I just tried Wessex Burley Slice (2005)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't understand classifying Big-n-Burley as a pure Burley flavor, as it is laced with latakia. I guess I shouldn't comment like that as I've never tried it, the latakia having kept me away. Am I mistaking it with something else? Then again there are a number of classic Burley blends that the world has accepted and embraced that contain the leaf from the Dark Side...so who am I to condemn it?

PeeDee":m32qxrjh said:
Oh man, that's thrown me into a fit of deep spiritual and ethical self evaluation, meatloaf being one of the unpardonable sins in my world view.
Right on, Bro. As you point out, it's the eternal spiritual vs. carnal reality clash. Excellently illustrated by Albrecht Drurer (and any number of other artists) in the age past where the attitude of facing reality instead of trying to evade acknowledging it was taken for granted.

Aristotle was reputed by the scholastics to have been the wisest man who ever lived (how Solomon got overlooked I don't understand). But whenever Phyllis showed up, she turned the tables and called his shots (notice the little whip in her hand). A picture's worth a thousand words -- check the link out.

http://www.paintinghere.com/Uploadpic/Hans%20Baldung/big/Aristotle%20and%20Phyllis.jpg

Even the wisest man can be reduced to a monkey by the allure of the female. It's a parallel reality that plays jolly hell with what would otherwise be a rational, rightly-ordered world.

And there's no way around it. It's inescapable. So suck it up, and

Martin Luther":m32qxrjh said:
Sin like a man
:face:

See? It's usually the woman who feeds us the meatloaf! Goes all the way back to Aristotle, if not Adam. The Apple was probably really a plate of greasy meatloaf with lumpy mashed potatoes, and the descendants of Adam had to clean up the story to avoid further shame. As if running around with nothing but a fig leaf on wasn't bad enough. To do it while carrying a plate of meatloaf? :affraid: :x

To those who enjoyed my Burley ramblings, thank you, and you're welcome. Pick whichever one fits. 8)

To those who skewed my poor topic into this somewhat hilarious digression, shame on you, do I do this to YOUR threads?

...oh wait, yeah I do. :p

Meatloaf, the musician: Yes, deplorable.

Meatloaf the foodstuff: Can be totally awesome! :cheers:

Burley, the meatloaf of tobacco: Erm... huh. :scratch: I'll get back to you on that. :lol:

8)

It's inexpensive.

It's substantial.

Most of what flavor it has is from whatever someone added to it.

It's available nearly everywhere.

It's been consumed for 150 years by millions of people of no great sophistication.

It's even possible that some of it is actually good. Back in the 1960s, Granger came pretty close. (Of course, that was before encountering the Good stuff [capital letter] like Balkan Sobranie Virginian No. 10 . . . )

Meatloaf and burley are like magnetism and gravity : the same set of equations subsumes both.

Kyle Weiss":ty6crvnm said:
Meatloaf, the musician: Yes, deplorable.

Meatloaf the foodstuff: Can be totally awesome! :cheers:
Kyle, you're a great guy but you've got this whole Meatloaf/meatloaf thing TOTALLY backwards...

Yak":vcq8r7el said:
But whenever Phyllis showed up, she turned the tables and called his shots (notice the little whip in her hand). A picture's worth a thousand words -- check the link out.
i would do anything for the leaf... but i won't do that. :p

Blackhorse":vk47ftaz said:
To my way of thinking, Meatloaf has always been highly over rated.
I LOVE meatloaf!! Put some McClellends 'bac on top and dig in :p It makes a great Sat. night supper :p

i would do anything for the leaf... but i won't do that.
I think you're missing it.

There are women who can just "wrap men around their little fingers" and get them to do anything they want. It's the equal-and-opposite force in the male/female dynamic.

Here's another example : The woman in the picture is Lou Salome ; the men are Paul Ree and Friedrich Nietzsche. (There's a second picture, with them pulling her cart on their hands and knees, but it isn't available on the internet).
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phil/forum/NietzLou.gif

What the hell is this turning into? Shut up, Yak. :lol:

Burley is more like sausage.

There. Laugh all you want.

8)

Yak":80p5rvf3 said:
i would do anything for the leaf... but i won't do that.
I think you're missing it.

There are women who can just "wrap men around their little fingers" and get them to do anything they want. It's the equal-and-opposite force in the male/female dynamic.

Here's another example : The woman in the picture is Lou Salome ; the men are Paul Ree and Friedrich Nietzsche. (There's a second picture, with them pulling her cart on their hands and knees, but it isn't available on the internet).
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phil/forum/NietzLou.gif

oh i dig what you're saying... i was just making a bad pun, based on a bad meatloaf song.

Revisit:

In my Peterson (Thurston) no less.

Wessex continues to shock and awe me, in the best ways possible. Notes of honey, oats, and nuts--am I smoking breakfast cereal? Probably not, but the next best thing.

I love this stuff. 8)

I can't wait till you try Solani ABF...one of my faves. I hear only good things about this Wessex burley though.

Boxerbuddy":4xah3z05 said:
I can't wait till you try Solani ABF...one of my faves. I hear only good things about this Wessex burley though.
I've been on either a Lat-bomb kick or a Burley craving lately--stay tuned for Solani at some point! 8)

I have tried quite a few burleys now and for whatever reason, WBS is still my favorite. I only have three tins left from a 2007 order, and I will surely burn through one as soon as it gets good and hot this summer. (A favorite summer blend for me!) I probably should restock a few more tins for next year.

I never did like mom's meatloaf, but I have learned how to make it a crowd pleaser in my own house. Who'd a thunk it?

Say no to ketchup. :no:

tin man":uwdv1b2h said:
I never did like mom's meatloaf... Say no to ketchup. :no:
Ughh..... My indigestion kicked in just thinking about it :x