I just tried C&D Opening Night

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
This time of year is the most dynamic of the seasons for my pipe smoking.   Hell, it's this way for tasting in general.   Food and drink included.

Something happens with us as the seasons change.   My father, normally a quasi health-nut, starts talking about getting a giant bucket of Kentucky Friend Chicken and wanting to wallow on his couch, in the dark, watching football.   Not his style, but every year, it's the same.  :lol:

Me, I start taking inventory of my cookware.  I clean the oven.   I start checking the seals on the windows and door.  I throw out old spices and get new ones, take inventory of my whiskey, clean the house and get ready for winter.

My palate goes through its own checklist.  Noticing this, I find tobacco to be on the list of things to pay attention to.   Nicotine is much less important (even when I prefer lower nicotine tobacco in the summer), and it can even react with me a little funny... my head will spin with things that I considered "weak."   Flavors of things start to go from divine to "meh," and at times, chemistry gets a little prickly bite from otherwise silky-smooth standbys.   Yep, it's time to experiment a little, dust off a few familiars...

...the new one in this case was C&D's Opening Night.   I love Red Virginia and well...almost any Virginia (done properly), and by all rights, this one should have been the one.   Foreshadowing, anyone?

It wasn't the one.  What smelled lovely in the 2007 tin of the stuff, what looked ideal in perfect flakes, took me for a ride that was unexpected.  

I don't like disparaging reviews of tobacco, especially with how subjective smoking is for all of us.  Usually keep notes and thoughts to myself when something isn't quite right, because of so many factors.   Season being a big one.   I try to stick with brands that have done me right in the past, stick with contents that are similar if not the same, and bonus points for leaf with some age.

What I got from this tobacco was smoke that ruined my rye (bitter, salty aftertastes with a tried-and-true that works with my go-to tobaccos), a rowdy, almost tongue-biting edge, and even when I took the care to load it into a pipe that is known for its performance.   It's a good idea with new tobacco to give it the best chance possible.  Nuances, were dull, and thus, so was I.   Add to that the uncomfortable nature, it was not to be had.  I never want to walk inside after a pipeful (and a glass empty) and feel like I wasted my time.  I hate that.  I really, really hate that.  I'm spoiled by so many sit-down sessions when I resume my day/evening and say, "...and that's why I do this," with a smile.  

C&D has a history with me, I will say.   I either love it, or I hate it.  It's worth the risk with something new, though.  Unlike my unfortunate dealings with blenders like McClelland, which always seems leave me with a mediocre, never offensive, but never "it's it" kind of experience, I never hated any McC.   C&D is all-or-nothing for me.   Same with Greg Pease's stuff, who goes through C&D, but seems to fine-tune many things to a degree where I either learn it or discover a component/method that doesn't mesh.  

Maybe I hate this tobacco, maybe it hates me.  

I cannot fully blame the tobacco, I am more apt to blame myself.   More to the point, I blame the season, and specifically, my chemistry at the moment.  My choice was educated.  My smoking was slow.  My setup was perfect.  My attitude was ideal.  

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.   Sometimes, it isn't a bear at all.

Perhaps I am the bear, and this bear is interested in the future of hibernating.  In kind, the tobacco was quickly jarred, labeled, and left to sit for its own hibernation for another awakening for when our paths will cross again.   Although I expect it may be the tobacco, I cannot say for sure.

8)

:cry: 

When one pipe's that big a deal, a bad bowl's borderline tragedy.  :( 

Better luck next time !

:face:

a lightweight, mostly golden, almost Burley-ish compared to other blender's Va's. Try it next July on a sweltering day and see what you think. I think it's good but not great.

C&D blends have a spotty track record with me. I enjoyed Epiphany which smoked like an expensive OTC.  I'll smoke an occasional bowl of Billy Budd which I still find to be somewhat harsh, although I like it enough. But by and large I seem to strike out with the C&D label stuff. Their VA's? - meh.  This is strange to me because I love Greg Pease's blends and I think his Fog City stuff which highlights those very C&D VA's is excellent.

Also, C&D has some really loud burley & I have to be in the mood to smoke any mixture of theirs that contains it. I always marvel at pipers who find pleasure in smoking Old Joe Krantz & Haunted Bookshop. :no:

Kyle Weiss":2vdmyadc said:
C&D has a history with me, I will say.   I either love it, or I hate it.  It's worth the risk with something new, though...C&D is all-or-nothing for me.
Couldn't agree more.  I've smoked plenty of GLP, McC, MacB, Dunhill, and other brands, and all have at least one or two "meh, middle of the road" sort of offerings.  Not true of C&D.  Unfortunately, they  miss more often that hit for me...but then, those "hits" are off the charts, so I keep trying new stuff hoping to strike gold.  Take Bayou Morning - it should have been an ideal smoke for me; it was anything but.  FWIW, I also love VAs and am particularly partial to red VAs but my experience with Opening Night is about the same as yours.  

Ah well.  Can't win 'em all.

Edit:

D&B - regarding OJK and HB: And here I thought I was the only one that "get" those blends.

Opening Night. What they didn't tell you was that it closed after the first night.

I would have to agree with you on this one Kyle. Actually, almost ALL of the Red Va blends C&D does leave a lot to be desired for me, especially when compared to what McC does with this leaf. Not that they are bad blends, just don't have the same "wow" factor for me. :twisted: :twisted: 

I think C&D's Opening Night is stellar.  I have yet to try a fuller flavored Virginia flake.  I prefer it to every Virginia flake on the market.  It comes pretty moist and I smoke it that way, but ymmv with drying time.  The folks at C&D are great and Craig had helped me out a lot in the past.

That said, if you don't like it I'm not arguing - definitely to each his own and I wish you well in your search for 'your' Virginia flake.

Edited to correct grammer

My C&D experience is not all that vast, but I have liked everything of theirs I have tried. I figured their blenders must share some of my taste DNA markers or something. I am working my way through 4 oz of Or L'yom right now, and it has been quite tasty...

None of C&D's VA's do much for me TBH, and ON wasn't the exception. They have the occasional burley, lat, or oriental based blend that hits me just right though.

It's about time Kyle. What the heck have you been doing all Summer? I'm an old man. Can't get out and do much. So I sit and read the posts on this forum and one of my favorites is a tobacco review by you. You've been slacking off my friend. For shame! No way to treat a decrepid old geezer and a friend. Try not to let this happen again. OK?

I've never smoked any C&D tobacco that I liked. Like you I hate to make negative comments about someone's tobacco because it's so subjective. But to me C&D tobacco is just plain nasty. There! I said it. Never mind the flames, they won't change my taste. Give me McClelland, Dunhill Flake , McCranie's Red Flake, or a GH Lakeland scented or unscented. My own mixtures are also a the top of my favorites. Sam Gawith makes some mighty fine tobacco too but I just can't do C&D. Rather kiss the butt of a bear than smoke any C&D tobacco. :evil: 

AJ

ajn27511":ssh3143d said:
I've never smoked any C&D tobacco that I liked. Like you I hate to make negative comments about someone's tobacco because it's so subjective. But to me C&D tobacco is just plain nasty. There! I said it. Never mind the flames, they won't change my taste. Give me McClelland, Dunhill Flake , McCranie's Red Flake, or a GH Lakeland scented or unscented. My own mixtures are also a the top of my favorites. Sam Gawith makes some mighty fine tobacco too but I just can't do C&D. Rather kiss the butt of a bear than smoke any C&D tobacco.
C&D's tobacco tends to have an unrefined "rustic" characteristic that I can understand the appeal for, but I often find it a challenge to enjoy myself.

Great review. I really enjoy their "Star of the East", and GL Pease's "Abingdon" and "Odessey", but I've never smoked any of their straight VAs.

Not sure I've ever had Opening Night.

However I do quite like OJK and Night Train. Also Or Olam, and Sha'are Orah. Plus a few others like Exhausted Rooster and Bayou Morning, Virginia Gentleman, a couple of the Burley flakes series...........

:rabbit: 

FWIW.

Cheers,

RR

Storm_Crow":lr6uhzwy said:
C&D's tobacco tends to have an unrefined "rustic" characteristic that I can understand the appeal for, but I often find it a challenge to enjoy myself.
Rustic is the perfect description for what I taste. Sometimes it really works. I do have a tin of Star of the East Flake that I plan on opening this winter. Hoping it's one of the C&D's that agree with me.

The only two of C&D's Simply Elegant series that I've tried are Sunday Picnic and Red Carpet. The first is commendable but Red Carpet is sublime. I can go through an entire 2 oz. tin in three days.

Closed after the first night.... Heh. :)

C&D is indeed "rustic." Gimme SOTE (flame or standard), Billy Budd, even Captain Earl... Know what this says to me? In my realm the do great with Latakia, but look to Greg to make stellar VA stuff with their leaf. That's just my take. I think this is one of two VA blends of C&D's I've had, and I can't remember the other. Says a lot, huh?

Hopefully I'll like Rajahs Court. That may be next.

My best VAs are from Greg, Sammy G, Solani and Wessex, in that order. Might only have a narrow appreciation for straight VA. Ah I can hear Yak now: "When are you you g to tap I to that aged tin of FVF ?" Excellent point, Future Yak. Soon, I figure.

Until then I'm on a diet of EMP and Union Sqare, with a little Embarcadero on the side. True cold will bring out the SOTE and other Latakia. Just gotta try a few more things while in limbo, no matter the result...sounds like if I don't AJ will be messaging me sternly. :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":49qpisc9 said:
Closed after the first night.... Heh.    :)
In my realm the do great with Latakia, but look to Greg to make stellar VA stuff with their leaf.  That's just my take.  
)
What I don't understand is why the GLP blends with Red VAs are beyond excellent, yet the CD blends aren't (to my tastes, anyway). Do they use the "same" Red VAs for both? If so, it baffles me how they can be so different...different recipes and all that, of course, but the VAs themselves seem to be from different planets.

You could probably PM him and ask . . . :) 

Then again, would he say anything that could be interpreted as disparaging C&D ?

So much for that idea . . . :lol!: 

:face: