I dried it, I tried it, I liked it!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been one of those guys who was a little afraid to let my tabacco dry. I guess this stems from bad expeiences with cigars that have dried out too much.

I have been smoking Boswell's Best and have had the horrible gurgle and gunk at the bottom of my bowl. The taste was OK, but I hated the gurgle. Well, I dried out the tabacco by letting it sit out all day. Then I tried a bowl. Wow! It made a world of difference!!! The taste was fuller and I did not have the gunk at the bottom of the bowl.

I have read a lot on the forums about letting the tabacco dry out a bit, but I thought it was more of a personal taste thing. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Dean

So much for the nonsense that the gurgling is caused by saliva drooling down the stem.

I like my tobacco relatively dry compared to most smokers, or at least that is what I have thought. Drier tobacco is a much more rewarding experience IMHO.

I will try aromatic tobaccos right out of the tin, to see what they are like. But then I just let them sit until they are stiff but not crispy. Almost always, I like the dried out version better. What you lose in aromatic agents, you also lose in steamy gurgle, so it's really not that big a loss.

All other tobaccos, and especially virginias, I find just smoke and taste way better once they've had some air.

One of the reasons I think so many people have trouble smoking Mac Baren tobaccos is that the way they are presented, in coin, flake, or broken flake form, tends to feel drier than it is. If I pull out coins of dark twist, they feel really dry, but if I rub them out, they feel wet to my fingers all of a sudden. Dry it out, and no more tongue bite (no more steam).

Congrats! My cigar experience re-enforced my desire to see what drying pipe tobacco did. I'm a dry-boxer with cigars and usually store on the low side of 65% anyway. Cigars that don't like that RH I don't buy by the box like Cammies, etc.

I hate humectant(sp?) because it's so hard to dry enough and the pipe gurgles up a storm.