I got a new Tinsky pipe kit...#2.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So I've ordered a second kit from Mark. This one was conceived by me and prepared by Mark to be an oversized Prince. And that's the way it started.

However...

...I've been looking at all the Halloween designs made by Stephen Downie...

...and I don't think this pipe is in Kansas anymore! It's not toally sure where it's going at this point. But OZ really wouldn't be far off. Maybe more like - "The Black Lagoon"! Definetely doing to be a creature pipe. Pretty sure there'll be tentacles.

Help me Obi Wan!!!

It's only a short amount of time till All Hallowmas, yet enough time to create some ghoulish pipes. How about a little contest? I think I'll call mine the "Devil's Churchwarden." Now all I have to do is find it in this chunk of wood. I hope the prize isn't pumpkin or candy corn flavored tobacco. I suppose if we actually did this, we could all put up a tin as our entry, and the winner would receive a true trick or treat. Nocturne or Autumn Evening?

So...what kind of handicap do I get...being a total novice and all? :(

Really...just kidding. I think a 'contest' would be fun. But I'll be lucky if I finish what I want to do by Thanksgiving! (hedge...hedge)

Also...I like contests where everyone wins! How 'bout if everyone that enters is required to send a 'prize of their chouce to all other members that enter?

I don't have the woodworking aptitude to compete, but I'll be eagerly following the development of the contest. Seems like a very cool idea.

I'm not wanting to throw a bucket of cold water on this pair of old dogs...but my end of this is not turning out at all. There are always points at which I have the usually normal ability to stand back about a yard and take a cold, sober look. I did that yesterday and my intended ubbercool Downie-like Halloween pipe looked an awfull lot like more like Looney Toons. I could still complete in the intended design...but it would look stupid I think.

So I have a major decision to make. A) to finish the pipe as intended and end up with a stupid design on a sweet piece of briar, or B) to re-tool and re-engineer said sweet briar into the originally intended pattern...or as close to it as possible...ending up with an item I'd be proud to use. Hmmmmm.

Given my normal penchant for stupidity, not an easy choice.

...there has to be a way to make it look freakish and weird without it looking cartoonish...

Well, this old dog cheated. I cut my stummel out of black cherry, and likely that's the smartest thing I've done so far. I did draw the design in three dimensions, but rather than the Looney Toons effect, I kind of have this Calvin & Hobbes thing going on. BH, I somehow feel that you are at a distinct disadvantage here, as you are bravely working with a chunk of Tinsky quality briar. Tell you what, we were the only ones in this pageant, so maybe we should declare ourselves winners, and distribute the prizes. I bet lots of other folks would have joined in if they knew it would be this easy.

EXCELLENT!!! We Win!!!

I do have prizes made, in the making and sitting aside waiting. So that's all set. The second in the series is yet to come to fruition...and will take a little time...but as I want to send everything in one shipment my end won't be on the way for at least a week, maybe two (still waiting for a few supplies.

My Tinsky quality briar has already undergone the predicted conversion from Looney Toons to something not quite too bizarre, but certainly off the beaten path. It still has the large flat bottomed base upon which, in which (whatever) sits the far more normal form. The base is a 'wave form' - and I DO mean wave - like that created by a large scow plowing through the water...or like a snail...rounded at the front and extending far back, thinning to a point which is off to one side. The top has changed from the originally intended Prince shape to something that I can only call a Freehand as I can't find a similar shape anywhere. It will have a Plateaux top. The front is rounded with the midbowl being the most forward, then swept back at the rim. The rear, where the stem enters (more on that in a bit) comes to a point at the rim and is 'sweptback'. The shank will be rounded and straight into the bowl...and capped in copper. I am trying to make the stem, a beautiful dark tortoise, with a 1/2" wide copper 'ring' that will be flush with the copper capped shank when together...if anyof that makes sense. The copper pieces origins I won't divulge until the pipe is done and i post photos...as they may not work out. But I think it will all come togther to be a pipe that has a forward thrusting feel, sitting on the wave form...like a boat on water. I think, if the bowl shape has no allegory in the real world, that I'll christen it a "Skow" shape! lol

Wish me luck...given my normal speed and work schedule it should be done in 3 - 4 weeks.

Say Dennis...any scraps of that Black Cherry hanging around?

Blackhorse":jteusp4s said:
EXCELLENT!!! We Win!!!

...any scraps of that Black Cherry hanging around?
It's rather funny the way you put that, because two limbs from the ice storm (four years ago, widow makers we call them) are still hanging, and really quite ready for use. I use the elbows for pipes, and they really have a good scent when you are working the wood, and a good taste when you smoke them. Do you want them drilled, or just some good stummel shapes? It's been suggested that they resist the strains of smoking if you leave the bark on. I work it down until the surface is very mottled, giving a very rustic appearance. Someone likes them, because they go out the door as quickly as I make them. I can throw some chunks of that in, along with the other part of the prize.
By the way, stay close to your mail. I think something structurally sound may arrive today. As for the rest of the winnings, shall we say ship the second week of October?

It's great to be a winner!