I need a new laptop.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a computer whiz by any means, but my few thoughts would be; Apple or Windows; and consider buying refurbished. I've just bought a refurbished PC with Windows 10 from Amazon for my daughter and it's spot on... huge savings and far better for the environment.

I'm sure there'll be other techno dudes along soon...

My Toshiba laptop isn't quite that old. Maybe 11 years. Still usable with Linux Mint. But it's showing it's age.

The desktop in my office is 14 years old. Also showing it's age.

Maybe a new iPad. Or build a new desktop. Need another Gooberment stimulus check. Then again. As old as the Toshiba's are, maybe we both should just get new ones.

My daughter just bought a new laptop. HP. It’s one of the 1) works as a laptop w keyboard and 2) works as a touch screen tablet. Pretty cool, though I have a hard time recommending HP other than for printers. 128 GB and under $500.

I use a little Apple iPad Air2 for everything. 32 GB. Close to a 10” screen and a 10 hours rated battery. I have a huge book and music/vid library and close to 1000 photos and it still has 9 GB open. It’s insanely fast, all via touchscreen...love it. It’s WIFI only. But my cell phone (iPhone 10) is a hot spot so I just sign into WIFI if it’s available when out and about or go through the phone and connect via 4G LTE. Bullet proof. Prices go from $150 to $300. Lots of refurbished out there.

Thanks info. I got this thing working a bit better than it has been. The memory is still shot and its very very slow. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Blackhorse":zlrm27tz said:
Have you thought about taking it to a repair place?  Plugging in new or more memory?  Etc.

I took it to a local repair guru and he screwed it up. Did make it run a bit faster, but at the same time he deleted some files I needed. The second time back, he told me to buy a new laptop. I told him to KMA and I left. I could bring it to Best Buy in Sedalia, but why? They'll do the same thing. I'll just buy a new one some day soon.