East and West Coasts to choose from, and all of the Canadian culture and the US culture (music, books, television) on tap.

enough of this tourism stuff....win the lottery and I'll have a second home in Kentucky and aanother in some warm spot to escape the worst of winter, but here is a great place to be.