I got a little creative...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
So, today didn't go as planned.  

My daughter isn't well today, nothing serious, but nonetheless enough for her to be at home so I had to make the phone call to work who were very understanding and supportive.  

After doing several chores around the house I sat in the garden with a pipe and sailing book and found my mind drifting to my other things.  

At the beginning of my piping journey I traded a bundle of baccy for a couple of pipes from Kirk, aka Briar Spirit.  I hadn't seen the pipes but when they arrived it was clear they were made up to Kirk's high standard.  As you'd come to expect from Kirk, they're both great smokers but one of them always felt a little 'off piste' for my tastes.  I'm more a traditional chap so found myself smoking it less and less.  So, as I was at home I decided to apply a few hours to a redesign!

Here's the before:

Using coarse sand piper and a narrow sanding block I set to work and got the shape I was after.  The feel in the hand is really important to me and I love a rusticated finish so, clamping my hand drill between my knees, I set about it with a 4mm wood drill bit.  Next came the colouring but a rummage in the garage for wood stain drew a blank.  Not to be deterred and determined to get the job done I resorted to my trusty shoe polish collection, applying liberal amounts of dark brown with a tooth brush.  All it needs now is a good polish with some wax which will have to wait for now.

I had deliberated over the ethics of reworking an artisan's pipe but I figured Kirk wouldn't mind if he knew I'd be smoking it more.  So here it is.  The lines aren't perfect and it's revealed an imperfection in the briar where the stummel meets the bowl. The shoe polish hasn't coloured evenly either but for 2 hours work I'm quite pleased. With a tip of my cap to Kirk...

That looks great sir! And your texture reminds me of a sandblasted look, rather difficult to match without a spray booth. Well done! :cheers:

Very nice work there Stick, as Oz said, looks sandblasted not rusticated which to me looks very grand and provides the all important hand feel.

Cheers

Tim

Looks good Stick.  I don't think brother Kirk would mind your embellishment/change...I think it looks smashing!
And as he would say...enjoy it in rude good health.
Walt

A beautiful summer's evening in the 'shire with the swifts screeching in little marauding bands, testing out their flying limits. It's warm and slightly humid and the golden hour is revealing some stunning textures. The pipe feels good in the hand, has a wide draw and is making the best of a bowl of RDF. Yup, after spending a long time like a sub sat on the bench waiting for it's moment, this pipe has made its debut and is set to be a favourite choice. Happy.