I need a reamer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at reaming out some of my pipes, the cake is getting a little uneven in some of them. What sort of reamer would I need? Brand, that sort of thing? I have absolutely no idea what to look for at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks all!

A pipnet is an excellent choice as it has four different size heads to choose from. I've used mine on various estate pick ups for a few years with no issues.

I rarely need to use a reamer more abrassive that a brittish buttner on pipes that I bought new as I don't much care for an overly thick cake.

I used an adjustible reamer for years, but upon talking to some other pipe smokers and those that restore, I found they were using the t-handle set that someone posted.

I have one of those and they are great. IMO, these give the best control. Honestly, I have so many pipes that I don't ream as much as I used to, but I am very happy with my castleford t handle set.

I've used the Senior brand, adjustable blades that can be expanded or retracted. Works well, but only on smaller bowls. Even expanded to the maximum diameter, it won't work on much above a 21mm bowl or so. I wouldn't get it again because of that fault.

Natch

Aaron,

I have used a Kleen Reem just like this one listed on eBay for years and I love it. They usually go for around $25 and the one in this listing looks like brand new old stock. Kleen Reem listed on eBay

I have used the Kleen Reem for years and really like the job it does.

I used the Pip-Net reamers but became dissatisfied with them as they are a comprehensive reamer, reaming parts of the boll that need reaming along with parts that don't-read scratching the wood.

I've been using a Senior Reamer (Kleen Ream) for several years, throttled back to its smallest circumfrence, so that I can "spot ream" only those parts of the bowl that have developed excess cake. I'm sure this results in uneven cake, but this practice only targets high spots in the cake. I'm quite satisfied with the result.

I use the senior/ kleen ream also. Works great and easy to control. Really effective on an 0ld estate where the cake is set sup like concrete. One drawback is the tiny 'dimple' of cake it leaves in the bottm of the bowl, but no big deal. A pick, round knife blade, or INOX two blade adjustable reamer from Italy takes it rite out.

Bulldog

I just use one of those blunt-point pipe knives. Over the years I've tried everything mentioned above and abandoned them as unnecessary.

Buddy

Buddy Springman":2wf859hx said:
I just use one of those blunt-point pipe knives. Over the years I've tried everything mentioned above and abandoned them as unnecessary.
Addenda: if the past is an indicator of the future, I'll probably be buying some reamer in the next two months. Every time I post somewhere that I don't need something, a seed gets sown and I soon reverse course . ;)

Buddy

To cover another base....Someone on the old Knox board mentioned they used a doubled up bristle pipe cleaner to scrub the bowl after a smoke to minimize the need for reaming. I tried it and found it to work great. I have several pipes that I experimented with and found they don't need reaming even after a couple of hundred smokes. In some situations I've used a sharp pocket knife to even the cake or a Brebbia/Italian adjustable reamer ($6 to $10) to even the cake more uniformly. I think the key in using a reamer is to go gently and make several light passes rather than trying to remove the excess cake all at once.

Jim...my ha'pence worth

I use this too more so to dry up my slobber. But I was finding little bits of the cotton in there adhering to the bowl.

To knock out the loose stuff fairly often, I use a tooth brush. When I need to reem, I can use a Kleen Reem or the GBD version of the Kleem type reemer.

When presented with a problem in an estate pipe, I went to reem and for some reason my tool tried to go off-center. I sent it to LL at Precision Pipe. I usually know when I am in over my head and to ask for help.