I Confused The T-Mobile Rep, Wherever He Was

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I have Century Link fiber optic internet service, $40 month for life, usually 40 to 50 mps download. T-Mobile, in the past, sent me an invitation for its internet service, $50 for 111 mps download. I really don't need anything more than 40 mps. I understand that T-Mobil has raised its price to $60 month. I asked the customer service representative what the difference would be tethering from a 5G phone to create a hot spot, versus subscribing to T-Mobile internet other than the insignificant speed difference of 11 mps download, keeping in mind that T-Mobile doesn't count audio or video streaming as part of your data allocation (allegedly unlimited.) He kept repeating the same boilerplate, "Our internet is on a separate tower." And, of course, I replied that my only question was whether there was any consumer benefit to subscribing to T-Mobille internet versus 5G tethering from a cellphone. I could not get him to deviate from the boilerplate. In the country where he's in the call center, I'm sure there is no T-Mobile and/or he's very limited in how he may respond.
On a different note, I was surprised to see that in 2022 some computer manufacturers are rolling out laptops that are 5G and on the 5G phone towers. If you're unlimited the only reason, I guess, not to just HDMI cable from computer to TV is the picture would likely be SD, 480P.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I stopped in at the T-Mobile store near my house. I asked about the availability of T-Mobile internet at my house. The CS rep went to his terminal, click--click--click and said he could have T-Mobile internet operational at my house within the hour. I related what I'd been told by phone. He just shook his head and said there is an incredible amount of misinformation that gets spread by the overseas CS representatives. I also asked about just tethering from my phone. He said that at some point there would be a determination that I was using too much data and my speed would be throttled and video would not be HD.