I just tried C&D/Hermit Captain Earle's Ten Russians

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I swear, these days it's not so much "I just tried," but "I just tried a few bowls over the course of a few days..." It's been a rough summer with interesting ups and downs, so to hell with consistency. :lol:

My good friend jacquesdubois here in Reno is the closest thing I have to a regular "smoking buddy," and he made an order with a few things, Ten Russians being one of them. Like me, he isn't tap dancing around too much with tobacco, he's going for the gusto, and has only been at this for a couple of months. His palate is damn good, and likes everything from a modest Frog Morton to a bowl of Penzance.

When we opened the tin, all ten of the Russians inside literally punch you in the face. Smokey, sour and heavy with earthy qualities. The "plugs" are interesting, and have a particle board kind of quality, I suppose this is the "pressed" form of tobacco I have heard about, where everything is pretty much done (blending, aging, cutting) and then it is smashed into neat, square blocks. It rubs out perfectly, no need to get out the Bowie knife (David or otherwise) to go to war on this "plug."

Immediately I noted this stuff reminds me of C&D Pirate Kake. Except a little less sweet, believe it or not. Ten Russians is meaty, like smoking a slab of the finest dry-rub brisket you could imagine. Well-rounded, but not too strong. The earthiness, buttery-tart flavor is completely savory, even a little salty. A great presentation of Cyprian Latakia and the "wine-like" notions it has. Like most "Lat bombs" I smoke, there seems to be some kind of threshold where even with a ton of Latakia, there's a ceiling with the flavor. More Lat does not equal more Latakia flavor, at least to me. I seem to taste more Latakia in mixtures with less added. Overall, though, because of the well-rounded approach and result from this stuff, it's hitting all of my marks of a good mix. I like it more than Pirate Kake because of this.

Nautical notions aside, I would feel perfectly happy chopping cottonwood for a campfire while smoking this. Very much so not a good "public smoke," as my neighbors were wondering who was burning a mattress when I smoked it the other night. DGT is phenomenal, and the nicotine is on the medium-to-strong side, so heed warning. I have now smoked this in a cob and briars, and both do well, although the cob mutes the Orientals a little and ads a touch of that "something sweet" only a cob can provide.

Did you ever have tobacco that solidifies in the bowl, even if you pack it loose enough? This is one of those. I only need to tamp once or twice, with the weight of exactly 1/4 the psi of a gnat's wing. Like a rock. It smokes fine, but it just turns into a stone in the bowl. All you really have to do is occasionally relight. I remember Pirate Kake doing similar things--must be the cut/pressing.

Like a fire-roasted beast-feast fit for ten Russians, twenty Hungarians and maybe a dozen Ukrainians. I dig it.

8)

Excellent review on one of my all time favourite tobaccos. Might I suggest you check out another of the Hermit offerings, Stimulus Package - I find that it offers an even deeper, richer "low-end" if you will than Ten Russians; very satisfying!

Kyle Weiss":2uje2oxo said:
My good friend jacquesdubois here in Reno is the closest thing I have to a regular "smoking buddy," and he made an order with a few things, Ten Russians being one of them. Like me, he isn't tap dancing around too much with tobacco, he's going for the gusto, and has only been at this for a couple of months. His palate is damn good, and likes everything from a modest Frog Morton to a bowl of Penzance.
Give him (jacquesdubois) a bowl of my RLP-6/BCA blend I sent you. Show him what a 'Good' aromatic is... 8)

He's pretty picky about aromatics, Rob. I'll just say nothing to him and throw him the bag. :mrgreen:

I like the comment about the baccy ' solidifying " in the bowl. This happens with certain blends for me and I always find that if I pack much looser at the bottom this can help. just my two cents. :)

vaperfavour":07fkbs0m said:
I like the comment about the baccy ' solidifying " in the bowl. This happens with certain blends for me and I always find that if I pack much looser at the bottom this can help. just my two cents. :)
+1 to that. Sometimes you just gotta figure out which ones require a little more space--this being one of them. After the first couple of bowls, looser with Ten Russians is the key. I mean, they're Russian. They get pissy if they're crammed into tight spaces.

Oooh, I'd been curious about this one--sounds right up my alley; thanks for the review!

Great review.
I've got a tin sitting on the shelf, and it's next on deck...

I've heard this is hands down the most potent latakia blend on the market; the very definition of a lat bomb. Those who regularly smoke 70%+ lat blends have called this one "too much."

I want to try it just to say I did.

Storm_Crow":c2v2fjet said:
I've heard this is hands down the most potent latakia blend on the market; the very definition of a lat bomb. Those who regularly smoke 70%+ lat blends have called this one "too much."

This is one of those notions (from whomever it came originally) that has me wondering that the deal is with "Lat bombs" anyway. I really like Latakia, and I don't know if it's just me or not, but I simply can't taste/sense any more after a certain point. When I'm really thirsty, I love drinking ice cold water--but if I try and pour 64 ounces of it in a 24 ounce cup, it just seems futile. This is my rationale with Latakia. Senses and palate simply get dulled.

Any blend/mix is limited to the bowl in which it is contained, lit and smoked. If 70%+ of it is Latakia, and I'm only getting 20% - 30% maximum flavor, that leaves me with maybe a total of 60% (maximum) taste satisfaction from any given bowl. The typical "Lat bomb" focuses on the Latakia like some hot sauces only look at the heat and the pain, not the flavor--that's why Ten Russians impressed me. It has balance and taste but retains its strength from a good foundation of tobacco.

While I liked Pirate Kake, I loved Ten Russians. Unless someone can suggest a possible tasty alternative, if I really have the need for a "Lat bomb," I've crested this particular pipe pinnacle.

8)

Excellent discussion on Ten Russians.

I've had a couple of bowls worth. I thought the high lat content would make it harsh and unsmokable but I was pleasantly surprised. I think it has a distinct creamy aspect that I really enjoy.

Kyle your descriptive notes on tobaccos is wonderful and entertaining and so true to flavor and textures. Thanks for the reviews. I find Ten Russians to be in the top category of Latakia Laced blends. A bit on the heavy side at times and my personal preference is Hermit's Mystic Blend which was Jay Jones first creation and still regarded as the finest IMO. He originally blended these himself in small batches and stoved them in his Antique Copper Kettle which gave them a very smoky, deep rich flavor.
Now all blending, pressing and packaging is done by the wonderful folks at Cornell & Diehl, and they are still all true to the original recipes.
Great review :cheers:

Thanks, Andy. :D I write for myself and you guys, so if it pleases folks, I'm delighted. I try to make up for some of the BS'ing I do on here that probably irritates the daylights out of certain guys.

I added Mystic Blend to my "to do" list--Ten Russians is great, but sometimes I need something a little less voluminous. :lol: C&D seems to do thing by the letter of whomever asks, I know Greg Pease wouldn't use 'em if they weren't good at what they did. Hermit's stuff is a line I want to explore more, now.

8)

Further notes:

Gravity-fill with just enough "packing" to make sure the stuff on the top doesn't fall out has all but fixed the "solidifying in the bowl" issue. This is dense stuff. Probably something to do with the pressing. Tobacco, when it is "under fire" seems to want to expand, as evidenced by what happens on a first light--most will blossom like a late spring rose. If there's no space, it just gets wedged in there.

8)

Hermit had a Syrian Latakia with antique cigar leaf blend that was just too fantastic. All the other hermit blends have way too much lat for my tastes, but to each his own.

My favorite quote about this blend from Gandalfpc:

This blend is so tasty you will swear it contains at least 11 Russians.

MisterE":xvtkumli said:
My favorite quote about this blend from Gandalfpc:

This blend is so tasty you will swear it contains at least 11 Russians.

That's...slightly disturbing. :lol: :p

vaperfavour":xvtkumli said:
Hey, thanks Kyle, I am going to have to try this!!
If you do, let me know--I just have that gut-feeling Hermit stuff is on-the-level, but if you don't like a lot of Latakia, it's kind of moot. 8) Sounds right up your alley.

Storm_Crow":9uhkm762 said:

You know, I would not characterize Ten Russians this way. It's got plenty of flavor but it's not overpowering. Then again, I haven't met a pipe tobacco too strong so maybe it's just me :p