I am upset with my blonde Mr. Brog pearwood poker

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was smoking my Mr. Brog pearwood poker while watching football yesterday, and as I was breaking it in, I got excited about the game and didn't realize I was puffing hard on the pipe. All of a sudden my thumb felt like it was burning. I put my pipe down and realized that there was a big hot spot on the outside of the bowl! When I took out the tobacco and looked in the bowl I noticed a big burn area. Boy was I upset. I guess now is as good a time as any to try to use the pipe mud method and try to fix it. I just hope I didn't ruin the pipe.

Corncobcon

I did NOT want to burst your bubble so now you can see for yourself. Two Father's Days back my daughter purchased me a Mr Brog Pear wood poker pipe. Only difference was mine was sandblasted and stained black. Looked and smoked okay but I noticed from the beginning a slight odor of wood burning. Now I know how to break in a pipe slow, especially a softer wood like Pear wood. Only break in a pipe with Carter Hall, something I've always done with great success!! However, after less then 30 smokes the right side wall burned thru. I emailed photos directly to Mr SO called Brog and NO response. I followed with FOUR other emails, not one was answered. Personally, I'd never purchase another Brog piece of crap, not even for $5.00 new! They look nice but there is a good chance it will burn thru the walls.
Was yours purchased on eBay directly from Mr Brog? Can't blame it on the seller...only on Mr Brog himself....if he really exists. I did post my experience with my Mr Brog pipe roughly a year ago.
PS, if you want to protect your other Brog put a tin layer of pipe mud on the inside of the chamber. This protects the wall and helps with the proper build up of a thin layer of cake both safer and faster. Just from my personal experience. I make my own pipe mud with a good cigar ash and a little water. Don't make it to watery... GOOD LUCK.

MR BROG PIPES DON'T PUFF....THEY SUCK!!!

Lonecoyote said:
PS, if you want to protect your other Brog put a tin layer of pipe mud on the inside of the chamber. This protects the wall and helps with the proper build up of a thin layer of cake both safer and faster. Just from my personal experience. I make my own pipe mud with a good cigar ash and a little water. Don't make it to watery... GOOD LUCK.  

Hey, good idea. I always keep a jar of cigar ash to use for weathering my model trains and buildings on the layout. I have plenty and will give it a try.

That cigar ash pipe mud never failed me yet. Even on Cobs. Just break in your other Brog slow. Don't get to hot until you build up a thin wall of cake.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Sorry to see this. Definitely coat the area with pipe mud and try again. Don't be too upset they are an absolute beast to break in without burning. It can be done but its hard. You should have better luck on the second one now that you know.

I've been meaning to take mine out and smoke it but its too darned windy out here this time if year.

Keep us posted on how the repair holds up for you. Don't get discouraged if you have to do the patch more than once to get it to stick

Jim

I've heard of that happening with all kinds of materials, other than clay or meer. Sometimes there are softer spots in the materials. I've got a briar poker that did the same thing, same spot. Don't let it get you too down. The other one probably won't burn out. I have a few Missouri pear wood pipes that built a nice layer of carbon and darkening evenly just fine...

Mud it up and smoke the hell out of it!

I mixed up some cigar ash into pipe mud and started applying it to the pipes. So far so good. I'll let them dry for a couple of days and recheck them. Maybe add some more mud if I think it's necessary.

Any reputable pipe maker will replace a pipe that starts to burn out the first time it is smoked.

I worry about Mt. Brog's eBay postings. Seems like most all his pipes are described as 'outstanding.' If they're all outstanding, how do you know which ones are really 'outstanding.' I never bid on pipes made by someone who lauds himself so consistently.

Rob D.

Pear wood, by definition pretty soft wood compared to briar. Stick with the briars. There are good reasons why the wood has been proven over the past 200 years as the superior material for pipes. I have got briar pipes in my rack that date back to the 1930's and still smoke great.