I Cancelled Our Cable TV Service Today!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I had enough of that cable TV that serves no purpose.

Too expensive, nothing interesting to watch anyway - and, that's when I have time to watch it-; it's all crappy channels.

Damn, I feel good about doing this: it's more money for bakkie every month!  :cheers:

But, but, but... How are you going to watch UK and Duke in the championship???

We dropped cable about 6-7 years ago.

After a couple of months, we stopped caring.

I hear ya, Wolf. It does bring nothing. It will be harder for my wife than for me, though.

I wish I could do this but, we live in an area that if ya don't have cable ya don't have internet or TV.
I hate pay TV companies of any sort to be truthful, specially ones that can't and won't do the up grades and proper repairs to keep it running smoothly. But, as I said, for now I'm between a rock and a hard spot.
Old men need there TV and internet. ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YAlDbP4tdqc" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Interesting. Seems to be going around lately. My wife was recently forced to take a Reduction in Workforce agreement after 16 years at her job. The first cut we made was cable TV. There truly is nothing much ever on to watch, unless you like reruns of COPS and infomercials.

That's right. I'm much more of a reader to start with. My wife likes to watch the news but then she monitors on the internet - which I do as well.

As for teleseries and all that stuff, I just don't watch them, and neither does my wife. We have a decent collection of DVDs and Blue Ray movies, and that's what we like to watch.

We prefer to go play outside instead when we have free time. So cable TV is not really required; so why pay for it?

I have never owned a TV. Yes, I watched it as a child, and I watch sports or whatever when at other people's homes, and my girlfriend has one, but I have no interest because I can see too much of my time going down the hole for nothing--and anyhow, it's "chewing gum for the eyes," as Frank Lloyd Wright called it. There are rare exceptions, like the Civil War series on PBS or the early Twilight Zone episodes, but those are easily obtained elsewhere. And today's fiction writers wouldn't know drama from an onion sandwich. I guess you have to like the ads or something.

As @Cartiphilus says old men need their TVs. What I don''t need is satellite TV. Cable is not an option to to living in the sticks. For 6 years now, I have relied on Hulu, NetFlix and Amazon Prime. They cost me about $25.00 total per month.

DGErwin11":zib6388e said:
As @Cartiphilus says old men need their TVs. What I don''t need is satellite TV. Cable is not an option to to living in the sticks. For 6 years now, I have relied on Hulu, NetFlix and Amazon Prime. They cost me about $25.00 total per month.
Yup, we have netflix and hulu as well and quite happy with them as well.
Only problem Ive had with hulu is that when looking at my bank statement, I see where they have double dipped and charge us twice in one month (appears to have happened more than once). Still trying to get that sorted out with their CS.

We did pretty much the same thing about six months ago. We dropped our cable subscription, but kept local channels ($12/ month), which enables us to also get HBO and HBO Go. Though, now that HBO Now is in the picture I can probably kill off all TV altogether. We also get by with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. There hasn't been a single thing that anyone in the house wanted to watch that we did not have access to.

I dumped cable about 2 years ago. I can waste my time just fine with free over the air tv. Here in Dallas I can get at least 30 good channels. More like 70 if I throw in foreign language, shopping, and church channels. There are so many digital oldies channels with stuff I watched as a kid.

I just laugh when one of the networks has a feud with one of the cable providers and there are adds on the radio about calling your cable company and demand they keep CBS or FOX or whichever. Spend 20 bucks on a decent pair of rabbit ears and forget it.

Cancelled home internet a year ago. Free internet at the Tobacco shop where membership was less than my internet bill.

My wife and I were always on the fence about it (cutting the cord) and then we had our son (two years old last week). After that we didn't have the time to watch anything. The apps built into our TVs were buggy so we purchased a couple Roku's, installed a roof antenna, signed up for Netflix, signed up for Hulu and we already had Amazon Prime. We dumped Hulu because it still had the commercials.

No regrets!

stapf":8ytba3qd said:
I dumped cable about 2 years ago.  I can waste my time just fine with free over the air tv.  Here in Dallas I can get at least 30 good channels.  More like 70 if I throw in foreign language, shopping, and church channels.  There are so many digital oldies channels with stuff I watched as a kid.

I just laugh when one of the networks has a feud with one of the cable providers and there are adds on the radio about calling your cable company and demand they keep CBS or FOX or whichever.  Spend 20 bucks on a decent pair of rabbit ears and forget it.

Cancelled home internet a year ago.  Free internet at the Tobacco shop where membership was less than my internet bill.
I do as stapf does, no hook-up with anything as I live in the DFW metroplex also. Had cable when it first came out in the early '80s but not since about '87. Just don't need all that "choice" and my internet is part of my phone service. Life is just fine without being "hooked up" !! :twisted: :twisted:

How is everyone doing with this? That is, if you stopped your cable service. Have you just subscribed to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc instead? I see Youtube TV, which seems to be a big player in this game for the younger crowd just raised their rates to $65/month. That's just one service. At that kind of rate, you might as well just keep cable TV. I can see paying $15 for Hulu and Netflix as a bundle of stations/programs, but $65? I still think HBO and the like are nuts at $15 just for their single channel, or set of HBO channels. These kind of high rates only feed into the likes of Xfinity having a tighter monopoly.

We are stuck with Dish. Direct TV is an option. Anything else really needs a better Internet speed than what we can get. No cable. Although there was a limited 5 or so channel cable service years ago. Town is too small for cable.

Internet is DSL and wireless systems. Nothing really fast though. I just checked and our DSL is a very stable 3 mbps today. The wireless systems will throttle the users. Supposedly getting faster.

I dropped cable when I moved to Arid-zona 2 years ago. I seldom watched it back in WA state except for local news and weather and once in a while the Discovery Channel. The cost was very nominal for the basic package which I must have had for all 28 years I lived there. It's was less than $20/mo initially and only raised to the low $20's when I moved. I was grandfathered in since they did away with that package at some point. Despite it being the bare bones basic package it still had way more channels than I was interested in. Why they don't let you pick your channels is stupid.

So I got one of those cheap digital antennas when I moved here and get all the major stations plus a bunch more for free. Still only watch local news and weather and that's not even every day. I've got plenty of DVD's in my library and get more from the library. No Netflix or any of that other fancy stuff. Old school.

Cheers,

RR