I was schooled!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I generally do a lot of research when I’m buying anything which of course includes my pipes. When I saw Castello Epoca the only thing that came to mind was they are very rare and were supposed to be a Drip Wax style according to what I knew.

I worked on getting this Epoca for a little over 4 months, it was on the Devils playground and I was never getting anywhere with my best offers until the last go,around when I dropped my best offer substantially and was countered with an off of less than I was willing to pay so I nabbed it.

I posted a photo of it on various pipe forums happily stating I’d gotten one of the Holy Grails of Castello pipes the Epoca Drip Wax. I was the schooled on the fact that not all Castello Epoca pipes were of the Drip Wax finish of which around 100 were made, there was another finish which is called Rock Face and less than 50 of these were made. So I waited in anticipation as to what did I really get

Today the long anticipation was over the Castello Epoca was in hand and it is the Rock Face finish. So while I didn’t get what I originally was after I’m more than happy for making a mistake, this is a beautiful pipe and I’m now keeping it smoky with some Dunhill Light Flake.
banjo

28240106757_2dee7cc762_z_d.jpg

I've never heard that. I'd like to see a photo or two more of this one, for no other reason than the education and knowledge. Castello truly is an amazing house.

Really like that pipe style; you did well!! Plus, the DH Light Flake (I still have a bunch of "Light" Flake tins!!) is one fine Ginnyweed :cheers: FTRPLT

Like yourself Zeno I’d never heard it either but who gave me the information is well versed in the Castello Epoca since he has almost 100 in his collection and was also not getting anywhere in trying to add this one to his collection as he felt it was a fine specimen, here are some photos, sorry for the quality iPhone needs to be charged.
banjo

29245620518_e3519a6979_z_d.jpg

29245617278_ea5a0a2aff_k_d.jpg

43117812841_382293125f_m_d.jpg

29245619768_0d79fe3358_z_d.jpg

thank you very much for the additional photos. I appreciate it. The name is appropriate. I wonder if rock climbing or mountaineering somehow plays into it all.

That is a fine pipe you got there and thank you for the great info.

Best Regards,
Richard

Stunning pipe Banjo! Thanks for sharing the information too. I certainly didn't know they came in 2 different finishes.

Jim

It has been very hot and humid which generally doesn’t make for the best smoking conditions but I wanted to get my first smoke with the Epoca and get a photo on the forum. What surprised me more than anything was how cool the pipe smoked to the end, never in these conditions has that been the case except for when I smoke one of my Morta pipes which tell you you need to slow your cadence, again very pleased with my mistake, regards.
banjo