I don't know when to stop

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
A few years ago, when I had about 20# of tobacco to my name, I set the goal of having and maintaining a 40# cellar.

Earlier this summer, I hit that number and am now around 42.5#. So I feel like I'm pretty well set, as long as I essentially replace the weight of what I smoke with new stock for next 10 years or so.

But as I look through my stock, it's pretty heavy on Latakia. When I started cellaring, I was very into English/Balkan blends, but I'm mostly turning to VAs, VaPers, or Burleys. I still like the latweed, I just don't turn to it nearly as frequently as I used to - and those blends comprise about a quarter of the cellar.

So while 40 felt like a good stopping point, I still feel like it's out of balance - plus, the aging properties of Virginia and the uncertain future of the tobacco market make me feel like I should keep pressing onward. Or maybe trade some of the Latakia blends for varieties more likely to find their ways into my rotation.

I dunno...not really looking for answers, I guess. Just thought typing this out might help me organize my thoughts (as it turns out, I was wrong :D )

Congrats on achieving your milestones Ian!

So you say you're out of balance... how do you see yourself re-establishing that equilibrium? What's on your hit list?

Stick":39st8jpx said:

So you say you're out of balance... how do you see yourself re-establishing that equilibrium?  What's on your hit list?
I suppose my first thought is to just keep adding to the cellar. If I can get up to 50#, adding only Va/VaPer/Burley between now and then, I should be close....mostly concentrating on a handful of specific blend that I want to always have on hand.

I could trade away some of the latakia for VA...but with my luck, as soon as I do that my tastes will swing back to Latakia.

Of course, maybe the answer is just accepting that what I've called "cellaring with a purpose" is really just a thinly disguised justification for uncontrolled TAD and just get comfortable hoarding tobacco for the rest of my natural life.

Nonsense.. You got to 20 and wanted 40...follow your own logic and have 40 and want 80.
Use the same theory a lot of gun owners are using. Stock up before she outlaws it.

idbowman":biturjxx said:
Stick":biturjxx said:

So you say you're out of balance... how do you see yourself re-establishing that equilibrium?  What's on your hit list?
I suppose my first thought is to just keep adding to the cellar.  If I can get up to 50#, adding only Va/VaPer/Burley between now and then, I should be close....mostly concentrating on a handful of specific blend that I want to always have on hand.

I could trade away some of the latakia for VA...but with my luck, as soon as I do that my tastes will swing back to Latakia.

Of course, maybe the answer is just accepting that what I've called "cellaring with a purpose" is really just a thinly disguised justification for uncontrolled TAD and just get comfortable hoarding tobacco for the rest of my natural life.
Mm, I wouldn't be thinning out your hard won cellar to restore balance - that strikes me as being counter productive!

Yep, only thing for it is to embrace the fact you have indeed got a bad dose of TAD. I reckon once you've accepted this life will become easier for you!

Hey, cellar as much as you want sir, it won't go bad if ya keep it cool and in a dark place.
And when they outlaw it we'll all know where to go to bum a pipe load or two. ;)
But, truthfully, I put no restraints on my cellar size. What ever it becomes it becomes.
If I change my mind and don't like some blends anymore I'll sell or give some away.
It's all good, so if you'll excuse me I have to start tossing some furniture out to make room
for my TAD order coming Thursday.

What Cart said, Ian. I'm not quite at 40lbs but I see no reason to restrain myself. Add as you please...

How much of that cellar is Telegraph Hill?

Old Nate":mvcbyo5c said:
What Cart said, Ian. I'm not quite at 40lbs but I see no reason to restrain myself. Add as you please...

How much of that cellar is Telegraph Hill?
At the moment, not as much as I'd like it to be. TH, Fillmore, and Embarcadero are only sitting at around 1# a piece. Not nearly enough. I also only have about 1# of a custom blend I put together using blending tobaccos, and that's not enough either.

As I replace what I smoke (or just keep growing the cellar), the lion's share of the addition to the cellar will be these four blends.

I hear that... I only have half a pound of TH, a little more than 1 pound of Fillmore, and almost a pound of Kajun Kake... Even more depressing I currently only have Fillmore open.