I Don't Get It

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
I don't understand this; are they suggesting that this is something revolutionary, something that required "passionate research"?

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/aurora-optima-fountain-pen-orange-flex-limited-edition?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJjaGVyb2tlZWpld0Bob3RtYWlsLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIk1jSjc4eiJ9&utm_medium=email&variant=12850577113131&utm_source=Communique+-+One+Per+Week&utm_campaign=Goulet+Newsletter+-+7%2F11%2F18+%28MSCqUV%29

This orange Optima Flex features the new Flex Nib introduced by Aurora. It is the result of a passionate research to enhance the pleasure of leaving a mark. The Aurora Flex Nib allows everyone to vary the stroke size with extraordinary simplicity by applying a different pressure when writing. The nib, made of 14kt white gold, is a real “must have” for any calligraphy lover and collector. The Optima features a smooth piston-filling mechanism and a clear ink window. Only 330 are available worldwide.

Flexible for a modern fountain pen. If you look at it closely you can see the tines are very long and springy. That level of flex is usually seen in steel dip pens. One of the videos kinda explains it.

Maybe they finally got a "wet noodle" readily available. As said before, it is usually a dip pen or a nibmeister project.

Not for the casual user and everyday writing! Odds are the nib would get messed up. For those with Spencerian skills however...

Richard...they are simply hyping a “latest and greatest” design from a maker they represent.

Flex is a big thing now. A number of companies make flex nibs for their pens...Noodlers, Pilot, etc., etc., etc. But the new ones are not equal to the pens of the 30’s and 40’s in terms of flex. So maker A claims this...Maker B claims that...it’s advertising.

I read it as an assertion that the pens of the '30s and '40s never existed, and that they had discovered something revolutionary; namely, that a flexible nib will give varying line width. Whatever. I rarely have flare-ups after reading ad copy, no matter how "passionately researched" or even "lethargically researched," and this one has subsided for now. Must be the heat.

Yeah...so, I went back and actually READ the ad copy. The Goulet folks (primarily Brian I assume) usually do a decent job when promoting things. This must be copy from the maker - who is trying to sell $600 pens. Yeah...it’s crap all right. It’s like trying to sell the ball point pen, or the roller ball, or gel ink...etc. as revolutionary.

It’s amazing...a wonderment...a revolution in writing! Graphite molded into thin cylindrical form and encased in wood. It makes easily readable marks on that other new invention...paper! Yes...never again will you have to shlep around those cumbersome clay tablets because NOW there is the PENCIL!,

It's just like the hype you find on just about every tobacco tin today " ... balanced blending of sweet varieties of leaf with the cool aspect of many others" and on & on. Same thing just different items! Gotta convince 'em to buy ! :twisted: :twisted: