I have the feeling I've been hosed...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

On the 8th of January, I shipped two Zippo lighters in for repair using USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Let's see, today is the 13th and still no indication of the package being delivered. Supposedly, Zippo will also send an email to the sender according to their web site, and that hasn't happened either. I did insure the package for $100.00 and in reading the USPS web site, it indicates that claimants have to produce "proof" of value. Oh, I see where this is going...

So, time will tell but I figure that USPS probably either lost or stole my package and that I'll end up with the short end. Sad, because one of the lighters is a special order with the logo of the local B&M and they won't be made again.

Not that I am without a lighter, to the contrary. A fellow member of Alt.Smokers.Pipes gave me a special edition ASP Zippo along with two other Zippos that I recently purchased. I have extras.

But it is still starting to piss me off....

:evil:

I just had a USPS Priority pkg take 11 days to reach San Diego. Don't worry, properly addressed stuff almost always arrives sooner or later.

LL":k94j4i20 said:
I just had a USPS Priority pkg take 11 days to reach San Diego. Don't worry, properly addressed stuff almost always arrives sooner or later.
11 days is way too long being as you paid to have it there in two to three days, but let's hope you're correct.

LL":b1llxys3 said:
PB sent some homemade peanut butter cookies for my May 2007 Smoker. Still out there.

thomas james":80mfp3yv said:
LL":80mfp3yv said:
PB sent some homemade peanut butter cookies for my May 2007 Smoker. Still out there.
The drug sniffer dogs that happened to check the truck they were on sure were happy, though. Them doggie nasals am sensitive. OM NOM NOM NOM

Dogs don't know it's not bacon.

Local police dept. gave a drug dog presentation to my Rotary Club once. The officer said, "Before I bring my dog in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if anybody's holdin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they should leave now." Judge DuTemple,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a known mj user, actually left.

thomas james":f0cigdas said:
Dogs don't know it's not bacon.

Local police dept. gave a drug dog presentation to my Rotary Club once. The officer said, "Before I bring my dog in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if anybody's holdin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,they should leave now." Judge DuTemple,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a known mj user, actually left.
That's funny. Of course, not as funny as the Oklahoma "Penis Pump" Judge, but funny.

99.99% of all I deal with in the USPS gets here or there. (knock on wood) I did lose a pipe I bought between the maker and myself last summer. Simply vanished after he mailed it. It does happen, unfortunately. We both did what we could to work it out. I don't think he sent it insured. But I purchased more to hopefully cover his losses.

After the Jao Reis fiasco a couple of years ago, I always (a) make sure the address is firmly affixed, and often write the address in a separate location in ink, and include a slip inside the box with the to and from information; and (b) insure the package for retail value. It pisses me off to have to pay the post office not to lose my package, but that's the deal.

Jack

I'm convinced at this point that it is lost. I insured it, but I believe there's a 21 day wait before filing a claim. Still, that's one lighter I cannot replace and it pisses me off.

Many Moons ago I worked part time for the postal service, mostly as a rural back up carrier but in the winter I worked full time at a processing center. I worked mostly in Priority mail sorting small packages into the regional areas (looked only at the first two or three digits of the zip code). So there are all these yellow Priority mail sacks hanging around us with a bunch of us pulling packages out of buggy's, some of the guy's are "shooting baskets" with the packages, they would just stand at the buggy, look at the zip, turn & shoot toward the right sack, they were pretty good & hit right on most of the time but occasionaly they would hit another sack, "ehh close enough" turn & shoot another.
So your lighter might be in the next region's processing center getting redirected back to the right spot. Hope it don't get in the Alaska sack!!!

Bill":4m6euoyz said:
I'm convinced at this point that it is lost.
Let's see... it's been only six days, and I gave you a recent example where a package arrived just fine in eleven. It's also been the worst winter in the U.S. in more than a decade. Traffic and terminal backups everywhere.

What "convinced" you?

LL":x4ap06jj said:
Bill":x4ap06jj said:
I'm convinced at this point that it is lost.
Let's see... it's been only six days, and I gave you a recent example where a package arrived just fine in eleven. It's also been the worst winter in the U.S. in more than a decade. Traffic and terminal backups everywhere.

What "convinced" you?
I have to agree with LL on this one. I have not doubt that USPS is having problems due to the weather as are most carriers. I recently had a couple of packages coming from Missouri take 10-11 days to arrive.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, and I can't speak to what might be the problem with Bill's transaction. I can share that a friend shipped me some estate pipes and a tin of baccy from his home in Alaska on January 8th to my home in Georgia and it arrived yesterday January 13th!

kilted1":2r4rlkro said:
I don't have a dog in this hunt, and I can't speak to what might be the problem with Bill's transaction. I can share that a friend shipped me some estate pipes and a tin of baccy from his home in Alaska on January 8th to my home in Georgia and it arrived yesterday January 13th!
Well, there you have it Bill.......you might as well go ahead and right off those Zippos!

:lol!:

Justpipes":9hyb9w2u said:
Well, there you have it Bill.......you might as well go ahead and right off those Zippos! :lol!:
I have. If they actually show up I'll just be pleasantly surprised, but if they haven't within 21 days of being shipped, I'm filing my insurance claim.

That stinks Bill, hoping you get your lighters back the way you wanted. BTW~why are you proudly banned from SF? Was actually suprised to see you gone. :affraid:

John
Bill":5wxumhni said:
Justpipes":5wxumhni said:
Well, there you have it Bill.......you might as well go ahead and right off those Zippos! :lol!:
I have. If they actually show up I'll just be pleasantly surprised, but if they haven't within 21 days of being shipped, I'm filing my insurance claim.

Good luck on getting your lighters. The US Postal service works in strange ways sometimes. Maybe they're looking for some bailout money. :roll:

Anyway, here are the tracking records for two packages I've had dealings with recently. Two things that struck me...why would they send a package to CA for delivery in TX AND why would it take a package less than 6 hours to go from here to Atlanta yet take 6 days for a similar size package to go from Atlanta to here.

Acceptance, January 08, 2009, 4:19 PM, HARTWELL, GA
Processed, January 08, 2009, 10:03 PM, ATLANTA, GA
Processed, January 10, 2009, SAN JOSE, CA
Delivered, January 12, 2009, TX

Processed, January 07, 2009, 12:51 am, ROCHESTER, NY
Processed, January 08, 2009, 3:29 pm, ATLANTA, GA
(Arrived and) Delivered, January 14, 2009, 4:15 pm, HARTWELL, GA

Jim

When I go to work Sunday I will look for your package. :oops: [Just kidding]
Give it a bit more time,there are myriad reasons why it could be delayed.I could
go into a long explanation of how packages are processed but I won't.They say
to make a long story short,don't tell it.Good luck,only a small percentage of parcels
go missing.

Winslow :sunny: