I had a good day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I cleaned the drain on our washer, as directed by various videos, and everything is OK
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W1ceH7TKkoE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

We just bought a new washing machine and I noticed when I installed it that the filter is at the rear bottom of the machine. Which means I will have to disconnect all the hoses and shift it forward a metre or two to get at it when it eventually clogs. That might have been a deal breaker if I'd noticed it when I bought it.

As for that mandatory tray, that looks like an accident waiting to happen. Bad things happen when bureaucrats start making our safety considerations compulsory. I guess a drain is too obvious.

And this is why on the old belt drive machines they had self cleaning filters (on Kenmore/Whirlpools).
In all the 25 years that I've owned my own top loading washer I only once had it not drain and it was a nickel stuck in the pump hose, a one in a million incident.
And I'll never understand why anyone wants a front loader, top loaders are so much easier to work on and you don't have to worry about a leaking door or having to bend over to load it.

Front loaders use less water, power and detergent. I currently pay about 500 dollars a year in excess water rates. I pay about 1000 a quarter for electricity, so savings on these things can be worth more than the machines.

Having said that, because we are a large family and you can only get really big tubs as top loaders, that is what we have.

As an aside, the cost of these machines has plummeted in recent years. I'm not suggesting it isn't worth cleaning a filter or similar, but once outside of warranty period, it is best to think of them as disposable.

Front loading washers, along with plasma TV's, and grow light ballasts are the Devil! They create huge amounts of RF and pollute the airwaves. For Ham Radio ops, shortwave listeners, and AM radio fans these devices can cause anywhere from slight annoying interference to complete washout of the band you are trying to listen to. In complete violation of the law. Manufacturers of these devices need to be made to follow the law, or have their products banned.

Having said that. We also have both our old toploader washer/dryer set and a new frontloader set in the house. I have enhanced the ground contact between the panels on the washer and put clip-on toroid cores on much of the cabling with limited results. But since I am in charge of washing, it never gets used when I may be on HF.

Those frontloading washers also spin at high speeds, and varying speeds. We purchased the lower drawer pedestals to raise the units and I had to take a piece of 3/4" flooring. Drill a 1" hole in the center. Then cut it in half though the middle of the hole. I then took the two blocks and put them against the front feet and screwed then to the wood flooring. It keeps the daymn thing from dancing all over the utility room.

Nice to know about that filter.

JCB":k9povfb8 said:
Front loaders use less water, power and detergent. I currently pay about 500 dollars a year in excess water rates. I pay about 1000 a quarter for electricity, so savings on these things can be worth more than the machines.
I haven't and nor have I ever had a large family, I don't pay very much at all for electricity and hardly anything for water ($19 - $16 ) a month and if you set your water level properly per load (which most people DON"T) you'll not use anymore water then needed.
In my situation and where I live, I see NO advantage to a front loading washer. YMMV  ;) 

Cartaphilus":17zcfmt0 said:
JCB":17zcfmt0 said:
I haven't and nor have I ever had a large family, I don't pay very much at all for electricity and hardly anything for water ($19 - $16 ) a month and if you set your water level properly per load (which most people DON"T) you'll not use anymore water then needed.
In my situation and where I live, I see NO advantage to a front loading washer. YMMV  ;) 
Mate, I have often said, and I probably believe it, that if it were just me I could probably live on a few dollars a day. Hell, if I were just washing clothes for myself I'd be happy with one of these sorts of things.  http://www.treehugger.com/culture/qa-electricity-free-clothes-washing.html

Modern washing machines use fuzzy logic to work out optimal water level, wash times etc. I've owned a lot of washing machines in my life and the idea that older ones are better is, with the greatest respect to you, just nostalgia. I well remember my mother untangling washing in the tub and battling with the mangle. Bugger that.  :lol:

We have owned our washer for about 7 years.
A front loader gives us more usable space and its a little easier moving wet items from the washer to the dryer.
While it was still able to drain, I found many coins and lots of small plastic items in the filter.
Maybe it will drain better and give us a few more years.
On the other hand, since we haven't used it since I cleaned the drain maybe I will have a really bad day.
If so then we will be "battling with the mangle".