I am tired...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I am tired of people looking for a replacement for 965, nightcap, etc...
I know that its hard trying to replace a friend, but there are some really nice tobacco blends out there.
I am currently smoking Maltese Falcon in a Radice nosewarmer and I could not be happier.
Maybe its the wine, diner, or coffee, but 2009 is almost here and its time to shake thinks up.
Happy New Year,
Bub

I agree 100% Bub... but I've never had the nads to openly say it.

To have so many wonderful blends available and to constantly piss and moan about something gone thats never coming back is borderline insanity.

I'm with you. There's so much out there to choose from.... Besides, the Orlik version of Dunhill tobaccos was so poor anyhow the real stuff basically disappeared when Murray's went under. There's still hope that another blender may pick it up.

I agree about the Falcon too. Pease does such an amazing job with his blends anyhow, but the Falcon is just over the top. I honestly believe that it's the finest English I've ever smoked, period. In fact, the three English/Balkans that completely cover the spectrum for me are Picadilly (for a light-on-the-latakia but full flavored english), Maltese Falcon for a solid smoky satisfying English and Westminister for a heavy latakia Balkan with lots of character. If A guy stocked up on these three he'd never have need to worry about any others.

I agree! FIRST, there are PLENTY of good latakia blends out there and SECOND try blending your own. I have a blast mixing McConnell Blending latakia with various orientals and VAs, etc.

Latest was with 3 parts Exhausted Rooster, one part McC Oriental #8 and one part latakia. The McClelland has some latakia already so it's pretty heavy like Nightcap but the Rooster gives it a nice twist! ;)

Key Largo is fantastic, BTW. Is it Nightcap - NO! It's better!!

Way to go, Greg!! :cheers:

puros_bran":3t54bl3r said:

To have so many wonderful blends available and to constantly piss and moan about something gone thats never coming back is borderline insanity.
I also agree!

They should just switch over to John Middleton Walnut. Been around since the mid 19th Century and still available! :D

Why cry over something that's just a fancy name anyway and ain't really all that good when you can have something consisting of 7 of the world's finest tobaccos that has staying power to boot?! :lol:

puros_bran":570qrnhy said:

howz about.................intermittant pissing and moaning ??
:lol:

I try not to obsess with this but Id like to make an analogy with my favorite game: Golf.
There are many variables to consider in enjoying golf to its fullest; confidence in your equipment is very important and finding the right ball to fit your game is crucial.
Ive been playing at this for over 30 years and still am learning of its subtleties (not unlike pipe smoking).
When I finally find a ball that is right for me only to have it yanked off the shelves in 2-3 years time, I am disheartened to say the least.

Smoking my pipe(s) is a journey I love to take as often as I can and experimenting with different blends and tobaccos is an integral part of that trip but .......I sure enjoy a 'no-brainer" bowl every now and then.
So when I finally hit on a great tobacco, well.....call me selfish but, I would like to be able to count on it to be available for awhile.

I was never much impressed with 965. But I would sure like to see some really good replacements for Standard Mixture Mild, Medium, and Full. Also Nightcap and London Mixture. Attempts seem to miss the nicotine strength and the toasty flavor.

I don't know how they keep missing the strength. Surely the necessary tobaccos are out there somewhere. Key Largo has come as close to the necessary strength as any I have tried. The toasted flavor is going to be harder.

It's like explaining to people what 'toasted', actually means. Me not knowing how tobacco is actually toasted. More importantly, how Murray was toasting that which was used in the Dunhill blends, only complicates this further. When I worked downtown at our main building there was a cafeteria that provided fresh cooked breakfast and lunches. I got into the habit of stopping in for a toasted bagel and bacon for breakfast. But of course I had to train the personnel in the proper toasting of a bagel. They had this machine that they stuffed a split bagel in at the top and a minute later it spit it out below. Quite unimpressive in it's lack of toasting. Oh it was warmed and a bit dryer. But it was by no means toasted. We settled on always running my toasted bagel though the machine twice to get that wondrous, golden-brown, toasted appearance and texture. Yes, texture. Toasting changes both the appearance and texture. So the flavor is different. The experience is different. I can only assume that some component of the Dunhill blends was similarly toasted to perfection, and everyone else keeps missing the importance of proper toasting.

I revisited Solanis Aged Burley Flake last week,a fantastic Burley with no casing that apparently achieves its excellence from toasting.Rudger Will,the dark lord of
German blending commented that he was about to give up on this blend until he hit
upon the optimum toasting time and temp. :)

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":gcqdtzl1 said:
I revisited Solanis Aged Burley Flake last week,a fantastic Burley with no casing that apparently achieves its excellence from toasting.Rudger Will,the dark lord of
German blending commented that he was about to give up on this blend until he hit
upon the optimum toasting time and temp. :)

Winslow :sunny:
According to the distributor of Solani, Rudger Will also said that the Aged Burley Flake also goes through a process where it is treated with a sugar water formula as most burleys are. I understand they press it in that form with the sugar water to age for some period of time. That's one I haven't tried that I really need too.

Justpipes":kbgi9j2q said:
puros_bran":kbgi9j2q said:

I also agree!

They should just switch over to John Middleton Walnut. Been around since the mid 19th Century and still available! :D

Why cry over something that's just a fancy name anyway and ain't really all that good when you can have something consisting of 7 of the world's finest tobaccos that has staying power to boot?! :lol:
:lol: This guy kills me!! :lol:

(Actually I ordered two tubs of Walnut yesterday, so we'll see).

rick":83j9opgc said:
puros_bran":83j9opgc said:

howz about.................intermittant pissing and moaning ??
:lol:

I try not to obsess with this but Id like to make an analogy with my favorite game: Golf.
There are many variables to consider in enjoying golf to its fullest; confidence in your equipment is very important and finding the right ball to fit your game is crucial.
Ive been playing at this for over 30 years and still am learning of its subtleties (not unlike pipe smoking).
When I finally find a ball that is right for me only to have it yanked off the shelves in 2-3 years time, I am disheartened to say the least.

Smoking my pipe(s) is a journey I love to take as often as I can and experimenting with different blends and tobaccos is an integral part of that trip but .......I sure enjoy a 'no-brainer" bowl every now and then.
So when I finally hit on a great tobacco, well.....call me selfish but, I would like to be able to count on it to be available for awhile.
Good luck.....I mean, finding your balls!

Bent Stem":530olzt4 said:
Justpipes":530olzt4 said:
puros_bran":530olzt4 said:

I also agree!

:lol: This guy kills me!! :lol:

(Actually I ordered two tubs of Walnut yesterday, so we'll see).
Just the facts! :D :sunny:

I guess I'm lucky to have a few years of the Murrays Dunhill blends put away in my cellar. I'll have to reserve my whining until then.

Bent Stem":ddik5lo8 said:
I guess I'm lucky to have a few years of the Murrays Dunhill blends put away in my cellar. I'll have to reserve my whining until then.
No worry! Once those two tubs of Walnut arrive that you said you ordered, you won't have any reason to whine. :D :lol:

Bub":zrmfpz0x said:
I am tired of people looking for a replacement for 965, nightcap, etc...
Yes, there are many great blends out there. But why does it bother you? If that's what people like, more power to them. I certainly would help their quest if I could.

It doesn't really bother me.
When I started this I was enjoying the Maltese Falcon and thought that it was a shame if people kept looking for the next Nightcap/965 and didn't try other blends.
I like Nightcap but, at that moment, I REALLY liked Maltese Falcon.
Bub

Bub":e5dktbib said:
When I started this I was enjoying the Maltese Falcon and thought that it was a shame if people kept looking for the next Nightcap/965 and didn't try other blends.
I like Nightcap but, at that moment, I REALLY liked Maltese Falcon.
Bub
I see what you mean. I feel the same about Westminster and a few others. And I agree that there are so many other blends better than the Dunhills. But to each his own. The thing is, I've been looking for a replacement to Renaissance for a long time, therefore I feel the frustration of those folks looking for their own extinct Arcadias.

Truth be told, the key to my personal enjoyment of tobacco is in the variety of different blends to be had. But I'm still waiting for more Renaissance.

So you can't get Dunhill anymore? I thought I just saw bulk nightcap at pipesandcigars.... I guess it's their "copy" of it?

I also saw a bunch of Dunhill tins in the baccy store I got my Stanwell in last week. Guess I should've bought em all. :scratch:

I was actually talking to my boss today and heard that dunhill sold their recipes to a company called century. She heard about this from her distributor... so I guess we'll see right?