I just tried a bunch of Rob's Random Aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...and Rob, as big of a heart and generous as he is, will have to take this all with a grain of salt. ;)

In the mail, I noticed a pungent odor about my crappy apartment mailbox. At this point, being a Brother, I am always pleased (if not half-expecting) when random pipe stuff ends up in my mailbox. As we "pay it forward," it's only second to sending things out randomly to you guys and having us all paranoid about what little treats will be in the Magic Postbox today.

Well, Rob mentions it about as much as Monbla uses CAPITAL LETTERS to get his point across, and the point came across like GK with a speargun, Yak with his conspiracies, and PB with his delightful brashness--"BCAQ!" Apparently it was just my time to put my bacca where my mouth was and see it from his point-of-briar. Here's the three things he sent me:

Lane "BCAQ"-- I still have no idea what makes this one up. Is it "BCA" plus "1Q?" Whatever it is, it was pretty moist in the bag. I lined it up with the other three to dry them out with a gentle fan. After 10 minutes, still the same. 20 minutes, same moisture. 30 minutes... huh. Must be my good ol' friend Propylene Glycol. Oh goody! The good news was, it was much easier to pick out the sticks and twigs buried in the bag, because those just wouldn't pack down into the bowl. My "Danish Thrift" is one pipe that seems to refuse to ghost, and boy, will this test it.

If I ever wanted to smoke soft-serve vanilla ice cream, I'll be sure to pick up some BCA/1Q mix. There's less calories, and though it doesn't taste like much, it smells like it. After about half a bowl, I was done getting tongue bite from what seemed like burning sugar and smelling the inside of the Yankee Candle Company's clearance rack. Out it went. Jackknife plug? No tongue bite. BCAQ? A rabid, vanilla-covered possum. On the plus side, it was very easy to keep lit, tasted like every other sweet Cavendish I've had the pleasure, and would be excellent for pleasing every non-smoker around me without worrying about my own self. Stay positive, kids. :D

"My Blend" (Labeled BCA & RLP-6)-- Is it just me, or does Lane have this awful habit of naming all of their mixtures with acronyms that make them sound like science experiments? Well, color my tongue a guinea pig. This tobacco didn't dry out any more than the "BCAQ" listed above. Into a fresh pipe it goes, a no-name briar which needs no introduction...so I won't bother. With the exception of something vaguely chocolate-like, I suddenly realized there are fancy soft-serve ice cream machines that do that wacky "mix together" thing with the chocolate and vanilla, and likely, Rob has this in his living room to provide you with this "delightful" combination.

Like before, there's a decided sugary bite that the snappiest Perique hasn't given me, but points to it for not turning into burning roof tar on my tongue, either. Goopy, wet and sopping. It's just more sweet Cavendish, and could have been made with elm leaves from last year's fall season for all I know. Sugar, oh, honey, honey...Rob, you're my candy girl.

Out of the pipe ya go. :lol:

Sillem Black-- Holy crap! A tobacco that dried properly! :cheers: This is how I knew the other two were bloated, PG messes...all three went under the same fan for the same amount of time. This was the only one that was able to dry out to a reasonable level. In the bag, it smelled alright, a little sweet, and a little...what was this... smokey? Do I detect a little Latakia? The smell is remarkably like Frog Morton on the Town, which is not a favorite of mine, but passable. I took out my new(er) SMS meerschaum I bought and opted to break in, as I knew no PG was going to make a mess in there, stuffed and lit.

Take Frog Morton on the Town, tone down all flavors by about 20%, and you have this tobacco. The good news is, the sweetness doesn't completely overpower the Latakia. The bad news is, the Burley in it is the kind that gives Burley a bad name. The alkalinity factor is pretty brutal, and I know this is what it was because it was hitting my entire mouth rather than just the tip of my tongue. Cool-burning and even salty at times, if you like to pussyfoot toward things like Latakia and want to see what all the yipyap is about without straying too far from the candy aisle, this might be alright for you. I found it amusing that they say "...a pinch of bright Virginia brings a subtle sweet note..." I wonder, did they mean a subtle sweet note that played like a transistor radio at a dubstep gathering?

While I was able to smoke this bowl most of the way through, the 4/4 time and same chord bored me to tears, and the sweet Cavendish got on my last nerve for the evening. I ended up taking it out on the neighbor, who was fighting with his girlfriend and kept slamming doors like it was a Taurus birthday party. "Hey, I appreciate you making your business my business, but knock it the eff off, dude. You're ruining my pipe." *angry scowl* He chilled, but was obviously calmed by the chariots of sweet, goodwill put forth by Sillem's Black.

Conclusion--

Rob, I love ya like a Brother, but to each his own, my friend. :lol!: At least I tried. May my Embarcadero (and my palate) forgive me.

I keep picturing Kyle as that kid on A Christmas Story who had the big bandage on his tongue after getting it stuck on a frozen lightpole :lol:

Rob triple dog dared you!

Sorry Kyle, I gotta go, the bell rang.

My tongue doesn't quite feel that torn up, but I tell you what, I'm very glad to have sat down with what is considered some of the quality aromatics out there--it's been almost a year. My interests have taken me by the hand down quite a different path. Those ribbon-cut, sugar-infused blends burn totally different than other 'bacca and obviously need a different skill set to approach properly.

Don't worry, Rob, I have a very special Smoker's Pride "I just tried" for you...it should prove amusing. 8)

Ya can't go and drop a load of heavy cavendish aromatics on an aromatic newbie. :p Ya gotta ease 'em in...

I suggest Essence of Vermont from 4noggins. Kyle you once told me you found Town Topic not to your taste. If you do like maple however, this semi aromatic blend will be for you if you also enjoy burley and a modest amount of perique.

I think H&H also has a few bacys which are non-cavendish semi-aromatics.

Actually, Town Topic was one aro that I didn't mind at all. The "maple" notion was lost on me, I was getting almost orange and lemon flavors. That was a long time ago, though.

Heheheh, yeah me, the aro novice. :p It's totally true. The thing is, I'm not really in a rush to try aros, just because I don't like the sweet. I hate candy, I don't like donuts, and if you want to gross me out, serve me a sopping, clown-colored piece of birthday cake. Bleh!!! :pale:

Cavendish is a weird bird. Unsweetened Burley Cavendish is alright, it really adds a thick, buttery note to some blends that I'm alright with, too. The so-called "crossover blends" (aka semi-aromatics) I've been gifted and had the honor often seemed like one of those combinations that tried to hard to be both and ended up being good at neither...like when cell phones went to also being cameras (and eventually pocket computers)...they started sucking at being phones and were terrible at being cameras (or computers).

So far, it's still McC FMC 2000. That's the only "sweet treat" I can handle, and since I rarely get the urge, it does the job quite well. I'll always experiment here and there, and I'm (mostly) open-minded. 8)

Well Essence of Vermont isn't really too sweet. The maple flavor is pretty light too. As the description indicates the maple, burley, and perique combine to just give the tobacco an "aged" flavor. I don't know what the hell that means but I feel it's accurate. Again, there's not a bit of cavendish in there. I would try this one before giving up on the genre.

I hadn't smoked a serious aromatic in years, was getting negative feeddback from the missus about my beloved 10-year-old 965, and so, looking forward to indoor smoking season in New England, ordered some RLP-6, 1Q plus an aro sampler from Pipeworks. So far, nary a bite from any of 'em. Not even a friendly pinch. But you've convinced me that some pipers' constitutions makes them bite prone for whatever reason, and the usual dodges aren't effective for them. Well, fortunately, there are plenty of other tasty choices out there. There was one tonacco from long ago that I gave up for its bite -- hmmm? blue tin, ship on the lid, very fine ribbon cut, had a pronounced scent that induced a headache ...? Name?? It did teach me a valuable lesson, though. If you don't like it, STOP!! Don't get all stubborn and hard-ass about it.

Storm_Crow":y2srxc4t said:
Well Essence of Vermont isn't really too sweet. The maple flavor is pretty light too. As the description indicates the maple, burley, and perique combine to just give the tobacco an "aged" flavor. I don't know what the hell that means but I feel it's accurate. Again, there's not a bit of cavendish in there. I would try this one before giving up on the genre.
I fear your advise might be lost on Kyle. That boy might just be beyond hope, condemned to walk around in a haze of Latakia for the rest of his days. ;)

I, however, will give it a try. I really like Autumn Evening, but it gets too be a bit much after a while.