I hate playing plumber!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Again! The drain under the sink in the new kitchen has come apart again. I thought it just needed to be tightened last time. Well, there is too long of a run under the floor with no support. Lets it kind of move about with hot and cold water. That and the plumb ran it though the floor into the cabinet at an angle. There is some play with all the screwed together connections. But it's not right. Going to fix it for now and buy new parts from the main PVC drain line to the sink, replace all of it, and add a couple of supports to keep it from moving around.

I really hate plumbing! :evil:

I just wish they'd make all the fittings universal. Either it's all compression or all pipe thread. I am sure there's a purpose for it all, but I wish it was just "here's your gas stuff, and here's your water stuff, and here's your drainage stuff. Impossible to jury rig it and everything fits.

I live in a house built in 1946 that's in desparate need of being replumbed. I can't tell you how many fixes I have done where I've had to go back to the hardware store multiple times for various adapters and odd plumbing band-aids.

I recently put in a garbage disposal because people in my family can't refrain from washing everthing down the kitchen drain even with the stopper/screen trinket in place. The eletrical part was easy, plumbing part was a nightmare! :x

Never being a homeowner, I rather enjoy plumbing. A little epoxy in the joints, some expand-o-foam and if the fix breaks, some duct tape...so long as my stuff doesn't get ruined, it's all good. :cheers: I'm sure there's been more than one landlord that's seen my handiwork years later and :fpalm: 'ed. It isn't that I don't know how to do it right, it's that I ain't payin' for it, and after the 30th time of mentioning it, something had to be done. :mrgreen:

8)

Yeah plumbing is just the worst imo. Every time I have to deal with it I want to hang myself about half way through the project. Nothing worse than having to mix old with new.

Ours is nearly all brand new.  Just the main water line to the softener is original.  Maybe 40 years old at most since they got city water I think.  The well lines to the well pump are from 1928 or older.  And septic lines just from the inside wall out are 30 years or so old. Everything on this side of the water softener and the well pump is all new. Well is just for watering garden and stuff.

I should not have to be dealing with a nearly new PVC drain under the kitchen sink.  But when they cut a piece of PVC a little too long and used it.  That put a angle coming though the hole in the floor.  Then the transition from the thick walled to the thin walled stuff they use under the sink, a piece was cut short.  So there are a couple of these slip joints and when things settle over time, they leaked.

The fix is to start at the main drain and redo the PVC.  Get it nice and plumb, so when the drain comes though the floor, it's straight.  And make sure pieces are cut the right length.  Gluing joints can be done better also.  I have one of those that isn't really a good fit.  The fellow that did the work may have had a hung-over helper.  But still.........

Carlos":q1iibml4 said:
Ours is nearly all brand new.  Just the main water line to the softener is original.  Maybe 40 years old at most since they got city water I think.  The well lines to the well pump are from 1928 or older.  And septic lines just from the inside wall out are 30 years or so old.  Everything on this side of the water softener and the well pump is all new.  Well is just for watering garden and stuff.

I should not have to be dealing with a nearly new PVC drain under the kitchen sink.  But when they cut a piece of PVC a little too long and used it.  That put a angle coming though the hole in the floor.  Then the transition from the thick walled to the thin walled stuff they use under the sink, a piece was cut short.  So there are a couple of these slip joints and when things settle over time, they leaked.

The fix is to start at the main drain and redo the PVC.  Get it nice and plumb, so when the drain comes though the floor, it's straight.  And make sure pieces are cut the right length.  Gluing joints can be done better also.  I have one of those that isn't really a good fit.  The fellow that did the work may have had a hung-over helper.  But still.........
Back in the late 70's I use to be a plumber apprentice and I can tell ya horror stories
of some of the repairs I've had to do to other so called Master Plumbers work, not to
mention what and who ya have to put with on job sites that the other craftsman (and I say that loosely) do to your work when there to lazy to do there's correctly.
Guys try'en to crap down a commode flange before the toilet is set, peeing in a cabinet hung lavatory before the waste was put in, a whole crew peeing in my tube box, crapping in a tub ready for a final, hammering down my stub up for a weather cock, etc., etc., etc. Welcome to my once world! :fpalm:

Cartaphilus":six3dyr8 said:
hammering down my stub up for a weather cock
That sounds painful :shock:
The only thing I hate more than plumbing is painting, and I would rather quit my pipes than paint! About a year ago I had a small leak in the trap under a bathroom sink. I guessed replacing the trap would take about 30 minutes at the most.  9 hours including four trips to the hardware store later I had managed to get the thing back together. There was no logic to the fittings that I could deduce and I'm convinced that professional plumbers use odd fittings as some sort of sick joke.
Mike.

MichaelM":4h1b1703 said:
Cartaphilus":4h1b1703 said:
hammering down my stub up for a weather cock
That sounds painful :shock:
It was a term my boss used for a seal cock/ insulated hose bib.
Don't know why he used it cause it really means a weather vane but.......
ya don't argue with the guy that's pay'en ya. :lol!:

Been there done that.
Found out why plumbers have those big work vans filled with parts!!!!