I found and alternative to a BaccyFlap!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both of those links are great. I like the idea of owning a wood version. I guess those from ForestRiver don't screw together, but with a little bit of wax I am sure the seal would be good enough for a day's worth of tobacco.

Thanks for sharing.

Look good & the price is right, any feedback on how well they seal & stay together ?

Hawker":r5dfymv2 said:
Look good & the price is right, any feedback on how well they seal & stay together ?
I just sent the artist a question asking him how well they seal and maintain their seal with every day usage. I'll report back.

I contacted the artist Adam Olsen and here is his response to the question of how well they seal and maintain their seal. At 30.00, I think they'd be worth a shot, and wax can be used to tighten the seal.

Hey Chris, thanks for the interest. Let me first say that these are more of an "inspired by" baccyflap than a copy as hand threading in wood is a skill that I have yet to master and quite likely never will. I can tell you that when I finish them the seal is quite tight, I rely on that fit to finish "carving" the outside of the top on the lathe, it can survive a "shake test" gripping one side or the other, and I did some drop tests on my prototype which didn't open on about 4 of 5 drops (but I wouldn't suggest dropping them). As far as longevity I have only recently begun making these, but I have other lidded boxes from several years ago with the same press fit that work as they did the day I turned them.

All that said there is a mysterious force I like to call the "will of the wood" which boils down to it being a beautiful, dynamic creature that can become finicky with drastic changes in humidity, temperature, etc. However, if it ever ceases to be useful as a tobacco pouch it makes a great ring case for the significant other.

Hope that helps,

Adam

P.S. Forgot about the wax part, yes it does wonders in tightening up the seal if it gets loose.

As the guy who received the prototype version of Adam's replicas, I can attest that they seal very well and the tobacco inside retains normal moisture for at least 12 hours (haven't tried leaving anything in there longer than that). They hold about two bowls of tobacco and are just small enough to fit into the smallest of jacket pockets.

FYI about BaccyFlaps: The two versions that were made differ as follows: The older, original version was marked Wunup and was made from a very heavy-duty bakelite......A later version was made and marked Parker...it was made of modern, lighter weight plastic.....I have an example of both....the Bakelite version seems to be much sturdier; the Parker-version seems like it would break / crack more easily.

Zombie, thanks for the tip. Just ordered the flat black walnut one from Forest River.

NeroWolfe":095pfh6j said:
FYI about BaccyFlaps:  The two versions that were made differ as follows:  The older,  original version was marked Wunup and was made from a very heavy-duty bakelite......A later version was made and marked Parker...it was made of modern, lighter weight plastic.....I have an example of both....the Bakelite version seems to be much sturdier; the Parker-version seems like it would break / crack more easily.
I just found the Parker version at a local antique store and bought it for $13 (a decent price I assume, it is in very good condition). I had only seen the Wunup before in pictures but this looks great. Outstanding nomenclature and the material is an attractive swirling of color. I can't address the Wunup but it does seem if you were reckless with this one it wouldn't be difficult to crack it. On the flip side of it's fragility, it does seem to close and hold closed well.