I think I just met my summer fling.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Kaplan

Reaction score
Her name's Storm Front, and she just showed up at my door today. I know you guys have talked her up quite bit, but it took me a while to get her number. This time of year, with the temperature at 101 before noon, she's just what the doctor ordered. I even broke out a fresh MM General for her, and the three of us are getting along just fine.

A ménage a trois for George's summer! You're a lucky lucky lad, my brother!

Doody

Wow. It sounds like quite a 'whirlwind' of discovery for you. I'd be careful of those 'stormy' romances. :lol:

I might need to try some after all of these high recommendations.

Take the appropriate precautions, GK...judging by previous threads, Ms. Front has spent a good bit of time with quite few pipes lately.

idbowman":w1tfu5ns said:
Take the appropriate precautions, GK...judging by previous threads, Ms. Front has spent a good bit of time with quite few pipes lately.
Yeah, well, ya take 'em as they come, Bowman. :p
In all seriousness, this is some good tobacco. I know I'm probably one of the last to try it, but I'm often late to the party. Storm Front lives up to the hype, and really does seem to go well with hot weather, when most of my regulars just aren't doing it for me.

Blackhorse, I went with four ounces. I figured if I didn't like it I'd have enough to make a good gift that way. I'll likely order another eight before this runs out.

George Kaplan":lr56g1m4 said:
Storm Front lives up to the hype,
I too came late to the party waiting 6 to 8 months for the hoopla here to die down, but it is everything it was claimed to be.

Number one of my burley blend lineup.,

Not surprising. 4 oz. seems to be the GREAT price for value break at 4-N's. I'm a major fan of JP's blends and had the guys there make up a half pound (the minimum) of several that are out of regular production...which they will do for any of his blends they don't regularly carry.

To me...John's blends are very much like those of Steve Books (formerly of Rich's in Portland, now on his own via "House of Calabash"). Each one of JP's bends are not only unique in their melange of flavors or singular goodness of a few flavors...they are way out there in terms of FLAVOR!!! Yes, StormFront is a major hit and rightly so...and especially fine as Summer fare. It's easily my favorite. But there are others that are simply amazing...Cool Hand Fluke (for the Perique lover), Virginia Squire, and others. The two I had made up are Oriental Dusk and Crossroads...talk about a burst of flavor! Anyway, I'm a little tired of blends that are so subtle you can't tell what the heck is going on...and that's definetely not the case here.

I'm a huge fan of Virginia Squire...that and OGS have become my regular go-to smokes for warm weather. I STILL haven't tried Storm Front which I've been promising myself I'd order for a few months (that and GLP Chelsea Morning). I've not yet tackled a cigar leaf blend, and it sounds like this is quickly becoming the touchstone for that sorta thing.

This post pops up yesterday. I head to 4noggins this morning to buy me some nirvana.

WHAT THE HECK?! :suspect: Out of stock already?

So how I am I ever going to try this? Is this one of those that they will blend if I order the 1/2 lb.? Or are they out of stock on the blending materials? Who runs out of burley and cigar leaf?

In comparison, it was easier to get FVF and Penzance because my local shop has access to them. The trifecta or Holy Trinity of pipe tobacco is missing StormFront.....uuuugh......I need to break a nice Lovat over my knee to release the tension. :(

WOOT!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I just received a PM with the very kind offer of a sample that I can try! I will start tailing the local delivery drivers until I smell a hint of tobacco.

Maybe this is one they should distribute out to the local B&M stores. There should be enough buzz in the pipe community to make it a good seller.

J Soshae":if4a9gxe said:
This post pops up yesterday. I head to 4noggins this morning to buy me some nirvana.

WHAT THE HECK?! :suspect: Out of stock already?

So how I am I ever going to try this? Is this one of those that they will blend if I order the 1/2 lb.? Or are they out of stock on the blending materials? Who runs out of burley and cigar leaf?

In comparison, it was easier to get FVF and Penzance because my local shop has access to them. The trifecta or Holy Trinity of pipe tobacco is missing StormFront.....uuuugh......I need to break a nice Lovat over my knee to release the tension. :(

Some times when there are a lot of orders, Rich does run out of one or more of the component tobaccos. But that usually is only temporary.

John, please allow me to thank you personally for this fine blend. It was worth the wait.
-G

I ordered 8oz of it a few weeks ago, and boy I am happy that I did, it's a fantastic burley smoke. Not quite my favorite burley but it stands out enough on it's own to merit being a permanent fixture in my rotation. I even designated a brand spanking new cob to it.

George Kaplan":uziulboc said:
John, please allow me to thank you personally for this fine blend. It was worth the wait.
-G

You're more than welcome. I'm just happy and grateful so many people seem to enjoy Storm Front, and a few other of my blends. And BTW, I order my blends from Rich too, and sometimes have to wait a week or so before he gets in more of the component tobaccos.

So Drums...what IS your favorite burley blend?

And vaperfavor...so if you're a Perique freeque...have you tried Cool Hand Fluke?

And John...when I ordered your 'old' Crossroads (An 80% mix of 3 Virginias, Turkish Izmir in a minor role, and just enough Cigar Leaf for accent) and Oriental Dusk (Oriental and cigar leaf dominate this flavorful and hearty blend, which also included Burley and Virginias) I was told that 4-N's supplier of Cigar Leaf wasn't able to supply it because THEIR supplier was OOS. But that was a month ago. Maybe the world cigar leaf supply is tight.

I've always wondered exactly what the cigar leaf used as the blending component was, exactly, for these and other blends that use it. I've also wondered what it would do if that specific leaf was swapped out for some really primo ligero...like Nicaraguan or Equadoran Habano, etc. Most pipe blends that include cigar leaf have very little in them...so would a different leaf cause any flavor differences in the pipe blends? Inquiring minds, etc.

Blackhorse, I have 7 pounds aging. Its good, very good. Needs age though. Of course, I think every blend needs age. I wont touch it again for ten years.

Blackhorse":4whtnbui said:
So Drums...what IS your favorite burley blend?
Currently Solani Aged Burley Flake. But the thing I really like about Storm Front is that it's fairly creamy and has ABF's flavor, although I find ABF to be a bit sweeter and a touch more full. SF is spicier in that very good kinda way. Like I said though, SF has enough going on with it that's distinctly different from ABF rather than over-lapping.