I just tried Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cats generally can tell if they either like something or if they don't, so I don't have any moral or personal problems with that. It's with animals that are sheltered-in-place or don't have an obvious affinity/aversion for such things that I personally am not going to subject them to.

It's more a cleanliness thing. I have a way-too sensitive nose, and I can still smell bacon in my house I cooked a week ago, and it bothers me. I can only imagine how bothersome smoke might get. If I use a pipe cleaner in my project room or have a just-smoked pipe drying, I can smell it all through the house. :| I don't spend hundreds of dollars and time on cleaning electrical contacts on my synths just to have particulate matter swirling around them. :lol:

Whatever though, your house is your castle.

Somebody say cats? Who wants a few? :lol:
k110.jpg

k210.jpg

How could I deny her the many benefits of Vitamin N ? My conscience would bother me.

Cleaner licking : chewing tobacco's not my thing, but enough people like it. Why not cats ? Let's not be guilty of Species-ism here :lol:

I think it's cool. 8)

:face:

:lol: No species-ism here, if kitty needs a pipe (cleaner), then kitty gets it. :lol:

I can't own cats or dogs, so I vicariously enjoy those of my friends. Less poop, more petting. Awesome.

Hal in a meer...

...not sure if it's just my SMS or what, but holy WOW does this stuff turn into a wildcat in meerschaum! It certainly isn't bad, but I wasn't expecting it! It wasn't so much the Perique as it had to be the Kentucky, reminding me that you just don't mess with stuff from Kentucky. Well, maybe a little in the form of PB, if you like living dangerously. :p

Good HOTW flavor--tread lightly. 8)

HOW is on my to try list, but the shop I visited last week only had the pricey, large cans. I hate to pop $30 on something I won't smoke. I'll look for an open tin to try.

riff raff":rjz1yjhn said:
HOW is on my to try list, but the shop I visited last week only had the pricey, large cans. I hate to pop $30 on something I won't smoke. I'll look for an open tin to try.
JRCigars has probably the best prices on Rattray's tins out there, otherwise, you're payin' out the nose at B&Ms. I hate to say it, but unless I'm desperate, I don't buy tobacco at B&Ms--I try and use them only for pipes.

Considering your tastes, RR, I think you'd like it, but... *shrug* ...I'd send you some but I'm almost out and ain't makin' an order anytime soon. :(

Kyle Weiss":3g80g53e said:
riff raff":3g80g53e said:
JRCigars has probably the best prices on Rattray's tins out there, otherwise, you're payin' out the nose at B&Ms. I hate to say it, but unless I'm desperate, I don't buy tobacco at B&Ms--I try and use them only for pipes.

Considering your tastes, RR, I think you'd like it, but... *shrug* ...I'd send you some but I'm almost out and ain't makin' an order anytime soon. :(
Ah- good tip Kyle, thanks. I drive by JR in Whippany NJ with some frequency - I'll grab on on the next go around.

Unrelated note: HOTW makes your breath smell TERRIBLE, more so than any other tobacco I know.

(...that's how you know it's good stuff... :twisted: )

*brushes teeth--thrice*

8)

I have a jar of this stuff from 2007 that I have been slowly smoking through. I have to say, I am a little disappointed. Its not to say its bad, or even that I don't like it. I just expected more. I find it to be somewhat boring. Reminds me a bit of MacBarren Burly London Blend, just kind of flat. I'll keep smoking through my jar hoping for my HOTW epiphany.

I had some fresh HOTW a couple years ago and I was unimpressed.

Recently, my buddy put his hands on some 10 year old stuff, and I can say I enjoyed that alot more. Even with a little age on it, HOTW still sits in second place behind Marlin Flake for best VA.

I still love Marlin Flake, but HOTW is just effortless goodness for me. Marlin Flake is simply more direct Virginia with a touch of thickness, which is...awesome.

I still have to try Marlin Flake. Natch was kind enough to send me some, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Also, diggin the new avatar bro. Looking at it makes me that much more depressed to be sitting in my office wearing a tie.

Dave_In_Philly":mky86ph1 said:
I still have to try Marlin Flake. Natch was kind enough to send me some, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Also, diggin the new avatar bro. Looking at it makes me that much more depressed to be sitting in my office wearing a tie.
Hahaha thanks... not so much to cause depression, it was a good escape for me after a rough month-and-a-week. Sometimes I'd give anything for a regular schedule and a regular paycheck... :| So it goes both ways. Life has a way of balancing out in the end.

Go get into some Marlin Flake. Natch sent me some MF and OG to get me hooked, too--he does that. :lol:

8)