I Can Hardly Believe It

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I used to use a Zippo Pipe Lighter but was so often frustrated because I had to refuel it every day and a half to two days. I got my hands on a Nimrod Commander and have very satisfied with it because I could consistently go four days before having to refuel it. On a whim last week I added another ball of cotton to the fuel tank and today I'm on the 6th day without having to refuel. Nothing like a little success to make a man happy. :)

AJ

Four days without a refill? Hmmm, I haven't purchased a lighter in a while..............

Very cool!

My Old Boy will go a long time. Over a week. But to be fair, I still start with a match. They do need to be cleaned good occasionally. Which is what my Zippo's need. A good scrubbing down.

Nimrod Commander's are great lighters. I have one sitting somewhere but seldom use it. My Old Boy is the go to lighter when at home and on the road the IMCO is my choice. Time to dig into my relics and pull out the old Commander maybe.

docwatson":g2lcsh01 said:
Nimrod Commander's are great lighters. I have one sitting somewhere but seldom use it. My Old Boy is the go to lighter when at home and on the road the IMCO is my choice. Time to dig into my relics and pull out the old Commander maybe.
I have an Old Boy too but I have the same problem with it as I do the Zippo. I have to refuel it every other day. That's a shame too because except for that it's a fine lighter and I enjoyed using it. I have two Commanders so I shouldn't ever have to buy another lighter unless I see a gas lighter that uses flint for ignition and has the fuel capacity to last 4 or more days. However I don't know if anything will ever totally replace my Commander. There's quality in that lighter that you can hardly find in any other one made today. :)

AJ

Very nice. I've given a lot of thought to picking up a "good" lighter, but as long as my Jetline soft flame lighter keeps on keepin' on I'll probably stay the course (I get about 4 days out of it, in addition to the matches).

Still...there just something soooooo nice about those Old Boys.

I think I'm going to take the plunge (really not much of one at all) and buy a zippo. I could really use it on those windy days.

Old Nate":ts8sbust said:
I think I'm going to take the plunge (really not much of one at all) and buy a zippo. I could really use it on those windy days.
Zippo makes a fine dependable lighter. My only gripe is the fuel capacity or that so much fuel is lost to evaporation. :)

AJ

My Dunhill Rollalite fue lighter will go a eek to 9 days and has since i got it in Hong Kong back in '70. They still make the same style but it's gas filled these days. :twisted: :twisted:

Old Nate":9x8hn9pg said:
I pulled the trigger recently on a Zippo, Nate. Very Happy. Should have done it years ago.

Nimrod looks a beauty AJ, and not too dissimilar to the Zippo?

Stick the two lighters are similar but there are some important differences too. First of all the Conquest feels heavier. I know this doesn't necessarily translate into better quality but the extra weight makes it "feel" like it is made from better quality metal. The most important difference is that the Conquest has a lip that folds over the lower case which helps impede evaporation. I'm pretty sure this feature is the reason I get so much time before needing to refuel than with the Zippo. Please don't miss understand, I like a Zippo. They are great dependable lighters and they have a lifetime warranty. For the cost that's really hard to beat. If Zippo ever does something to impede the evaporation of the fuel, like the Conquest lighter, I will be first in line to get one. :)

AJ