I just tried Smoker's Pride (original) (attn: Rob)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I open my tobacco cellar with baited breath, mouth watering at remembered thought of a special, red bag of a particularly rare tobacco, one which I purposefully set aside to age gracefully in its Ever-Fresh® Package. I am overcome with excitement to see it sitting at the back of my cellar, seemingly forgotten, and beckoning unto me like a ruby gem from the Angel of The Leaf. Smoker's Pride. I sit for a moment, contemplating my decision...should I do it? Should I release unto the world what could possibly be the final chapter in my never-ending quest for the perfect tobacco? After the Great Chase for "The One" was finished, what would I do? Become a lawn dart champion? Travel unhindered to the farthest reaches of my world, which include south of the freeway? Gain my fame with my unnoticed prowess, making fine cocktails with Tang?

The decision was made: new territory, and perhaps--the end.

The bag fights my every attempt to open the fine cellophane keeping me from my prize. Oh! How they impress with quality packaging! Even the Ever Fresh® Package was a difficult puzzle to physically decode, which is quite possibly how it got its name. The aroma of toothpicks and a light whiff of pancake syrup greet me, reminding me of days gone by...but I admit I wasn't sure where they went. My briar vessel of choice, a $2 estate Jobey with an ill-fitting stem, I pack lovingly with the shaggy, fresh, cardboard box-dry tobacco, a hush came over me when I realized I was about to spoil this moment with a butane, metal lighter. I hurry to find my Love Ranch Cathouse matches, the paper kind, and begin the first False Light...and sure not to miss a moment of the sulfurous flare that come from a True Smoker's proper lighting technique.

It was only after I had gotten past the bliss of the three-week old barbecue chicken taste I realize my False Light had produced a miracle! It was the actual light! Puffing happily, the sides of my tongue tingle with the pain only Master Pipe Smokers enjoy. The tobacco then repays me in kind by assuming my tongue must have been too cold--hot steam and even more tongue-tingles are graciously given to me by this, my aged Smokers Pride. My tongue was quite cold, I declare! I am at your mercy, O Great leaf!

Let me be the first one to report, it is a smoking experience like no other. Flavors of a warm, comfortable house on fire, subtle nuances of just-fallen autumn leaves, and a strong nose of that scent, the kind that hits you when you walk past a dive bar airing out last evening's performance on a hot noon day...what could be better? The taste of pencils. Yes, pencils--the final Jenny Sequoia (or whoever that French chick is) speaking directly to my love of the written word. Fortunately, there is almost no nicotine to speak of, so I'm not distracted away from this pinnacle of moments. Also impressing is how this tobacco, obviously seeking to increase my status among fellow smokers, has made my pipe so hot and impossible to hold that I'm getting a lesson in clenching the pipe, a skill not oft learned so young. Who is to argue with the Tobacco Gods when miracles are right in front of our faces, traveling on poetic, flying carpets of blue, skyward wisdom?

Lo, we reach the end of this experience. I can say no more, as transcendent waves of knowledge course through my spirit. I have been blessed this day, brothers, and can only encourage you to attempt to follow in my path. Do heed my words, though, exalted as they may seem, you must walk through the door, I can only go so far with you, and finally point to the knob.

It is so far the only tobacco I have reserved for the special, round cellar, containing thoughts on paper too good for me, spent batteries and expired coupons. It has earned a such a distinguished place.

Rob, with heartfelt thanks to your generous gift, one that I patiently awaited for so long, this will be my last post. Ar-rev-wa, my fellow Brothers, keep on truckin' the flipsides!

Best review ever! :cheers:
A master class in wit and sophistication, Kyle.
Actually lol'ing, right now!

Do you realize how many quality smokes you've lost? I've seen those bags.

Could you light it? Did it burn and smoke? If so I would submit both criteria for the world to view as proof that you, lacking understanding, given to smoking expensive tobacco, simply came to that resplendent and very large bag of SP with considerable bias. What if you only smoked SP? Then your head would not be muddled. Then you could appreciate what wonder there is in real tobacco.

My advice: fish that bag out of the garbage and puff on 5 or 6 bowls a day for a week. Then you'll know!

Kyle, not sure if it has occurred to you, but you might try mixing in about 30% Best Brown Flake. I bet tha Best Brown would be the equivilant of white icing on a made from scratch carrot cake. :|

I rage-quit this place every time I log out, but I rage-login again out of love. :heart:

Please forgive my rattled (addled) typing skills switching present- and past-tense a few times...my lucidity was challenged for obvious reasons.

(*...in any case, there's no way in hell I'm gonna let Blabla be rid of me that easily...that easily...that easily...)
:lol:

8)

Hereward":lzmiigrz said:
Smoking Pipes and P&C just sold out of Smoker's Pride.
That's 'cause Kyle has bought all they had to cellar for himself :twisted:

One of the absolute best tobacco reviews I've ever read.

Darn, Kyle, it was meant as a joke - never intended to be smoked. :shock:
Give you an A+ on Courage for actually trying it though. :cheers:

While some of that review was rooted in truth, mainly the smoking experience, I didn't throw the tobacco away. Just because sub-par tobacco was disrespected so completely isn't the tobacco's fault, I have this rev and respect for the leaf (and most life) that all of it must come with purpose. I have a small jar for unnamed excess, dried out who-knows-what-this-is, clipped cigar ends, etc. I save this mixture for making pesticides, tobacco tea, to be exact (mixed with a little Murphy's Oil Soap) and it works better than anything bought at a store.

So the Smoker's Pride will not go to waste. E, if you wish hard enough, some Smoker's Pride may make its way south of the border. 8)